2015/16 NKY Boys BBall 6th, 7th, & 8th

TNT-MB1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree about Jay. Plays hard and carries himself well. Along with Redford are there any other recommendations for shooting coaches in the NKY/Cincinnati area?

Paul Cluxton is very good if he's training. But he hasn't done any training in the last year.

It really depends on what your expectations and goals are and what the players needs are. Many people are capable in coaching how to shoot. The challenge is where the player is going to take the reps that are required to significantly improve. Will he/she put the work in. It's very similar to a hitting coach in golf. He will give the instructions but he will then send you on your own to the driving range.

It gets extremely expensive to pay for private lessons in shooting. The cost of the instructor, the gym time, balls etc. A player needs daily reps. Upwards of 300-500 shots per day. This is why the drive of the player is critical. To improve at a rate faster than the average player the kids need to put in the work in on their own.

When players come to me asking for help, I always tell them. It comes down to how much work they are willing to do when "nobody" is watching or coaching. This is where kids like Jay and Kevin Centers separate. They never stop working on this stuff.

The other element is teaching/coaching technique. I learned how to shoot from Dick Baumgartner in the 80's. These techniques are no longer coached. The new generation is learning a different foot work. More of "throwing darts" alignment. Is it a boy or girl? Girls are tearing ACL's at at astonishing rate because of the way they plant prior to shooting.

But it all comes down to drive. They need to learn the proper techniques. But, the drive to practice at game speed for many hours when nobody is watching is the #1 key.

Send me a private message with your players details and I'll see if I can help you out.

Watched part of the first quarter of 7th grade boys Highlands vs IHM. IHM was up by about 6 when I left. Who won?

Very impressed with Wyatt Vieth. Really nice ball handling skills for a a tall kid.

Anyone know if Highlands 7th came back and won? This is the team that went undefeated all last year, correct?

Highlands 7th grade won that IHM game at IHM in double OT! Yeah, it was a very exciting game to say the least. Two of Highlands best athletes were in foul trouble most game and both fouled out in 1st OT - and some super subs for Highlands came in and made some critical plays in double OT to their credit. The IHM boy is a stud and that small court really benefited IHM. I think Highlands missed all their 3's for game - so poor shooting night on that small court and yes, Vieth is a great young player. Plays as true big man w/ball skills - but mostly in scoring position with his back to basket and can drop step either direction and bull his way to rim with beautiful 3-5 foot jumper as well. IHM really deserved to win that game - but Birds athletes made steals/plays down stretch in regulation and in both OT's and they buried all their free throws. Unfortunately at end of double OT - IHM coach called one too many timeouts and refs penalized him with 2 T ft's for Highlands - with about 20 seconds left - but birds were up 2 with 2 free throws...so not sure it impacted outcome but horrible way to end the night for both those great teams. I suspect these teams will meet in tourney at season's end.

Highlands 7th grade won that IHM game at IHM in double OT! Yeah, it was a very exciting game to say the least. Two of Highlands best athletes were in foul trouble most game and both fouled out in 1st OT - and some super subs for Highlands came in and made some critical plays in double OT to their credit. The IHM boy is a stud and that small court really benefited IHM. I think Highlands missed all their 3's for game - so poor shooting night on that small court and yes, Vieth is a great young player. Plays as true big man w/ball skills - but mostly in scoring position with his back to basket and can drop step either direction and bull his way to rim with beautiful 3-5 foot jumper as well. IHM really deserved to win that game - but Birds athletes made steals/plays down stretch in regulation and in both OT's and they buried all their free throws. Unfortunately at end of double OT - IHM coach called one too many timeouts and refs penalized him with 2 T ft's for Highlands - with about 20 seconds left - but birds were up 2 with 2 free throws...so not sure it impacted outcome but horrible way to end the night for both those great teams. I suspect these teams will meet in tourney at season's end.

Thanks for the update. Exciting game! Congrats to the Bluebirds on the win. IHM was missing their biggest guy, Jude Bessler, who was sick yesterday.

Conner 6th gets blown out by Ockerman 6th, so the 7th grade Colts returned the favor and blew out the 7th grade Hawks...41 to 14. Not sure what happened in 8th grade but did receive an update the other day that the 8th grade team was undefeated for the Colts heading into the game with Ockerman.

Beechwood took home the 3peat at RA tonight. 6th,7th,8th

8th final was 53-24

Very good team very well coached. I'm surprised they didn't ask to play up in the big league this year. Favorite for Small league for sure but definitely at a different level then the small league teams competitively

We did ask to play up and were denied. We have played several of the big schools already (Summit View - twice, Gray, BSS, Ockerman, Campbell County "A", IHM, Conner and Woodland) either in tournaments or because they were nice enough to schedule us and we will hopefully play a few more as we are in several different tournaments over the holiday and we are in the process of scheduling a few others.

What's the Tuesday schedule look like?

TUESDAY 12/1/15

Grant County at Highlands

Twenhofel at Gray

Woodland at Saint Pius

Summit View at Ockerman

Camp Ernst at Campbell County

Holmes at IHM

TUESDAY 12/1/15

Grant County at Highlands

Twenhofel at Gray

Woodland at Saint Pius

Summit View at Ockerman

Camp Ernst at Campbell County

Holmes at IHM

Beechwood took home the 3peat at RA tonight. 6th,7th,8th

8th final was 53-24

Very good team very well coached. I'm surprised they didn't ask to play up in the big league this year. Favorite for Small league for sure but definitely at a different level then the small league teams competitively

Beechwood 7th won 59-29.