Coach Petrino at U of L for next 10 Years, 25.5 Million Dollars

02Ram54

You completley missed my point!
You missed mine!

I was never evaluating what he did with Cantwell and Smith/Stripling on an absolute basis. Considering the circumstances, that was a pretty good showing.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed mine!

I was never evaluating what he did with Cantwell and Smith/Stripling on an absolute basis. Considering the circumstances, that was a pretty good showing.

Ok, this is what I am trying to say; If your boss gives you a huge raise doesn't he expect something huge back in return. UL is a top 17-15 program with B & B. Will Petrino be able to take UL to a top 5 program (which is what he being paid for) without them? Without 80-100,000 seat stadium,without a ton of in-state D-1 prospects? He has done great to get the program where it is. Can he take it to another level or 2 which is expected. I think it will be very difficult and if the program does not move up is he then overpaid? I am saying the heat is on!

Let's use xtiger69's logic

St. X was 0-1 in state championship games last year therefore they (or their coach) deserve no credit for what they did during that season nor in any season before that.

I suppose some people hve just gotten so used to questioning what a coach can do After Brohm that they just keep using it.

Ok, this is what I am trying to say; If your boss gives you a huge raise doesn't he expect something huge back in return. UL is a top 17-15 program with B & B. Will Petrino be able to take UL to a top 5 program (which is what he being paid for) without them? Without 80-100,000 seat stadium,without a ton of in-state D-1 prospects? He has done great to get the program where it is. Can he take it to another level or 2 which is expected. I think it will be very difficult and if the program does not move up is he then overpaid? I am saying the heat is on!
And I am saying that Louisville is right where we expect to be- conference title contender in a BCS conference. The stadium is expanding, we're sinking our recruiting roots deeper in the south and north east and getting better in Florida (which is our real recruiting area, NOT Kentucky) our talent is deeper on offense than most people realize, and our defense is upgrading.

Everything looks like it's right on schedule to me. And having seen Nick Petrino in action, I have no trouble believing his father knows a thing or two about performance under pressure. Even when you have doubters.

On the otherhand, with the exception of maybe one or 2 years, out of the last 20, UL has done progressively better each year. I see no reason to think that Petrino can't live up to expectations. Recruiting has gotten better and better, but we've become better even without the large capacity stadium and plethora of D-1 prospects. Louisville, under Petrino, plays exciting football. They're on TV a lot. The school is located within a fairly easy travel distance of over half the country. The reasons recruits, even top recruits, would choose UL are similar to the reasons convention planners choose Louisville....there is a lot to do here, the quality of life is great...add in that their families could realistically see them play either on TV or in person in most of their games....The academics may not be Duke level....yet. But, did you see the article the other day about UL no longer a commuter school? The Speed Science School is quite simply one of, if not, the best in this region. The Medical School, and the related medical research facilities and teaching hospital are nationally recognized. The School of Education is gaining recognition of it's own.

There are tons of reasons Petrino can tell his recruits that Louisville is the best place to pursue their college careers. He's not an island in this.

Can make 25.5 million I hear Ole Grandpa Brooks is calling for some incentives in his contract so uk is giving him free coffee at Dairy Queen after each win this season. Just kidding this really means UL really is serious about keeping Bobby, hope they can.

I Like where the blue train is heading. :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

The more I look at this deal the more I think it is absolutly genious by Jurich. Lets exclude Petrino from the situation all together. This deal says that Louisville is VERY serious about college football. Even if Petrino should bust and we have to buy him out (which won't happen), UofL is now at a level that all coaches will listen to offers. It is highly unlikely that we will go from 2.5 mill a year to another 500,000 a year coach. Paying out that kind of money puts us in the search for the very best.

I'm certain that comments from the entire UK corps will be forthcoming. Right now, they're trying to compose themselves. :D

That's right, we are all the same. :lol:

Congrats to UL and Petrino. Personally, I don't like Petrino, but the man wins and has taken UL to the next level and he deserves this. UL doesn't want him to get away, and this ought to lock him down for a few years and shows just how firm the committment is to football at UL.

This is a great deal for the school, the program, the players and the coach. Anytime you can establish long term possibilities, it does nothing but good things for the program. This UK fan thinks this is a good thing for the Cardinals.

The more I look at this deal the more I think it is absolutly genious by Jurich. Lets exclude Petrino from the situation all together. This deal says that Louisville is VERY serious about college football. Even if Petrino should bust and we have to buy him out (which won't happen), UofL is now at a level that all coaches will listen to offers. It is highly unlikely that we will go from 2.5 mill a year to another 500,000 a year coach. Paying out that kind of money puts us in the search for the very best.

:thumb: No more Coopers ....:dancingpa

This is a lot of loot for a coach who has a losing record versus teams that completed the entire season, finishing above .500.

Since he's been here, the football program has improved significantly and is know known on a national level...Many will say it's too much money, others like myself will say it's a very positive thing, in that this ensures him being around for several more years...I have been very satisfied with Petrino...You can find as many nit-picky things that he has (or hasn't) done, but obviously someone thinks he is worth the money...Just my two cents.