How Many NFL Players Will Take Knees During the Anthem This Week?

Science Friction

That has nothing to do with CK point. Are blacks being oppressed today?

I know it has nothing to do with CK's point. A lot of the hatred CK is receiving now is because he is disrespecting the flag/anthem. To many the flag/anthem represents America and the typical social media response is for all the protesting kneelers to "leave our country if they aren't happy here." "how dare you disrespect our flag" "who do you think gave you the right to make millions you big baby" and on and on and on. So while it may not have anything to do with CK's point in your opinion, it comes along with the discussion his actions have spawned.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it has nothing to do with CK's point. A lot of the hatred CK is receiving now is because he is disrespecting the flag/anthem. To many the flag/anthem represents America and the typical social media response is for all the protesting kneelers to "leave our country if they aren't happy here." "how dare you disrespect our flag" "who do you think gave you the right to make millions you big baby" and on and on and on. So while it may not have anything to do with CK's point in your opinion, it comes along with the discussion his actions have spawned.

That I agree with. To me it's just a lazy way of trying to diminish discussion. I don't get the whole leave my country crap. I always recognized it as people seeing a problem and wanting to better their country. Also, on the flip side. The goofballs that are saying we are suppressing CK's 1st amendment by not agreeing with him are just as mind boggling to me. Just people getting in the way of the issue.

How? I would like to try understand your perspective on these issues. What is something that you believe is oppressing black people in someways today?

The systemic and institutionalized imprisonment of black men. The inner cities were flooded with narcotics as the only means of survival for black men. The streets were flooded with narcotics and at the same time the War on Drugs was at its height. The government allowed Noriega and many others to flood America with their product and the only place to sell their products was in the inner cities. At the same time that these drugs were flooding the inner cities and destroying the fabric of the black family jail sentencing changed and many states adopted a Three Strikes You're Out for repeat offenders meaning if you are found guilty of a crime three times then you go to jail for life regardless of what the crime is. Many many many people are in jail for life because of the Three Strikes You're Out sentences.

Crack cocaine sentencing vs powder cocaine sentencing also helped put many people away and the disparity behind that is mind boggling when you look at how it works. Get caught with a couple of grams of powder for your first time and you get probation. Get caught with one crack rock your first time and you go to jail for a mandatory 3-5 years. A couple of grams of powder cocaine will make you a pretty good amount of crack rocks. You won't find powder cocaine in the inner cities the way you'll find crack rock in the inner cities.

Nobody black is bringing the narcotics into the inner cities. That's all foreign countries. Not enough has ever been done to stop the influx of narcotics into the inner city. Narcotics is the only business in inner cities. There's nothing else there. The school suck, the neighborhoods suck, the policemen work their tails off but continually get nowhere because they don't have enough help or resources to stop the influx of drugs into the inner cities. Drugs in the inner cities have become a big business. As have private prisons. You know there are more black men in prison than in college? Did you know more black men have spent time in jail than they have in a college classroom?

When discussing how the schools of the inner city need to be made a priority so a quality education can be received by everyone in the inner city someone said that we can't just throw money at everything. The only money being thrown at the inner cities is drug money and it has been that way since the 1980s.

To me, that's oppression.

The history of America is part of the flag/anthem isn't it? That's what gets people all up in their feelings about this whole protest. How it disrespects the flag and is unpatriotic. Isn't that one of the issues in Kap's protest and why people are so upset with how he chooses to protest?

For me, it's more that it's disrespect for those that fought and died for said flag.

The systemic and institutionalized imprisonment of black men. The inner cities were flooded with narcotics as the only means of survival for black men. The streets were flooded with narcotics and at the same time the War on Drugs was at its height. The government allowed Noriega and many others to flood America with their product and the only place to sell their products was in the inner cities. At the same time that these drugs were flooding the inner cities and destroying the fabric of the black family jail sentencing changed and many states adopted a Three Strikes You're Out for repeat offenders meaning if you are found guilty of a crime three times then you go to jail for life regardless of what the crime is. Many many many people are in jail for life because of the Three Strikes You're Out sentences.

Crack cocaine sentencing vs powder cocaine sentencing also helped put many people away and the disparity behind that is mind boggling when you look at how it works. Get caught with a couple of grams of powder for your first time and you get probation. Get caught with one crack rock your first time and you go to jail for a mandatory 3-5 years. A couple of grams of powder cocaine will make you a pretty good amount of crack rocks. You won't find powder cocaine in the inner cities the way you'll find crack rock in the inner cities.

Nobody black is bringing the narcotics into the inner cities. That's all foreign countries. Not enough has ever been done to stop the influx of narcotics into the inner city. Narcotics is the only business in inner cities. There's nothing else there. The school suck, the neighborhoods suck, the policemen work their tails off but continually get nowhere because they don't have enough help or resources to stop the influx of drugs into the inner cities. Drugs in the inner cities have become a big business. As have private prisons. You know there are more black men in prison than in college? Did you know more black men have spent time in jail than they have in a college classroom?

When discussing how the schools of the inner city need to be made a priority so a quality education can be received by everyone in the inner city someone said that we can't just throw money at everything. The only money being thrown at the inner cities is drug money and it has been that way since the 1980s.

To me, that's oppression.

That's if you buy into your conspiracy theory.

My main point on this is I hate when people use 300 years when America as a country had Slavery for well below 100 years. Even 1 year is unacceptable. But I like to be honest and I don't blame you I get the sentiment of the statement.

I think there were slaves in the colonies by 1716. It wasn't the US but it was the culture.

For once I actually agreed with something that Greeny on Mike & Mike said this morning.

They were talking about this whole situation and he said he hears a lot of people saying, "It's his right to do it, I just wish he would've done it a different way", and what he thinks they're really saying is "I really wish he would've picked a different way to go about this, because it would've been easier to ignore what he's saying" because the method CK chose has made it very hard for the people who aren't interested in the conversation to ignore it.

For once I actually agreed with something that Greeny on Mike & Mike said this morning.

They were talking about this whole situation and he said he hears a lot of people saying, "It's his right to do it, I just wish he would've done it a different way", and what he thinks they're really saying is "I really wish he would've picked a different way to go about this, because it would've been easier to ignore what he's saying" because the method CK chose has made it very hard for the people who aren't interested in the conversation to ignore it.

That makes a lot of sense.

Yep.