The National Mood

rockmom

If so many find the content of what the cast member said objectionable, and his freedom to do so, that in itself demonstrates the troubling condition the nation is in if the mindset of a mind numbing number of Americans can't agree on the unifying basis of our freedoms, "With Liberty and Justice for All".

Pence's track record shows that he dramatically could use a refresher course on such things, and the cast of Hamilton profoundly gave it to him in this teaching moment. It was their stage, and they didn't waste the opportunity to say what very much timely needed to be said, and what he so very much needed to hear.

I beg that for just once for the sake of the nation that those who object could allow themselves to put their biases aside, Pence included, and hear this all important message with an open mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNpfnEq_FAY

Here lies the problem. The majority of Repubicans are not interested in taking away anybody's rights and they are tired of being accused of having bias against everybody. The more people keep telling them how they are supposed to act or what they are supposed to accept, the more they will reject that.

I found the entire incident to be in poor taste; that doesn't mean I disagree with the words spoken. It was a public hijacking. The sky is not falling, Trump is not the bogeyman and nobody's civil rights are being taken away.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here lies the problem. The majority of Repubicans are not interested in taking away anybody's rights and they are tired of being accused of having bias against everybody. The more people keep telling them how they are supposed to act or what they are supposed to accept, the more they will reject that.

I found the entire incident to be in poor taste; that doesn't mean I disagree with the words spoken. It was a public hijacking. The sky is not falling, Trump is not the bogeyman and nobody's civil rights are being taken away.

The words were directed at Mike Pence.

See: History of Mike Pence

Would that Hamilton group do the same to Hillary or her VP if she had won.

Of course not.

There lies the hypocrisy and racist views they have.

No, probably because they wouldn't have felt the pressing need to deliver this message to her or her VP.

Seriously? :eek:

"Pence is not the bogeyman and nobody's civil rights are being taken away".

I sincerely hope not, but Pence has a record of trying to.

Do you believe that these two men will be able to turn the United States of America into a modern nazi Germany? That the USA is so weak that our government and our people would allow this? The overdramatic reaction to this Presidency is absolutely ridiculous.

My thoughts: Sessions was a very vigorous DA in prosecuting civil rights cases, including one with 2 clan members where he asked for and got the death penalty.

Social media has so many false stories and half told stories that you could spend all day searching for the truth. I enjoy the both sides of this forum.so I eavesdrop a lot. So thank you all.

We've already heard talk of a Muslim registry (justified by the Japanese internment during WWII), Trump has said he plans to deport somewhere between three and 11 million immigrants and might create a massive deportation force to do it (how this could be done in a way that wouldn't steamroll civil rights is better left to fantasy), he's proposed expanding the controversial NYC "stop and frisk" policy that was shut down in federal court for violating the civil rights of minorities to the entire nation, and the people he's appointed to his administration so far appear ready to get the ball rolling on a lot of these things, including Pence, who is known as one of the most ardent anti-LGBT politicians in the country.

So, I don't find fears over civil rights under Trump to be unfounded or his violating civil rights to achieve his ends somehow impossible. It seems he plans to scale up the federal government to crack down on Muslims, immigrants, and bring back "law and order" (but we know exactly who he's talking about).

Do you believe that these two men will be able to turn the United States of America into a modern nazi Germany? That the USA is so weak that our government and our people would allow this? The overdramatic reaction to this Presidency is absolutely ridiculous.

Left unchecked, yes. Our saving grace is we hate when things are too easy: we self-destruct or self-correct.

I sincerely hope not and would like to believe that it's an overkill reaction however the Trump Hysteria that has overtaken half of this country is disturbing, frightening, and mind boggling considering that long before he ran for president most considered him a spoiled rotten smarmy megalomaniac that would get attention for being as such, an now he's our savior who rallied the masses with a message of hate and fear.

I didn't ever believe that he could be our president, so that's why it really worries me because though what I and many others fear sounds extreme, him winning the presidency already is.

We've already heard talk of a Muslim registry (justified by the Japanese internment during WWII), Trump has said he plans to deport somewhere between three and 11 million immigrants and might create a massive deportation force to do it (how this could be done in a way that wouldn't steamroll civil rights is better left to fantasy), he's proposed expanding the controversial NYC "stop and frisk" policy that was shut down in federal court for violating the civil rights of minorities to the entire nation, and the people he's appointed to his administration so far appear ready to get the ball rolling on a lot of these things, including Pence, who is known as one of the most ardent anti-LGBT politicians in the country.

So, I don't find fears over civil rights under Trump to be unfounded or his violating civil rights to achieve his ends somehow impossible. It seems he plans to scale up the federal government to crack down on Muslims, immigrants, and bring back "law and order" (but we know exactly who he's talking about).

The Trump Phenomenon is so confusing; it bumfuzzles me. He has said everything that would reflect the initiation of an oppressive, authoritarian govt, but people just discount it and try to scream down those who question the rhetoric from Trump.

He floated all of the ideas in @Habib 's post. Why shouldn't we believe he intends on doing them? Muslims, immigrants, minorities, and their friends and families all are afraid Trump may do what he said he would do.

If we can't believe he will do the things he promised, why did you people elect him?

Whoa! No one said Nazi Germany on here. I have concerns due to the past record of Sessions, Pence is a hypocrite to pay to his audience (he is probably still closeted), Trump I am not worried as much he is pretty socially moderate or has been in his past. I get people that supported Trump liking this, they should be happy.

Sessions is a bigoted racist, and there is a lot of history to back that up, not the person to heal a racial divide, Trump is pretty much handed him the keys to the car to drive his bigoted racist agenda, but those (probably a small percentage of his support) supporters of Trump with this mindset will feel protected to do as they wish is my belief, they helped get him elected. I guess Sessions is their bone. Shouldn't be the AG in my opinion. He's gonna be, so it goes, should be Trump's call even if I think he is getting this all wrong. I don't have to like it.

I truly hope disagreements can be handled civilly, I am not confident that will happen at all. You will not punish and suppress people out of their behaviors, won't happen. Wish it was that simple, it isn't.

The Trump Phenomenon is so confusing; it bumfuzzles me. He has said everything that would reflect the initiation of an oppressive, authoritarian govt, but people just discount it and try to scream down those who question the rhetoric from Trump.

He floated all of the ideas in @Habib 's post. Why shouldn't we believe he intends on doing them? Muslims, immigrants, minorities, and their friends and families all are afraid Trump may do what he said he would do.

If we can't believe he will do the things he promised, why did you people elect him?

I surely hope that people can hear what you are saying here and not just casually dismiss or ignore it.

All biases aside people...it's reality check time.