Chiropractic Therapy---Good Medicine or Just Quackery???

Science Friction

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started going to a chiropractor 3 years ago because of excruciating pain which radiated down my left leg. My first visit x-rays were taken that revealed bone spurs on my lower 2 lumbar vertebrae that pressed on a nerve. Chiropractic medicine is not quackery, it works. It took a few weeks but today I go every other month for maintenance. I'm in no pain now but do exercises given to me by my chiropractor if I overdue between visits. Yes I was a skeptic at first but I'm reformed and give a :thumb:to chiropractors.

I'm obviously biased, but I'm betting your chiro is not particularly good. If you want to try something different by an old-school chiro who doesn't seem to be interested in the way things are done these days (like charging you $100 for every visit), I might could help you. PM me.

I've never experienced chiropractic as a patient. And I don't deny that good chiropractors exist. The problem is that there is significant inconsistency in chiropractic education as well as loose oversight and regulation on practice standards.

You mentioned your "osteopath", so I assume you're already seeing an osteopathic doctor. Why did he or she not perform OMT on you? Or if they don't do OMT in their particular practice he/she should certainly be able to recommend another osteopathic doc that does. I am quite biased, but I will always recommend an osteopathic doctor over a chiropractor for both safety and efficacy.

Thank you for mentioning the OMT. I found out that there are a half dozen or so doctors in my general area that do these. I'm disappointed that my osteo doc didn't mention this. He does have me doing physical therapy but it hasn't benefitted me as of it. I'm gonna check into it the OMT procedure. Thanks again.

Thank you for mentioning the OMT. I found out that there are a half dozen or so doctors in my general area that do these. I'm disappointed that my osteo doc didn't mention this. He does have me doing physical therapy but it hasn't benefitted me as of it. I'm gonna check into it the OMT procedure. Thanks again.

You're welcome! Hope it works out for you. Feel free to PM me if you happen to have any questions about it.

I've never experienced chiropractic as a patient. And I don't deny that good chiropractors exist. The problem is that there is significant inconsistency in chiropractic education as well as loose oversight and regulation on practice standards.

That's not really true. They have to go to college and get a degree in it just like any other profession, and there is yearly re-certification processes.

One thing that can have a big impact on your body is how you sleep. Considering that you're basically in a similar position for 6-8 hours, doing it as comfortably as you can will make a world of difference.

After never having any real issues sleeping, about 18 months ago I started developing a very sleep depriving issue with my arms tingling in the night, and would have to numerous times stand up and shake them out to get the circulation going properly.

It was that same feeling you get when your arm feels like it has fallen asleep from being in the same position for too long.

I couldn't understand why all of the sudden I was having this problem. I had just begun insulin injections, so I was suspicious that something about that was messing with me considering it had made me rapidly gain weight and develop high blood pressure. The doctors shook their heads like they've never heard of insulin interfering with sleep.

One nurse asked if I was happy with my pillow.

Truth is for years I've been using those memory foam type pillows, and what she said made me realize that the one I had been using had flattened over time, and was no longer as supportive as it used to be.

I began my search for a sturdy memory foam pillow, (as some are more supportive than others), and while at Walmart I came across a pillow that I was for certain was ridiculous and couldn't possibly be comfortable called the "Side Sleeper Pro".

Well for starters I am a side sleeper. This thing was shaped weird and not at all like a traditional pillow. It's more or less shaped like an uneven horse shoe where one side is a bit longer than the other.

It's comes with a removable cover that can be laundered which takes a bit of getting used to in putting it back on the odd shaped pillow.

To keep it fresh between washings, I spray it (as well as my sheets) every morning with my own homemade fabric refresher (that is pennies to the dollar as I make it with cheap yellow bottle Suavitel fabric softener, baking soda, and water in a spray bottle).

Immediately upon using this pillow my sleeping problems were over and done with.

The thing that I found remarkable is how I'm now able to sleep for hours comfortably in the same position without the pillow moving. I will sometime in the middle of the night turn over and sleep the other way for the rest of my sleep. The weird shape cradles your neck and head, and it's somehow more normal to the shape of your neck and head than a traditional pillow, (though by looking at it you might not think so).

I have now used this same pillow for 18 months, and was worried that it would soon flatten with its poly air-beaded filling, but I just fluff it up and redistribute the filling. I'm convinced that whenever I think it's seen its better days, I no doubt will get another one.

Everyone has their own rituals with sleeping that make them more comfortable. In addition to this side sleeper pillow, I for years have been using a body pillow which I cuddle like a person making sure to also have it between my legs to cushion my knees.

Other than having to get up in the night once or twice to leak, I pretty much sleep like a baby, and aside from a good comfortable nights sleep being good for your posture, it's just all around good for your health to making you stronger to avoid illness, and plenty of good sleep is healing for when you are ill.

Speaking of posture, a good desk chair means a world of difference if by chance you have to be in one all day long. Too much time in the wrong chair will mess you up.

Side-Sleeper-Pro.jpg

BTW ... You can typically find them cheaper than the video mentions... If you can't locate a store with them, look on Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=AlRNVyb6phc

Edited by B-Ball-fan

That's not really true. They have to go to college and get a degree in it just like any other profession, and there is yearly re-certification processes.

