Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NCC hoops exodus

Featured Replies

This statement does not mean that a player didn't earn that move....I totally disagree with your premise that just because a kid is moved to varsity, at any time, and (your words) "marked early and automatically moved up" that the kid didn't earn it.

 

Again, do you think these coaches haven't seen these kids play enough to know what they have ?

 

Your position is much, much more of an indictment of an entire coaching staff, that has had some incredible success the past few years, rather than a kid being "automatically moved up". Pretty sure these coaches evaluate talent on a daily and weekly basis....maybe a little respect for their decisions is in order ?

 

In your opinion have they earned by a coach simply watching them play and not actually getting them on the court in your gym and in your system?

  • Replies 217
  • Views 36.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Again I am not saying they shouldn't have been moved up, all I am saying and I am speaking for other schools who do the same and that is let the kids earn it. Everyone knows that kids are marked early and automatically moved up, I know that's how it is now a days but wish they would earn it prior to being moved up.

 

Back in the day it used to be week to week as in if you practice hard that week you earned that varsity jersey then the following week it started over.

 

This is apples and oranges, but...

 

...Way back in the day when I was on the wrestling team, a JV guy could challenge the incumbent varsity guy in practice. If he won, he wrestled varsity the next match. Again, apples and oranges due to the nature of the two sports, but that's how it was for us.

it happened the first week of practice.

 

Just because it was the first week of practice doesn't mean it was not earned during that week. You also seem to have certain parameters, and guidelines, of when it is OK (or not OK) to evaluate a kid and then make a decision to move them up.

 

If you have someone who is clearly able to perform at a higher level; who cares if this determination is made after one practice, one week, or one month.... or even when they are playing on another team.

So you all are saying that none of this is predetermined before these kids even set foot in high school?

So you all are saying that none of this is predetermined before these kids even set foot in high school?

 

I'm not saying it is, or isn't.

 

If a freshman is clearly able, and the coaching staff believes they are also deserving, of playing JV and/or Varsity.... I am saying that I don't care when/where this is decided.

I'm not saying it is, or isn't.

 

If a freshman is clearly able, and the coaching staff believes they are also deserving, of playing JV and/or Varsity.... I am saying that I don't care when/where this is decided.

 

Understand what your saying, guess I'm a little old school and think kids are coddled these days not all but a lot are.

I still believe that Freshman and JV is for development and if you made the team you should get playing time. I am not saying equal playing time but playing time and develop these kids in practice and games.

I still believe that Freshman and JV is for development and if you made the team you should get playing time. I am not saying equal playing time but playing time and develop these kids in practice and games.

 

Agreed. If they were good enough to make the team(s), they should play sometime.

Again I am not saying they aren't deserving but let them walk in the door practice with their class and then move them up, is that a little more clear?

 

I am not just talking about NCC and I give coaches credit. The kid may have the talent but I guess in your mind a coach is that good by watching him play grade school ball or even AAU that he is mentally ready to go up against 17 and 18 year olds. I believe some are but I have also seen in many cases where a kid talent wise moves up but doesn't get any better because he thinks now I have done all I need to do at 14 and 15. Let me repeat myself AGAIN I am not saying they shouldn't be moved up.

 

Yes, that's why they are still coaching....in particular if they have watched any of these kids on the summer circuit, then they know what they have...no questions

In your opinion have they earned by a coach simply watching them play and not actually getting them on the court in your gym and in your system?

 

Don't fool yourself, these kids are in "the system" that you speak of...so again, yes, if the coach decides they want a kid on Varsity because of what they have seen, irrespective of where they have seen it...they are the coach and their job is to put what they believe is the best team of players on their court...earned or not, the coach wants what they want based on what information they have gleaned.

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

If a coach thinks they have earned it while watching them on the AAU circuit or on their respective grade school teams then so be it. IMO that's why a lot of kids get past up or missed because there is more to just watching them play that makes a worthy of a varsity jersey AGAIN IMO.

Moving kids up to early can hurt development sometimes too. I have seen kids moved to varsity and just become a spot up shooter at that level because they can not finish at rim like they can against kids their own age. Its tricky sometimes to know when to make the move.

 

...Way back in the day when I was on the wrestling team.

 

A picture of papa from back in the day. :lol2:

 

papa.jpg

No one is saying that Jimmy Pangallo isn't a good coach and isn't respected and maybe he is given direction from the head coach I don't know but the bottom line is JV players should be playing.

 

In my opinion those freshman who are talented that's for sure should not have gotten moved up before the season started, what happened to the days where its earned and not just at NCC but to many kids are marked way to early and others aren't given the opportunity.

 

Certainly agree with your comment that some kids are coronated as future stars WAY too soon, and others are cast aside WAY too soon. Have seen it happen many times. I think this puts a lot of pressure on the kids called up to perform, and discourages the kids left behind who may have developed given the chance.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.