2015/16 NKY Boys BBall 6th, 7th, & 8th

TNT-MB1

What is the basis your referring to that is "wrong with middle school sports" I am not sure what you mean by that.

I cannot speak for Clyde, but I would dare to say it goes to the over exuberance of coaching and parents and to the final outcome, rather than the enjoyment of the sport and its participants.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the basis your referring to that is "wrong with middle school sports" I am not sure what you mean by that.

Total picture. Loss of perspective. Loss of common sense on how to act.

We (hand raised) sometimes get too caught up and forget they're 13 year old kids. They're going to do stupid things. It's their nature. We, though, as adults should not be showing them the way to do that by our words and actions.

Interesting that you should ask that. A certain coach was not happy w/ Huddleston's style to the tune of stiffing him at the hand shake line....twice. Salter got the brunt of the Mayer assignment and both fouled out in OT.

No excuse for any coach at this level, to ignore the handshake of a 14yr old kid on the opposition team after a hard fought game. If the coach has an issue with a player on the opposition, he should express that with the other team's coach. He should not ignore the handshake of the player, and definitely not address the offending player in a negative way. (not sure if that happened or not).

If this really happened (as its being portrayed), it is extremely disappointing for any coach to act this way, but especially disappointing coming from this particular coach.

Total picture. Loss of perspective. Loss of common sense on how to act.

We (hand raised) sometimes get too caught up and forget they're 13 year old kids. They're going to do stupid things. It's their nature. We, though, as adults should not be showing them the way to do that by our words and actions.

Thanks for explaining Clyde. I saw the game and thought it should have been cleaned up. Thought the Mayer kid was taking some extracurricular jabs if you will. As a coach, just shake hands with a solid hand shake or fist and be done with it. As a player, don't ever approach the other coach as a wise guy. Maybe the HHS and CCH battle was on these boys minds Ha.

Thanks for explaining Clyde. I saw the game and thought it should have been cleaned up. Thought the Mayer kid was taking some extracurricular jabs if you will. As a coach, just shake hands with a solid hand shake or fist and be done with it. As a player, don't ever approach the other coach as a wise guy. Maybe the HHS and CCH battle was on these boys minds Ha.

Let me be clear on what I was told.

The issues were shared amongst all sides of the floor and the stands - not just one end.

Any other results from this week? Beechwood play? How is that working this year, is Beechwood playing a small school schedule, even though they clearly have the talent to match up with the big schools?

On the issue of St. Pius - Highlands, I hope the conflict is some temporary over-sensitivity because both Huddleston and Mayer are exceptional players and competitors and it would be a shame to muddy the next four or five years with chippy stuff.

Any other results from this week? Beechwood play? How is that working this year, is Beechwood playing a small school schedule, even though they clearly have the talent to match up with the big schools?

On the issue of St. Pius - Highlands, I hope the conflict is some temporary over-sensitivity because both Huddleston and Mayer are exceptional players and competitors and it would be a shame to muddy the next four or five years with chippy stuff.

Beechwood is still playing in the small school division officially and for end of year tournament but the coaches have been working on scheduling additional games with large school teams.

At Campbell Co tournament they already beat Campbell Co, Woodland, Gray and Summit View.

I have heard they are playing in the Dayton Christmas tournament too.

No excuse for any coach at this level' date=' to ignore the handshake of a 14yr old kid on the opposition team after a hard fought game. If the coach has an issue with a player on the opposition, he should express that with the other team's coach. He should not ignore the handshake of the player, and definitely not address the offending player in a negative way. (not sure if that happened or not). If this really happened (as its being portrayed), it is extremely disappointing for any coach to act this way, but especially disappointing coming from this particular coach.[/quote']

Coaches that avoid players and opposing coaches have no business in this game. I had a coach walk around me (end of game hand shake line) this past AAU season and I made it a point to seek him out. Look him in the eye and shake his hand. I've also seen coaches do the opposite to players. I've seen them literally stalk players and harass them or go out of their way to kiss up to them. Either way these are insecure people that don't understand the spirit of sports and competition. Many involved take this game too serious. Parents, coaches and players alike have a hard time turning the game off after the horn blows.

This past AAU season we played a team called Louisville Rising Stars at KBA. It was a hard fought game that we won by 7. After the game and hand shakes my team was greeted by 4 parents from their team. They were so friendly and impressed with how good and clean we played them. We all talked for 15 minutes afterward. We faced them the following week in the last event of the season. This time they won but after the game was the exact same. Everyone shook hands and enjoyed some laughs.

This is the way it should be.

Interesting that this incident took place between these two schools.

I remember my 7th or 8th grade year, our team had gotten beat by Highlands by 30+ at Highlands. A few weeks later, we played Highlands at home and somehow pulled off an upset. Their coach was ejected for complaining to officials, and one player didn't shake hands with any of us and instead cursed us out.

I think like Clyde said, let's remember that they are competitive and enthusiastic 13 year olds. They will learn from incidents like this.

To answer your question about Beechwood, we are in the SMALL school division. Specific to the 8th grade team, we have played 7 of the BIG schools, and are looking to schedule any of them, with the understanding that we need to schedule for all 3 grade levels. We are happy to play on the road.

Results against the schools in the BIG school division:

Beat Summit View 34 - 29

Beat Conner 38 - 30

Beat IHM 42 - 30

Beat Ockerman 39 - 28

Beat CampCo 44 - 33

Beat Gray 65 - 28

Beat Woodland 45 - 26

Beat Summit View 43 - 36

To answer your question about Beechwood, we are in the SMALL school division. Specific to the 8th grade team, we have played 7 of the BIG schools, and are looking to schedule any of them, with the understanding that we need to schedule for all 3 grade levels. We are happy to play on the road.

Results against the schools in the BIG school division:

Beat Summit View 34 - 29

Beat Conner 38 - 30

Beat IHM 42 - 30

Beat Ockerman 39 - 28

Beat CampCo 44 - 33

Beat Gray 65 - 28

Beat Woodland 45 - 26

Beat Summit View 43 - 36

This is why I think the top two seeds after the Small tourney should get bids in the Big tourney. I think it would be possible

Pius and Summit View Academy will square off tomorrow night in Independence. The 8th grade game will be a rematch of last years 7th Grade league championship, which the boys at Summit View won a closely contested game. These two teams really seem to go at it when they play, so it should be another battle.