Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NCC hoops exodus

Featured Replies

The JV team won 52-50 in OT at Mason tonight. It was a good game with NCC getting out to a big lead of 12+ in the first half only to see Mason come back in the second half and take a 6 point lead late. NCC battled back and had a shot at the buzzer to win but it rimmed out. NCC took control in OT an was up by 4 with seconds left and conceded the final bucket by Mason to cut it to 2 as time ran out. They called up 2 additional Freshmen: Josh Martin and Eli Howard to play tonight and both played well. That gave them 9 players. Everyone contributed and I think just about everyone scored. It was great to see Jared Iles back on the court. In his first game back, he was definitely the vocal leader of the team.

 

As for the topic of this thread. I think the 3 boys that left (and there were only 3) made the decision that was best for them and by no means did they leave the team in a bind. I'm one of those "finish what you started" guys but I also am able to see when it might not be the best thing to do. I've seen these boys give their all on the football field so I don't question their dedication one bit. All 3 are crazy-good athletes and it didn't seem to make much sense for them to miss out on about 3 months of lifting, condition, etc. to play a sport where they weren't getting much PT. The other sports they play will benefit from the extra time that they will get to train, rest and hit the books. I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to give up a sport you've been playing for years so I'm sure they didn't take it lightly.

 

The freshmen class is good and very even across the board. They kept 13 on the team and the coaches do a good job of trying to get them all minutes but there just aren't enough minutes in a 24 minute game to get them all enough playing time. Calling some of them up to JV will only help them develop more.

 

I don't sense any issues with the program and it certainly wasn't a "Mass Exodus". From what I've heard there weren't any parent issues or attitude issues or any other negative vibes. The boys decided to move on and did so respectfully and with class.

 

Yes, there is a lot of change this year and on the heels of one of the most successful seasons in their history on the varsity level, there might be some looking for some cracks but I think things will settle in nicely for this group if they keep their heads on straight.

 

Sounds like the new coach is making more changes for the positive that will develop future players for years to come.

  • Replies 217
  • Views 36.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will sure make it easier "to quit" the next time things aren't working out exactly like these young people want and expect. College, jobs, marriage, etc.? Quitting can become an easy course of action when times get tough and instant gratification isn't there.

 

I understand what you are saying but like someone mentioned before, I'll give the kids the benefit of the doubt. Even more so knowing that kids read was is written on here too.

Will sure make it easier "to quit" the next time things aren't working out exactly like these young people want and expect. College, jobs, marriage, etc.? Quitting can become an easy course of action when times get tough and instant gratification isn't there.

 

Don't pretend like you know these boys and their reasons why they left.

IMO, its JV are you playing to win or develop them and get them ready to play varsity. The problem is kids do not have to earn anything, the freshman is very good but the boys who got moved very early (before the season started) didn't have to earn it was handed to them. I am by no means saying they aren't good enough but at least let them believe they have earned the right to wear that varsity or JV jersey.

 

A coach on JV should get everyone in and no I don't believe everyone gets a trophies but I do believe JV is to get them ready to play varsity and if they aren't good enough then they should have cut those boys and not use them as practice dummies so yes I believe it is a problem and a bad message when this many leave a program at once.

IMO, its JV are you playing to win or develop them and get them ready to play varsity. The problem is kids do not have to earn anything, the freshman is very good but the boys who got moved very early (before the season started) didn't have to earn it was handed to them. I am by no means saying they aren't good enough but at least let them believe they have earned the right to wear that varsity or JV jersey.

 

A coach on JV should get everyone in and no I don't believe everyone gets a trophies but I do believe JV is to get them ready to play varsity and if they aren't good enough then they should have cut those boys and not use them as practice dummies so yes I believe it is a problem and a bad message when this many leave a program at once.

 

Sorry, I disagree with the bolded. That's for middle school (if it's done even then, I know a lot of middle schools don't play a lot of kids). Once you get to high school all bets are off, you play your best kids that put the team in position to win games (all thing being equal, not accounting for attitude problems, grades, etc.), be it freshman, jv, etc.

 

Now, one thing I DON'T agree with when it come to jv is a lot of teams playing juniors. Now, I know smaller schools may have to do this in order to have a jv team, and if it has to be done to put a team on the floor then ok... but I have seen jv teams with 4-5 juniors on the floor at the same time with plenty of sophomores and freshman watching. Back in my day (I know, but give me my old man "get off my lawn" moment) juniors didn't play jv ball. If you weren't good enough to get on the floor for varsity as a junior, then you didn't play till you got good enough. Now, doing this will help develop some of your younger players because the coach has to play freshman and sophomores on jv. Just my thoughts.

Sorry, I disagree with the bolded. That's for middle school (if it's done even then, I know a lot of middle schools don't play a lot of kids). Once you get to high school all bets are off, you play your best kids that put the team in position to win games (all thing being equal, not accounting for attitude problems, grades, etc.), be it freshman, jv, etc.

 

Now, one thing I DON'T agree with when it come to jv is a lot of teams playing juniors. Now, I know smaller schools may have to do this in order to have a jv team, and if it has to be done to put a team on the floor then ok... but I have seen jv teams with 4-5 juniors on the floor at the same time with plenty of sophomores and freshman watching. Back in my day (I know, but give me my old man "get off my lawn" moment) juniors didn't play jv ball. If you weren't good enough to get on the floor for varsity as a junior, then you didn't play till you got good enough. Now, doing this will help develop some of your younger players because the coach has to play freshman and sophomores on jv. Just my thoughts.

