What Are You Reading In 2017?

mcpapa

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love James Lee Burke. One of the best in the business.

I agree! I've always loved his stories-authentic and interesting. A writer that I would love to sit down with a cup of coffee for a chat.

James Lee Burke's House of the Rising Sun - C&I magazine

What remains in his capable hands is the ability to create flawed, believable characters; weave intricate, compelling plots; and craft authentic, genuine dialogue. More than 50 years after the publication of his first novel and some 60 years after his first short story was published, he has no plans to retire. He offers up a bit of wisdom a Franciscan theologian once told him: “ ‘In your life and in your work, you make a choice between good and evil. And once you choose good over evil, you stop taking score.’ ... You never plan, you just do it a day at a time for the love of your art and try to make the world a better place if you can.”

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, by John Boyne

My middle schooler just finished the book for a school project. The book was laying on the kitchen table so I picked it up last night and read it in about 2 hours.

It’s about the son of the German Commandant at Auschwitz, who befriends a Jewish boy within the camp. It was really good but at the same time emotionally disturbing. The reader knows what is happening, but the boys, especially the German boy, are so innocent to it all. And, the ending is pretty horrible.

Enjoyed the literary devices. The boys are very young so mispronounce various words. They call Auschwitz “Out With” and refer to Hitler as “the Fury”.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, by John Boyne

My middle schooler just finished the book for a school project. The book was laying on the kitchen table so I picked it up last night and read it in about 2 hours.

It’s about the son of the German Commandant at Auschwitz, who befriends a Jewish boy within the camp. It was really good but at the same time emotionally disturbing. The reader knows what is happening, but the boys, especially the German boy, are so innocent to it all. And, the ending is pretty horrible.

Enjoyed the literary devices. The boys are very young so mispronounce various words. They call Auschwitz “Out With” and refer to Hitler as “the Fury”.

I've never read the book but the movie is very good. Emotionally disturbing is a good way to describe it.

The Anova Sous-Vide Precision Cooker Cookbook. My wife gave me a Sous-Vide Immersion Circulator for my birthday. I have started collecting and reading cookbooks for it. I had never heard the term sous-vide before a few months ago but a coworker brought his system to the office and cooked chicken for a holiday office luncheon. I did some research on the subject and started making plans to get one for myself. I plan on cooking my first meals with it over the weekend. It is supposed to be great for cooking steaks.

In his State of the Commonwealth address tonight, Gov. Bevin said we should all read "Hillbilly Elegy." I've read reviews of it---supposed to be very good.

Good read. I can certainly relate as much of my family came from similar background as JD Vance's.

2 stars out of 4. Having already read a lot of epic fantasy and cutting my teeth on the likes of Tolkein and Donaldson (and more recently, the Game of Thrones), this is not high on my list. I'm not nearly as generous as the folks on Goodreads. I will try to give you some of the flavor of the dialogue.

He: "I think we should."

She: "Not so fast."

He: "Well all right then."

Diamond_Throne.jpg