NCC hoops exodus

The biggest mistake in High School sports today is players, coaches, and parents all thinking that players can't develop after their Freshman year. So many programs make the mistake of determining their future varsity team by who the best freshman are 3 years prior. Very seldom to you ever see a role player (Players 5,6, or 7) on a Freshman team end up playing significant minutes on the varsity. Most teams will take their top 3 players from each grade level and that becomes their varsity team. 3 best seniors start, then maybe 2 or 3 juniors will start and a stud sophomore. That will be top 7 players and by mid year they think they have to get the next best Sophomore some minutes for next year. Sad to think that young people are given up on so early. Sad that so many young people don't work real hard and change their potential and skill!

This is very true when I was in HS a teammate who didn't start JV as a sophomore, barely played Varsity as a Jr actually avg 19 a game as a Sr. He grew, developed his game and it paid off.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Times have changed. Used to be high school play was your ticket to continuing to play at the next level and maybe even getting your education paid for. You could play multiple sports and go from one season to the next. It ain't that way anymore. I might not like it, you might not like it but that is the way it is. If the way to getting to the next level is to lift or condition for football and attend camps and forget about basketball, then I do not blame anyone for leaving a team that isn't going to be left stranded by their departure. Same way if a kid is playing JV football and decides the leave and play Fall baseball. Or the girl that leaves the JV softball to pursue club volleyball in the Spring.

Good points but then you have the other side. Its really a double edged sword in todays world. Kids will put all their eggs in one basket and forego playing 3 sports. You see it all the time at Highlands. Kids playing hoops up through Freshman year then deciding to focus on another sport where they can be a key contributor or where they may have a future after HS. The most alarming thing here I guess was the midseason departure.

Maybe if those players were Varsity starters or heck even JV starters. If a couple of football stars that were playing basketball leave the JV team bench to do baseball or even to train for football where they have a shot of playing after high school then it really is not big news.

So why did they go out for the basketball team at all? I would think these players knew how they were compared to the other players. If they were going to quit if they didn't get playing time, they should have never went out for the team.

But, I guess the kids and their parents have to do what they feel is best for themselves. Maybe there is more to this than what we see. Coaches could have given them their blessing and everyone is happy.

Maybe if those players were Varsity starters or heck even JV starters. If a couple of football stars that were playing basketball leave the JV team bench to do baseball or even to train for football where they have a shot of playing after high school then it really is not big news.

I get focusing on your "better" sport, what I don't get is why you wouldn't make this decision before you committed to another sport.

Most kids know where they stand in the pecking order by the time the team is chosen. That is when the decision should be made. There may have been 3 other kids OK with pine time and being part of a great program.

If one walked that is probably a personal situation. Seems easier to do with a couple of wing men. Knowing the kids come from great families and I'm sure the decision was hard. This is coming from someone who would have given a left arm to play hoops in HS.

For what it is worth, my senior year we had a couple of players that were told playing time would not be in their future. One chose to ride it out and 1 did not.

If my kid makes the team after other kids get cut, there's not a chance I let him quit in the middle of the season if only for the sake of the kids who didn't get to put on the uniform at all.

Letting your kid quit mid-season when the season isn't turning out as they would have liked it to. What kind of absolute crap lesson does that teach them about finishing what they've started?

Jv is for developing players but it isn't grounds for everyone to play. You get better at practice and that is where you earn playing time. Just because you are on the team doesn't mean you get in the game. The bottom players get in when you are up big or down big. Your top players have earn the right to be on the court most of the time and when the game is on the line. You play the game to win. This is high school basketball not elementary. Like someone referred to wrestling if the sophomore wins the wrestling match against the senior during the wrestle off they wrestle at the next meet. So if the sophomore wins every week guess who doesn't get to wrestle all year. Yes the Senior because he didnt earn it. Why should basketball be any different.

Have been to practice?

Most kids know where they stand in the pecking order by the time the team is chosen. That is when the decision should be made. There may have been 3 other kids OK with pine time and being part of a great program.

If one walked that is probably a personal situation. Seems easier to do with a couple of wing men. Knowing the kids come from great families and I'm sure the decision was hard. This is coming from someone who would have given a left arm to play hoops in HS.

For what it is worth, my senior year we had a couple of players that were told playing time would not be in their future. One chose to ride it out and 1 did not.

Those kids knew up front because the coach was honest with them prior to the season or a couple weeks into practice and that's how it should be. I maybe wrong but kids should know where they stand on the team and what their roles our.