Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The N-Word And Its Multiple Meanings

Featured Replies

In my last post it was supposed to be "phrasing", not "phasing"... oooppps.

  • Replies 74
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a black guy that works for me. My only part time employee. Part time because that's all I need. Me and him. He one day was telling me how Eddie Murphy is the funniest N word ever. He kept saying it and it actually made me uncomfortable. He had no problem with it. Laughing the whole time. Then he also tells me about a story where another white guy he used to work for picked him up for work one day at the park, and the white guy said to him, "man there are enough N words down here to have a basketball team". He got mad at him for saying that. Now, his old boss was old school so I guess that had something to do with it. Thinking it was alright. He didn't mean anything by it other than the fact that they were all black. Because that was the same context imo. I don't get it. And I sometimes wonder why we all can't get along.

[video=youtube;UVgbFttx-6I]

 

I've got to watch that again soon, but only the uncut version.

I wouldn't be offended once I met you. PP92 can call me that or what ever he prefers, having hung out with him briefly, I'd be cool with it.

 

My question for a lot on here would be, if there's a black guy and a white guy that are good friends, is it acceptable for the white guy to call him the N word with an "a" on the end? I ask because I know of a few that have that type of friendship, and the black guys aren't offended, they laugh and joke back.

 

To the first part, we aren't talking about friends. I'm talking about random strangers.

 

And to the second point, that all depends on the black guy. Like I said earlier, some will allow it and some won't.

I've typed out a few responses and erased them all. This is all I got for now:

 

 

I have used the n word since I was in my preteens. I'm 40 years old now and I will never stop. I use it around black people and some white people who can handle it. I know when I can say it and who I can say it around and I do so at those times. I am a very very very foul-mouthed individual but I'm not stupid either. There is definitely a double standard with one of the most polarizing words in the English language. Just the way it is. #sorrynotsorry

The only thing I can say about what happened after UK's game is that Harrison's comments showed how classless an individual he is, and frankly I think it is a shame that Calipari and/or the UK Athletics program have not addressed his behavior in a public manner (and perhaps they have, and I just didn't see it). I am a UK alumnus and his behavior embarrassed me.

 

I don't particularly care whether what he said was intended as a racial slur... he certainly meant it as a derogatory comment directed toward an opposing player.

To the first part, we aren't talking about friends. I'm talking about random strangers.

 

And to the second point, that all depends on the black guy. Like I said earlier, some will allow it and some won't.

But wouldn't that be true of anything that could be taken as a negative?
  • Author
The only thing I can say about what happened after UK's game is that Harrison's comments showed how classless an individual he is, and frankly I think it is a shame that Calipari and/or the UK Athletics program have not addressed his behavior in a public manner (and perhaps they have, and I just didn't see it). I am a UK alumnus and his behavior embarrassed me.

 

I don't particularly care whether what he said was intended as a racial slur... he certainly meant it as a derogatory comment directed toward an opposing player.

 

Cal says he never publicly states anything about punishment. Said it was a good kid doing something stupid.

I have a black guy that works for me. My only part time employee. Part time because that's all I need. Me and him. He one day was telling me how Eddie Murphy is the funniest N word ever. He kept saying it and it actually made me uncomfortable. He had no problem with it. Laughing the whole time. Then he also tells me about a story where another white guy he used to work for picked him up for work one day at the park, and the white guy said to him, "man there are enough N words down here to have a basketball team". He got mad at him for saying that. Now, his old boss was old school so I guess that had something to do with it. Thinking it was alright. He didn't mean anything by it other than the fact that they were all black. Because that was the same context imo. I don't get it. And I sometimes wonder why we all can't get along.

 

"Come on T":lol2:

I dont mind when a black person I am friends with or work with calls me the n word, in fact to me it shows that I am his homey. If he is comfortable enough to call me that then we are on the level. I would never use that word when reference him as my homey though.

I feel there may be some confusion on the N word. One ends with an R and it is never acceptable. The other ends with an A and can be used in various ways. My son who was raised in his milky white world now lives with 2 black kids and has learned a lot from them. We had this conversation and he can use the A ended variety towards them, when he is with them and he thinks he knows how to use it properly when by himself. It can be an endearing term or it can be used in a hate full tone. Much like if I called one of you a clown out of anger or out of friendship in a kidding manner.

I am a white male and my black friends let me use it. As was said it can be a synonym of "bro," but I think it depends on context.

58 posts and not one person uses the word or words in question. I see Redneck, Jew, hillbilly etc. but no one is comfortable typing either N...r or N....a in this thread. I think that says a lot. I am 60, white and can never imagine using the words in question and feeling comfortable. Hillbilly, redneck, sure but not the other.

 

Younger adults and older kids do use it a lot. Music is filled with it. I hope that stops, I really do.

You need to leave Northern Kentucky and spend some time in the hills and hollers. :lol2:

You wouldn't care to stereotype would you.

And what by all means would you so called people who live in the city be called?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.