How Many NFL Players Will Take Knees During the Anthem This Week?

Science Friction

Just a side note - Georgetown College Men's Basketball has always (as long as I can remember) plays the anthem at the 8:30 mark during warm ups when teams both go to the locker room for final prep.

Edit - this is for regular season games only. I believe in the tournament they play the anthem with both teams on the floor just before tip off.

Boyle County high school does the same thing for football and basketball.

In fact I think most high school football and basketball teams are in the locker room during the anthem.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the crowd will boo during the anthem? And if enough teams will do this, I assume the teams will stop playing the anthem for the games. I would be ok with that also.

That brings up a good question....Why do sporting events feel the need to play the anthem beforehand all the time?

That brings up a good question....Why do sporting events feel the need to play the anthem beforehand all the time?

I would say to honor the men and women of this great country that have fought to give them the freedom to play the game!

I would say to honor the men and women of this great country that have fought to give them the freedom to play the game!

Does your work play the anthem each day to honor the men and women of this great country that have fought to give you the freedom to go to work and make a living?

Does your work play the anthem each day to honor the men and women of this great country that have fought to give you the freedom to go to work and make a living?

We do have a flag that flies, but since we are based out of California there is no true start time.

It's been addressed in one of the Kaepernick threads. It started with the MLB either in WWI or WW2, they received positive fan reaction and continued to this day. I think a large majority of fans enjoy it.

Couple of thoughts because I've been largely quiet on this issue on here:

1. I've never seen so many people in my life defend the 2nd Amendment in one thread then run and squash the 1st Amendment in another. It is literally an impressive amount of dexterity to pull that off.

2. While I don't agree with WHAT he is doing, the fact that he is doing it is about as American an act as you can find. As the (white) Editor of the LA Times wrote, paraphrasing, it is far more American for 99% of the population to honor our country and 1% to dissent, than for 100% to honor it as if we are a Communist country being told what to do.

3. He (Kaepernick) said initially he wanted to bring to light a racial injustice ("...blacks...being oppressed...") that he felt existed and wanted to stimulate conversation. Even the most critical of his protest and his stance would have to agree that this has accomplished that. Now, it may be conversation driving some folks further apart, but in general, it has caused everyone to engage in the conversation in one form or another.

4. The number of white soldiers and vets that I've seen stand up for what he is doing on Twitter and other forms of Social Media are what make me PROUD as heck to be an American. One said it best, again paraphrasing, when he said his right to protest and speak his mind is EXACTLY what I'm fighting for.

Why just sporting events then. Why not before concerts, movies, school, etc?

We used to hear the Pledge of Allegiance before school until a bunch of clowns made that go away. Maybe we should recognize our freedom a little more frequently.

It's nice I guess, but doesn't affect my game day experience at all. Wouldn't bother me a bit if they stopped doing it.

That's fine I've come to understand you don't hold this ritual in high regard. To each their own , I don't get it but we all have things we enjoy .

But I know with my group of 12 friends some who were ex military when we had season tickets to the Bengals stood and recited the anthem at every game.

I'm proud of my country and any opportunity or small gesture I can do to show it , I try to do it.