Head Coach Openings

Does somebody have to be a teacher to coach basketball? Is it a state of district rule?

Depends on the school and the district, but there's no rule saying you have to be a teacher. State says at the very minimum you have to be 21 and have a high school diploma.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the school and the district, but there's no rule saying you have to be a teacher. State says at the very minimum you have to be 21 and have a high school diploma.

I have heard this thrown around that you have to have a teaching degree. So you are saying that the state doesn't care but the school Can say you have too?

I have heard this thrown around that you have to have a teaching degree. So you are saying that the state doesn't care but the school Can say you have too?

State sets the minimum. Schools make it higher than that.

No different than academic requirements. State sets minimum schools can raise the expectations.

I agree with much said here, but I don't agree with the "must be connected to an AAU organization or you are not getting talent" assertion. For some it may be the only way out from the bottom as an escape or disruption of the balance of power. Necessity is the mother of innovation. There are ample other ways schools for years have continued to replenish their talent in Jefferson County. I agree with your mention of transfers and JCPS, it is rampant. Some schools excel at benefiting from transfers and it is not just by coincidence that happens. I would suggest being connected to AAU programs and chasing around 5th-8th grade kids on weekends is a better way than having school boosters hand out "reside addresses" like they are candy or Head Coaches calling parents of players while they are playing for another team in mid-season upon hearing rumors a kid may be disgruntled. Coaching in 6th & 7th is also tough because there are not any rules that go unbroken and parents who expect to be courted like a college recruiting process. It is amazing some of the stuff which happens, so my opinion is that the AAU gets a bad rap because it is the newer way of attracting talent, but things have been going on for years that is equally as responsible for the grab of talent being a mess in the 6th & 7th.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. AAU is the new problem. Fern Creek and Waggener have had some recent success but to my knowledge they don't have any history of winning regional titles in basketball. The Legends and their coach show up at Waggener and The Spiece Gators show up at Fern Creek and they start having success. I believe Doss has an assistant that coaches in aau. Problem is when things don't go the kids way they transfer just like in aau. Is it worth the success dealing with the head aches that it brings? Legends aau coach sits behind Waggener's bench. Sometimes its hard to tell who's coaching. Im not criticizing the coach for it, but you better be able to deal with the problems. I just think its easy for coaches in Louisville to get frustrated and say its not worth it and get out. Just when you think you are ready to challenge the powers your kids transfer and JCPS rubber stamps it. The state tournament is when you find out more about who's in and out. Looking forward to some great games this week

Yes Dawgs83 correct! Waggener and Fern Creek have nothing to show for it as well, just sad all the way around. Actually had a parent off one of those teams tell me they sent their kid to a particular school to be a doctor, when it was strictly AAU ties. Talent and cheerleading only takes you so far, when regional tournaments start you better know how to coach em up