Yes, but because there is such inconsistency in chiropractic education from school to school (and there's a whole host of reasons for that that I don't need to get into) then not everybody who earns the degree has the necessary level of clinical knowledge and training to safely and effectively practice. Like I said, there are of course good chiropractors out there, but there are also many bad ones and the average layperson has no way of knowing the difference. In my opinion it is in a patient's best interest to consult a medical doctor (either a DO or an MD) who have a better understanding of the underlying pathophysiology at play than a chiropractor would.

Physical therapy was mentioned, and I would be attracted to that idea if presented with your similar problem.

Years ago I tore something in my knee, and went weeks hoping that the pain would miraculously go away. It didn't... so I went to an ortho who prescribed 6 weeks of PT 3 times a week, and though going in I had my doubts, the results made a believer of me.

One thing in particular that stuck with me was the benefits of thera-band exercises.

Presently I have no body aches to speak of, and aside from routine power walks, I attribute this to 3 things that I do every morning when I wake.

1. Before getting out of bed I reach for a thera-band that I have on my headboard and place it firstly around my left foot and then do 5 reps of a fully extended leg lift, then on same leg 5 reps of pushing my leg fully forward, then place band on both feet, repeating same exercises with band on both feet, then place band on right foot and do just as I did with band on left foot, so in total I do 30 stretches every morning before getting out of bed.

2. I rise from bed, and the while standing straight with arms in the air, I reach for the ceiling and give a good hearty stretch, then proceed to make my bed.

3. I go to kitchen to begin sorting my prescriptions meds and supplements for the day, start the coffee, and power up my computer, and check my blood sugar...

...between each and everyone of these small tasks I take two 8 pound dumb bells and do 4 x 20 reps lifting directly upward to the ceiling just as I did with my initial stretch, which basically strengthens my shoulders and lower back.

I never increase the weight as this is only meant to be a wake me up stretching routine to keep the neck, shoulders, and back feeling loose, limber, and strong, and along with the thera-band exercises, also to get the rickets out of my legs as well.

None of this is time consuming, or even difficult, yet it makes a world of difference in getting my body feeling loose and limber within the first 15-20 minutes of waking.

Obviously for your particular situation if you go the PT route, they can pinpoint proper exercises to get you back and track, and maybe suggest routine ones to keep you there.

I've pretty much made up my routine, but I swear by it to prep my muscles for the day before I set out to use them for anything.

The last part of #2 is most impressive. :thumb:

When you go to a real DR. And you get surgery, it usually fixes the issue. You don't get the same surgery 12 times a year for 37 years do you?

I don't know the statistics on this, but I know many people who have had back surgery that improved, but still have back pain to some degree. Neck and back pain are often chronic conditions with or without surgery.

The spinal column is a very fragile thing and can get out of alignment very easily. That's why some people go regularly for years. It makes them feel better and helps relieve chronic pain.

Highly recommend the Chiro Doc. I was told many years ago that I would "have" to have back surgery. That was over 30 yrs ago. I still run into my Ortho Doc and he always asks me "Did you ever have that surgery? Well, no I did not. I've learned how to take care of and treat my back pain as soon as the 1st sign hits me. When it's worse I just go back for a few Chiro visits and I'm back to normal. Also any neck issues they can take care of as well. The shoulder is a different animal! An aggressive massage therapist and ice worked best for me, along with some stretching exercises. Go to the Chiro! You'll be glad you did.

I've never been to a chiropractor but my brother has gone to one for years. Just doing some google research let's me know I'd rather trust my neck or back with real doctors. One report that I read said the cracking or popping of the joints was no more than gases being resettled in the joints when manipulated, same as one popping their knuckles. It doesn't realign anything. The cracking sound heard/felt by the patient gives a placebo effect within their body that something helpful has happened. Kind of a mind over matter effect. What the chiropractor is probably doing that makes many people feel better when they leave the office is no more than what an occupational therapist or other similar medical practices could do. If you went through a session with a professionally trained massage therapist your body would also feel much better after a visit....., for a period of time.

Also, some doctors believe there could be a risk of a stroke in some patients with certain type neck problems with the "realignment" procedures used by chiropractors.

Another complaint was that too many chiropractors are into the money grab thing, taking far too many x-rays than needed or selling products that are useless to the patient. In addition, they claim that their services can help with all kinds of ailments from high blood pressure to cancer, a too good to be true claim to begin with.

I'm sure that just like other job possessions there are good, average, and bad chiropractors. But a lot of what most do sounds like quackery to me, or no more than what a massage therapist could do. I'd rather trust my back or neck to the actual medical community. I would place the practice of chiropractory in the medical pseudoscience category.

The last part of #2 is most impressive. :thumb:

I look at making my bed immediately after waking as one of the ways that I get myself moving and using my arms. Common as it sounds, there are some who probably don't. Aside from it just being a clean and tidy look, the act of doing so, and any bit of movement to wake the body up is all beneficial to start the day off to face it in a healthy and strong way. Getting out of bed just to go sit back down all day IMO is a bad idea. As old school as it may sound, Charles Atlas would say that the first thing you should do is perform a good hearty stretch (just like animals do when they wake), and say out loud "It's great to be alive!".