Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NCC hoops exodus

Featured Replies

Lawnboy, here's this old memory working/misfiring(?); but, did the greatest NCC Thorobred of all time play only one year of varsity ball? Had always heard this, but never knew if it was true? Dave Cowens of course is the Thorobred I'm talking about, but you knew that.

 

He only played his junior and senior year.

  • Replies 217
  • Views 36.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He only played his junior and senior year.

 

I had always heard one year, but now knowing two is correct makes me feel good. Half right is an improvement for me.

Does the varsity coach give any input on who should get more playing time at the JV level?

  • Author
My understanding is one of those boys is a Kelly and from what I know of that family they aren't quitters.

 

Hmmmm but he quit.

  • Author

By the way did NCC beat Mason's A or B team? I know Highlands beat the B team in a scrimmage over the holidays, just curious.

Yes they can but it was automatic.

 

How do you know it was automatic, and not earned?

Didnt Hall and Pangallo get varsity uniforms prior to the season started their freshman year? Just saying it happens if the coach thinks they are ready. Look where Hall is now.

They said it was the White Team if that gives any indication. I'm guessing it was the B team but not 100% on that.

Right or wrong reasons, that's exactly what he did in this situation.

 

And what is that and do you know for sure?

How do you know it was automatic, and not earned?

 

it happened the first week of practice.

Again I am not saying they shouldn't have been moved up, all I am saying and I am speaking for other schools who do the same and that is let the kids earn it. Everyone knows that kids are marked early and automatically moved up, I know that's how it is now a days but wish they would earn it prior to being moved up.

 

Back in the day it used to be week to week as in if you practice hard that week you earned that varsity jersey then the following week it started over.

Didnt Hall and Pangallo get varsity uniforms prior to the season started their freshman year? Just saying it happens if the coach thinks they are ready. Look where Hall is now.

 

Hall would have been where he is regardless.

South Laurel moved a couple 8th graders up last year and played mainly freshman and some jv. I like the way coach davis does it. You have to earn anything you get. This year as the older kids realize and come to accept the younger ones can play and help the team they get more and more time. Its frustrating for the younger kid sometimes sitting when they know they can help but I think its best for the team this way.

Again I am not saying they shouldn't have been moved up, all I am saying and I am speaking for other schools who do the same and that is let the kids earn it. Everyone knows that kids are marked early and automatically moved up, I know that's how it is now a days but wish they would earn it prior to being moved up.

 

Back in the day it used to be week to week as in if you practice hard that week you earned that varsity jersey then the following week it started over.

 

This statement does not mean that a player didn't earn that move....I totally disagree with your premise that just because a kid is moved to varsity, at any time, and (your words) "marked early and automatically moved up" that the kid didn't earn it.

 

Again, do you think these coaches haven't seen these kids play enough to know what they have ?

 

Your position is much, much more of an indictment of an entire coaching staff, that has had some incredible success the past few years, rather than a kid being "automatically moved up". Pretty sure these coaches evaluate talent on a daily and weekly basis....maybe a little respect for their decisions is in order ?

This statement does not mean that a player didn't earn that move....I totally disagree with your premise that just because a kid is moved to varsity, at any time, and (your words) "marked early and automatically moved up" that the kid didn't earn it.

 

Again, do you think these coaches haven't seen these kids play enough to know what they have ?

 

Your position is much, much more of an indictment of an entire coaching staff, that has had some incredible success the past few years, rather than a kid being "automatically moved up". Pretty sure these coaches evaluate talent on a daily and weekly basis....maybe a little respect for their decisions is in order ?

 

Again I am not saying they aren't deserving but let them walk in the door practice with their class and then move them up, is that a little more clear?

 

I am not just talking about NCC and I give coaches credit. The kid may have the talent but I guess in your mind a coach is that good by watching him play grade school ball or even AAU that he is mentally ready to go up against 17 and 18 year olds. I believe some are but I have also seen in many cases where a kid talent wise moves up but doesn't get any better because he thinks now I have done all I need to do at 14 and 15. Let me repeat myself AGAIN I am not saying they shouldn't be moved up.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.