NCC hoops exodus

Don't pretend like you know these boys and their reasons why they left.

I don't pretend to know these kids at all; just know that my dinosaur parents and their one rule "you finish what you start, you don't quit" was a perfect match to every successful coach's mini-sermon...."when the going gets tough, the tough get going".

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where did I say that getting in a JV game doesn't make you a better player ? I fully understand what JV games are for, however, I also fully understand what JV Program is for....development....which includes practice and being a part of the team to be involved in practice.

If your approach is that these kids were "practice dummies" then they weren't really going to be next level in your mind anyway, right ?

Let me ask you this: Is playing time on the JV level more important than development at the Varsity level ?

If they weren't playing then I believe they were used as practice dummies, are they good enough to play JV ball absolutely.

I believe JV is for development, especially if they are sophomores. I am not saying they should be playing varsity but the coach kept them on JV because they needed to work on their game and get better and yes practice is part of getting better but to not play them in a JV is ridiculous.

There is to much emphasis on winning on the Freshman and JV levels instead of developing kids IMO. They are on the team for a reason at those levels because you believe they are talented enough to be and that they need some and part of that work is game experience or am I missing something?

I don't pretend to know these kids at all; just know that my dinosaur parents and their one rule was a perfect match to every successful coach's mini-sermon...."when the going gets tough, the tough get going".

My understanding is one of those boys is a Kelly and from what I know of that family they aren't quitters.

If they weren't playing then I believe they were used as practice dummies, are they good enough to play JV ball absolutely.

I believe JV is for development, especially if they are sophomores. I am not saying they should be playing varsity but the coach kept them on JV because they needed to work on their game and get better and yes practice is part of getting better but to not play them in a JV is ridiculous.

There is to much emphasis on winning on the Freshman and JV levels instead of developing kids IMO. They are on the team for a reason at those levels because you believe they are talented enough to be and that they need some and part of that work is game experience or am I missing something?

.....so this is a playing time issue ?

Young man is a super talented RB and saw enough to know he is a strong competitor on the football field.

I don't believe that competitiveness changes on the court, I saw him paly a view basketball games before he injured his shoulder and he was a pretty good player.

I don't believe that competitiveness changes on the court, I saw him paly a view basketball games before he injured his shoulder and he was a pretty good player.

So an injury played a role in his decision? Completely missed that in this thread.

Yes this is about playing time, I get if its varsity you play your best.

I suspect that this is where you lose a lot of people who may have been sympathetic to the cause....

I also suspect you have at least 1 freshman that is better than those that exited the program, so maybe they took a peek in the rear view and decided they could make themselves better football / baseball contributors based on that....although I suspect you may have a reasonably good footballer in that mix as well.

From what I understand some of the kids were told they weren't getting playing time because they didn't attend summer workouts, so now playing time is based on summer workouts at a school where sports are depending on kids to play multiple sports. I guess working out for football and if they play summer baseball should be out for them to because they need to be playing basketball in the summer.

This is the exact reason why we now have "specialization" in sports along with the increase in injuries.

I suspect that this is where you lose a lot of people who may have been sympathetic to the cause....

I also suspect you have at least 1 freshman that is better than those that exited the program, so maybe they took a peek in the rear view and decided they could make themselves better football / baseball contributors based on that....although I suspect you may have a reasonably good footballer in that mix as well.

My point is regardless of who it is, is that I am not saying equal playing time but should get playing time on the JV level IMO.

My point is regardless of who it is, is that I am not saying equal playing time but should get playing time on the JV level IMO.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but what we don't know is how the playing time discussion was handled by the players prior to exiting the team....that would be telling to the remainder of the story.

My understanding is the reason that was giving is because they didn't attend summer workouts is why they aren't given playing time. If that is the case that is a sad excuse because what if a kid is working, playing another sport or maybe just working on his own or with a trainer. IMO you don't decide playing time in July.

Jimmy Pangallo knows the game and is well respected in the coaching community, I'm sure there is a good reason why playing time might have been an issue with those that left.

Neace, Cain, & Kelly are all talented multi-sport athletes. Would I have liked to seen them "ride out the storm"....sure, however I'm not going to fault a kid for his decision, I'm sure it wasn't an easy one knowing them.