 

There seems to be some flawed logic here: If you aren't good enough to play V as a junior, then you don't get to play until you are better, AND you don't get to play JV ball...because that's for Freshman and Sophomores ? Then how do juniors get better, and if they don't, then don't you have a talent gap the following year...(assuming no juniors play V)

 

Some teams just have great depth at the Senior level and Juniors are playing JV to get better....

There seems to be some flawed logic here: If you aren't good enough to play V as a junior, then you don't get to play until you are better, AND you don't get to play JV ball...because that's for Freshman and Sophomores ? Then how do juniors get better, and if they don't, then don't you have a talent gap the following year...(assuming no juniors play V)

 

Some teams just have great depth at the Senior level and Juniors are playing JV to get better....

 

You get better by beating the guys in practice. If you can't contribute to the varsity as a junior...well...:idunno: Juniors should have gotten court time by the time they are juniors playing freshman/jv ball as freshman and sophomores.

 

Again, for smaller schools I get that to even have a jv team juniors may have to play just to field a team. That's fine. Bigger schools with plenty of players? No.

 

And this opinion is coming from a guy who as a junior played behind an all state center and hardly touched the court. I know everyone won't agree with my opinion, and that's cool, but I personally know a lot that do.

Sorry, I disagree with the bolded. That's for middle school (if it's done even then, I know a lot of middle schools don't play a lot of kids). Once you get to high school all bets are off, you play your best kids that put the team in position to win games (all thing being equal, not accounting for attitude problems, grades, etc.), be it freshman, jv, etc.

 

Now, one thing I DON'T agree with when it come to jv is a lot of teams playing juniors. Now, I know smaller schools may have to do this in order to have a jv team, and if it has to be done to put a team on the floor then ok... but I have seen jv teams with 4

 

So your saying pay to win regardless but don't develop kids and get them ready, these boys are sophomore's and one junior. If that's the mentally and you know your not gong to play them then cut them and save them from wasting their time being practice dummies. Those boys had talent why not work with them on getting better then?

Sorry, I disagree with the bolded. That's for middle school (if it's done even then, I know a lot of middle schools don't play a lot of kids). Once you get to high school all bets are off, you play your best kids that put the team in position to win games (all thing being equal, not accounting for attitude problems, grades, etc.), be it freshman, jv, etc.

 

Now, one thing I DON'T agree with when it come to jv is a lot of teams playing juniors. Now, I know smaller schools may have to do this in order to have a jv team, and if it has to be done to put a team on the floor then ok... but I have seen jv teams with 4

 

So your saying pay to win regardless but don't develop kids and get them ready, these boys are sophomore's and one junior. If that's the mentally and you know your not gong to play them then cut them and save them from wasting their time being practice dummies. Those boys had talent why not work with them on getting better then?

 

My comment wasn't directed at the NCC kids, I was just making a general comment regarding juniors playing JV. But weren't the NCC kids sophomores anyway?

So your saying pay to win regardless but don't develop kids and get them ready, these boys are sophomore's and one junior. If that's the mentally and you know your not gong to play them then cut them and save them from wasting their time being practice dummies. Those boys had talent why not work with them on getting better then?

 

Being a "practice dummy" is where you get better. Do you think coaches keep every kid on the final roster thinking they are going to contribute significant game minutes ?

 

"Cutting them loose" doesn't help your team. Keep the best that come out, knowing that the bottom 6 - 7 are the ones who make your starters better, and while they are doing that, in practice, getting better themselves.

 

If a kid doesn't know where they rank in the talent pecking order they have 2 choices: Get Better and Move Up, or quit because...well, because they are quitters.

 

Quitting in the middle of the season, not ok unless a family emergency situation or abuse that involves actual administrative involvement.

So your saying pay to win regardless but don't develop kids and get them ready, these boys are sophomore's and one junior. If that's the mentally and you know your not gong to play them then cut them and save them from wasting their time being practice dummies. Those boys had talent why not work with them on getting better then?

 

Being a "practice dummy" is where you get better. Do you think coaches keep every kid on the final roster thinking they are going to contribute significant game minutes ?

 

"Cutting them loose" doesn't help your team. Keep the best that come out, knowing that the bottom 6 - 7 are the ones who make your starters better, and while they are doing that, in practice, getting better themselves.

 

If a kid doesn't know where they rank in the talent pecking order they have 2 choices: Get Better and Move Up, or quit because...well, because they are quitters.

 

Quitting in the middle of the season, not ok unless a family emergency situation or abuse that involves actual administrative involvement.

 

So being a practice dummy makes you better but not getting in a JV game doesn't.

 

Let me ask this what do you think JV games are for?

So being a practice dummy makes you better but not getting in a JV game doesn't.

 

Let me ask this what do you think JV games are for?

 

For the players who aren't quite good enough to see much time in the varsity games.

So being a practice dummy makes you better but not getting in a JV game doesn't.

 

Let me ask this what do you think JV games are for?

 

Where did I say that getting in a JV game doesn't make you a better player ? I fully understand what JV games are for, however, I also fully understand what JV Program is for....development....which includes practice and being a part of the team to be involved in practice.

 

If your approach is that these kids were "practice dummies" then they weren't really going to be next level in your mind anyway, right ?

 

Let me ask you this: Is playing time on the JV level more important than development at the Varsity level ?

From what I understand some of the kids were told they weren't getting playing time because they didn't attend summer workouts, so now playing time is based on summer workouts at a school where sports are depending on kids to play multiple sports. I guess working out for football and if they play summer baseball should be out for them to because they need to be playing basketball in the summer.

For the players who aren't quite good enough to see much time in the varsity games.

 

Exactly and gain experience and to get them ready for the next season unless we all think kids don't get better, these boys are sophomores for crying out loud.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.