Coach Petrino at U of L for next 10 Years, 25.5 Million Dollars

02Ram54

Who knows, and would we want them?

Let me ask you this...if we have won 2 championships (no don't overstep), let's say one championship, and a couple of BCS bowls.....wouldn't you and I as fans want to keep this baby rolling with someone that served right under the captain for 14 years? I would....

Parcells

Belichek

Weis

:thumb:

Good point....I agree....winning breeds winning

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you are composed. :lol:

Why wouldn't we want Petrino long term?

I, for one, think it would be great to have the longevity in a football coach, that we've enjoyed in basketball. And, you can say what you want about Petrino. So far, I haven't been proven wrong about him wanting to stay in Louisville, at the University of Louisville....And I've been fending of those "he's gone" comments for several years now. ;)

That is what I was saying the you obviously want him for long term and yes, it frankly suprised me that he signed for such a long term contract but that is imo is no promise that he will honor it for the full tenure. Again, congrats to you and U.L.. One red flag for me would be him issuing that "confidence" statement that he was there for the long term, I have heard a lot of coaches say that and theh be gone within a few years. Don't get me wrong, I hope that he stays if that is what U.L. and Petrino wants. I also know and aknowledge that you have been saying that he was not going to "fly" all along. Congrats to you....:thumb: :lol:

I hear Ole Grandpa Brooks is calling for some incentives in his contract so uk is giving him free coffee at Dairy Queen after each win this season.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I hope that he is not addicted to coffee, he will be going through withdrawls.

Knowing him though he will stay for 3 of the 10 and move on to a more elite university. This is a way of saying we got a man for at least 2 years. I mean really do these contracts mean anything. You see time after time coaches voiding there contract and going to a better school.

I think that Petrino truly intends to stick around for awhile, I really take him at his word on that today after turning down the Raiders job, the addition of the buy-out that Jurich is known for not having in contracts, I really do think he plans on staying. But that is not to say that if a situation in the NFL opened up somewhere that he thought was a good situation that may not lure him away early. The NFL can pay the buy out no problem. But I do really think that this shores up many of the recruiting problems that may have faced BP in the future without this contract, and that Louisville is safe from other universities a few years. The main thing is that this shows that Louisville is committed to 1)Expanding the Stadium, (because it will be alot easier to raise that kind of money with this contract in place) and 2) That Louisville is committed to becoming a football powerhouse. After this Louisville is not a stepping stone as far as pay is concerned, or facilities or committment. Louisville is now looking more and more like a destination with good pay, good recruiting area, good facilities, and a nice stadium.

I think this puts him clearly in the middle of a pressure cooker. With big $ comes big expectations. If the program slips after the Bush/Brohm era then the heat is on! He is good, but is he that good? 2 or 3 years from now we will know the answer.

I think this puts him clearly in the middle of a pressure cooker. With big $ comes big expectations. If the program slips after the Bush/Brohm era then the heat is on! He is good, but is he that good? 2 or 3 years from now we will know the answer.
He was doing pretty good with Stefan Lefors and Eric Shelton/Lionel Gates. He also does pretty good when it's Hunter Cantwell and Kolby Smith/George Stripling.

He was doing pretty good with Stefan Lefors and Eric Shelton/Lionel Gates. He also does pretty good when it's Hunter Cantwell and Kolby Smith/George Stripling.

He is 0-1 in bowl games with Cantwell,Smith,Stripling so I think its wise so say the jury is still out. He is now in a position where he can never have an off season with that salary. Let's see what he does when his windfall of local talent has departed and he is measured against the top 4 programs in the nation as he should be due to the compensation package. Will he put UL in the top 5 every year, will he bring in top 5 classes, will they be in a BCS bowl every year? We will see, but the pressure an expectations have just gone way way up.

He is 0-1 in bowl games with Cantwell,Smith,Stripling so I think its wise so say the jury is still out. He is now in a position where he can never have an off season with that salary. Let's see what he does when his windfall of local talent has departed and he is measured against the top 4 programs in the nation as he should be due to the compensation package. Will he put UL in the top 5 every year, will he bring in top 5 classes, will they be in a BCS bowl every year? We will see, but the pressure an expectations have just gone way way up.
:laugh:

Cantwell was playing as a REDSHIRT FRESHMAN BACK UP starting his SECOND GAME. And playing with a broken nose. And went into the 4th quarter leading.

But, hey, whatever tint of glasses works for you.

I think the contract really helps with recruiting.

The money in the contract is heavily weighted at the end of the deal.

I think this is the biggest issue, the recruiting should be a lot easier without hving to deal with all the speculation.

This is a great move by UofL, and I'm happy.:ylsuper:

:laugh:

Cantwell was playing as a REDSHIRT FRESHMAN BACK UP starting his SECOND GAME. And playing with a broken nose. And went into the 4th quarter leading.

But, hey, whatever tint of glasses works for you.

Close but no cigar.0-1 anyway you look at it. Is that the way its going to be without the Derby City duo? That's my point.He has to step up and recruit with the big boys now because that is what he is being paid to do. Can he bring in top 10 classes every year like his peers?We will see. I am a longtime UL season ticket holder and I have my doubts UL can take a step or 2 up from the current level.

Close but no cigar.0-1 anyway you look at it. Is that the way its going to be without the Derby City duo? That's my point.He has to step up and recruit with the big boys now because that is what he is being paid to do. Can he bring in top 10 classes every year like his peers?We will see. I am a longtime UL season ticket holder and I have my doubts UL can take a step or 2 up from the current level.
I think it was right on the nose.

It's pretty telling that you chose to ONLY look at what Petrino did in a single game with a backup redshirt freshman, as opposed to what he did over the course of two seasons (one of which included a Top 10 finish with Brohm the backup freshman and Bush the third man on the depth chart.) So I don't see it as 0-1, since the 20-4 record in his first two years matters just as much (if not more.)

Better luck next time, but I'm not buying it.

I think it was right on the nose.

It's pretty telling that you chose to ONLY look at what Petrino did in a single game with a backup redshirt freshman, as opposed to what he did over the course of two seasons (one of which included a Top 10 finish with Brohm the backup freshman and Bush the third man on the depth chart.) So I don't see it as 0-1, since the 20-4 record in his first two years matters just as much (if not more.)

Better luck next time, but I'm not buying it.

You completley missed my point!