NCC hoops exodus

Well, ...........while sitting down for dinner 2.0 informed me that Cain, Kelly, & Neace quit.

So that makes 5 if Howard and Sprong also quit.

5 kids leaving the program I dont care if they are strictly JV or not its a big hit at a small school.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How many sophs does that leave in the program?

I know it is hard to compare the programs of Trinity and NCC because of overall numbers, but I perceive schools to seemingly have on/off years in classes by design in basketball. Trinity for example in the recent past cycles will have a senior dominated squad with most of the next tier talented kids be sophomores. The Freshmen and Junior classes may have a significant player, but the depth seems down. It has worked for them the past few seasons and maybe it is not by design, but it allows the torch to be passed when a strong senior class leaves to the sophomore class and then they have two years before they pass it on again. My point is that if NCC has a strong freshmen class, this may be little or no impact as it clears the way for the freshmen to be next in line.

There are probably good personal reasons for a couple of the multi-sport guys as someone posted above. It is tough to play 3 sports. A lot of kids figure out sophomore year where they want to focus and get it down to one or two sports. It is a shame they quit in mid season but with football lifting starting and baseball gearing up, if basketball is sport #3 I can see other sports taking priority as being the reason some of them quit.

There are probably good personal reasons for a couple of the multi-sport guys as someone posted above. It is tough to play 3 sports. A lot of kids figure out sophomore year where they want to focus and get it down to one or two sports. It is a shame they quit in mid season but with football lifting starting and baseball gearing up, if basketball is sport #3 I can see other sports taking priority as being the reason some of them quit.

I agree with several points you make. Football can be stressful for kids who are in programs that expect to compete for a state championship every year. Participating in football and baseball allows your body and mind to mend, as well as, straighten out your grades. As a tuition paying parent, grades are first, everything is last. I hope this thread doesn't turn into a beat down of program and kids because in the end it's not going to make a difference in ANYTHING. Good luck to all these kids in whatever path they choose.