How Many NFL Players Will Take Knees During the Anthem This Week?

Science Friction

It's nice I guess, but doesn't affect my game day experience at all. Wouldn't bother me a bit if they stopped doing it.

Nothing sends chills thru my spine more than listening to and singing the National Anthem especially when there is a fly by.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of thoughts because I've been largely quiet on this issue on here:

1. I've never seen so many people in my life defend the 2nd Amendment in one thread then run and squash the 1st Amendment in another. It is literally an impressive amount of dexterity to pull that off.

2. While I don't agree with WHAT he is doing, the fact that he is doing it is about as American an act as you can find. As the (white) Editor of the LA Times wrote, paraphrasing, it is far more American for 99% of the population to honor our country and 1% to dissent, than for 100% to honor it as if we are a Communist country being told what to do.

3. He (Kaepernick) said initially he wanted to bring to light a racial injustice ("...blacks...being oppressed...") that he felt existed and wanted to stimulate conversation. Even the most critical of his protest and his stance would have to agree that this has accomplished that. Now, it may be conversation driving some folks further apart, but in general, it has caused everyone to engage in the conversation in one form or another.

4. The number of white soldiers and vets that I've seen stand up for what he is doing on Twitter and other forms of Social Media are what make me PROUD as heck to be an American. One said it best, again paraphrasing, when he said his right to protest and speak his mind is EXACTLY what I'm fighting for.

I'd love for you to find a quote of one person who went against the 1st ammendment. Just one.

Everyone agrees he has the right to do it. No one is asking for him to get arrested. Just because you have a right to say something doesn't make you free from criticism.

Might want to brush up on the 1st ammendment if you think differently.

Yeah that narrative that he doesnt have the right to speak out is whipped up out of thin air by the CK supporters . It hurts the argument IMO.

Again he seems to me to be throwing the whole country under the bus for the actions of a few . And those few do cause a terrible stink , and should be dealt with appropriately .

I'd love for you to find a quote of one person who went against the 1st ammendment. Just one.

Everyone agrees he has the right to do it. No one is asking for him to get arrested. Just because you have a right to say something doesn't make you free from criticism.

Might want to brush up on the 1st ammendment if you think differently.

So no one on BGP, or elsewhere, has had an issue with how he has chosen to "...express, promote, pursue, and defend their ideas..."

Thanks for your post, it was a great reminder at why this type of topic isn't worth trying to discuss rationally. Your immediate knee-jerk to an attack (might want to brush up on the 1st Amendment) is funny. Nearly EVERYONE has had an issue with how he has chosen to protest, all of which is being critical of how he chooses to express and promote his ideas, but of course you would choose not to notice that.

I don't have to agree with his method to support his right to do so. I haven't seen a whole lot of support in these 1,389,387 threads on the topic, but of course maybe I just missed those.

Yeah that narrative that he doesnt have the right to speak out is whipped up out of thin air by the CK supporters . It hurts the argument IMO.

Again he seems to me to be throwing the whole country under the bus for the actions of a few . And those few do cause a terrible stink , and should be dealt with appropriately .

You're being general so I don't know whom you're talking about, but in terms of a general response, you don't have to support him, NOR agree with him, to recognize what he is choosing to do is well within his rights. Nowhere have I said I agree with him, nor agree with what he is accusing (he, like many of his critics, are painting with too broad a brush), but I do think it is both his right to do so, as well as it is succeeding in stimulating some positive conversations. No more and no less.

That's fine I've come to understand you don't hold this ritual in high regard. To each their own , I don't get it but we all have things we enjoy .

But I know with my group of 12 friends some who were ex military when we had season tickets to the Bengals stood and recited the anthem at every game.

I'm proud of my country and any opportunity or small gesture I can do to show it , I try to do it.

I've stood and sang the national anthem at every sporting event I've ever played in or attended in my life.

Don't try to talk down to me because I don't get all bent out of shape like you do because someone is exercising a right.

You're no more American or no more proud than I am. Get off your high horse.

I've stood and sang the national anthem at every sporting event I've ever played in or attended in my life.

Don't try to talk down to me because I don't get all bent out of shape like you do because someone is exercising a right.

To add:

I don't agree with CK's choice to protest during the National Anthem (also said this multiple times).

I don't agree with the stupid socks he wore.

Me saying I wouldn't mind if the Anthem wasn't played before sporting events doesn't mean I'm not proud of my country or I'm disrespecting the men and women of the military. That is a lazy and ignorant narrative. There are many things we all do on a daily basis that we are able to do because of those people. We don't play the Anthem 475 times a day.

So no one on BGP, or elsewhere, has had an issue with how he has chosen to "...express, promote, pursue, and defend their ideas..."

Thanks for your post, it was a great reminder at why this type of topic isn't worth trying to discuss rationally. Your immediate knee-jerk to an attack (might want to brush up on the 1st Amendment) is funny. Nearly EVERYONE has had an issue with how he has chosen to protest, all of which is being critical of how he chooses to express and promote his ideas, but of course you would choose not to notice that.

I don't have to agree with his method to support his right to do so. I haven't seen a whole lot of support in these 1,389,387 threads on the topic, but of course maybe I just missed those.

Literally almost every poster on these topics including myself has said they support his right to do it. We just don't agree with it protesting the flag and anthem.

Just like I support everyojes right to say or protest. Just because you have a right to do something doesn't mean I have to agree with the method.

I also support the right of PETA to protest and say weird things. It does not mean I agree with what they do.

Where I'm confused with posters such as yourself and others keep coming back to is some how the 1st ammendment shields you from criticism. The 1st ammendment that gives him the right to protest gives me the right to criticize said protest.

Being hypocritical on the first ammendment would be asking the government to punish KAP for his actions. That is what the 1st ammendment protects us from.

Just like if you or I say something that may anger people I have the right to say it , and the government can't touch me . It doesn't mean my employer can't fire me or people won't criticize me who disagree.

Just like when PP92 says kobe is good when it's clear #kobesux , he has a right to say it but I will criticize him.

You can't be offended by me calling you out for your interpretation of the 1st ammendment when you clearly threw shade at a lot of posters based on your incorrect understanding of the ammendment.

I wasn't talking down to you it's clear we hold this ritual differently because I would miss it.

Same. It wouldn't bother me at all if they stopped doing it.

Dang . Really ? Or you just cruisin' for a argument ? I love the tradition and support of our country and military by honoring those who served and our country in general . What a great way of being patriotic , by proudly singing our song , all together .

Dang . Really ? Or you just cruisin' for a argument ? I love the tradition and support of our country and military by honoring those who served and our country in general . What a great way of being patriotic , by proudly singing our song , all together .

Just being honest. I'd rather say the Pledge of Allegiance before work everyday than listen to the anthem before sporting events.

I hold the assertion that as a society, we are so far removed from understanding how great of nation we reside in, imperfect as it may be. The apathy that sets in, does nothing but harm this country, very incrementally.