April 6, 201511 yr But you know what would REALLY help the situation? White people holding other white people who say it in a derogatory manner accountable. White people use it because they are comfortable around each other, because they think they can "get away with it." A whole lot of truth in this. A whole lot.
April 6, 201511 yr Is he Jewish? I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. He went to Benet Academy, a Catholic School. I would think he may be of Polish descent, but that doesn't make him Jewish. Most Poles are Catholic.
April 6, 201511 yr If he's called stupid in a derogatory way, it's not about the word, but the intent IMO. I agree with Clizzy on intent making all the difference in how the word is used, although I am not a fan of it at all and believe we'd all be better off if the word was stripped from our vocabulary. The inconsistency I see is that if two black guys are friends, they can use it with one another. But if a black guy has an equally close friend who is white, he can't use it. Even though neither has malicious or racist or hateful intent, one can say it and the other can't based solely on the color of skin? Isn't that what we're trying to eradicate? Treating someone differently based only on the color of their skin? Clyde, for instance, would be peachy keen with being referred to as "stupid fresh." Not so much if it were "stupidhead." Me too, come to think about it.
April 6, 201511 yr Is he Jewish? I don't think so, but I don't know for sure. He went to Benet Academy, a Catholic School. I would think he may be of Polish descent, but that doesn't make him Jewish.I really don't know. I was just using that as an example.
April 6, 201511 yr Clyde, for instance, would be peachy keen with being referred to as "stupid fresh." Not so much if it were "stupidhead." Me too, come to think about it. I bet MTGL could call Clyde a stupidhead. I hope he does, in fact. :lol2:
April 6, 201511 yr I really don't know. I was just using that as an example. I did some research. He is Catholic. There's actually a site out there that was tracking the Jewish basketball players in the tournament. They listed those who are Jewish, and those who could be perceived to be Jewish based upon their name. Willie Cauley-Stein was on the second list with Frank Kaminsky.
April 6, 201511 yr Most Poles are Catholic. I know. But until the Holocaust, there were as many Jews in Poland as any religion.
April 6, 201511 yr I know. But until the Holocaust, there were as many Jews in Poland as any religion. Not really. About 10 percent. More than 2/3 were Catholic and that number climbs to about 85 percent if you include Orthodox. The population of Jews did artificially rise because of the Holocaust because of them being transported there from elsewhere in Europe, but there were only 3 million Jews living in Poland as of 1931.
April 6, 201511 yr I get the sentiment that black dudes should stop using it if we want to eliminate the problem, I really do... But you know what would REALLY help the situation? White people holding other white people who say it in a derogatory manner accountable. White people use it because they are comfortable around each other, because they think they can "get away with it." I agree. I will say that in my universe that is happening. I can't remember the last time one of my 60ish age friends used the word without everyone getting on him. Thus the use of the term has all but disappeared in our group of maybe 50 people. 40 years ago that was not the case and it would have been laughed off or ignored. Our children have probably had the most impact on the use of the word, at least for a couple of our members.
April 6, 201511 yr Not really. About 10 percent. More than 2/3 were Catholic and that number climbs to about 85 percent if you include Orthodox. The population of Jews did artificially rise because of the Holocaust because of them being transported there from elsewhere in Europe, but there were only 3 million Jews living in Poland as of 1931. Could be. But Poland had the largest European Jewish population prior to the Holocaust. One fifth of the population Poland was was killed, 90% of which were Jewish. In 1939, Jews constituted 30% of Warsaw's population
April 6, 201511 yr Could be. But Poland had the largest European Jewish population prior to the Holocaust. One fifth of the population Poland was was killed, 90% of which were Jewish. It's kind of tough to nail all that down because of the major shift in Poland's borders before and after WWII, such as where is a death counted as if it happened in a city that was in Poland before but the USSR after, or cities that were German and became Polish.
April 6, 201511 yr Redneck is a great example. If one white guy calls his buddy a redneck, as RM has pointed out, they embrace it. If me and PP call a couple white dudes rednecks, you think they are going to feel the same way about it? I wouldn't be offended once I met you. PP92 can call me that or what ever he prefers, having hung out with him briefly, I'd be cool with it. My question for a lot on here would be, if there's a black guy and a white guy that are good friends, is it acceptable for the white guy to call him the N word with an "a" on the end? I ask because I know of a few that have that type of friendship, and the black guys aren't offended, they laugh and joke back.
April 6, 201511 yr On the surface it makes sense but can it be likened to the fact that I'm allowed to call my brother stupid but if someone else does we're going to have a problem? [video=youtube;UVgbFttx-6I]
April 6, 201511 yr I've always been under the impression that when black guys started using the "N" word with each other a while back that it was a way of taking ownership of the word between themselves that originally had a negative connotation, thereby lessoning the sting of the word. Not sure if that still is the reason, or that it's just now become after so many years of usage, phasing passed along culturally and reinforced through Hip Hop as a cool hip way for youthful blacks to talk to one another. Personally I don't and won't use it, however because I'm a music lover who likes to memorize and sing lyrics along with songs, years ago when I added NWA and Too Short to my collection I got a kick out of trying my hand at memorizing rhymes and singing along. Of course with that I was "N" wording left and right along with the songs. I certainly wouldn't just walk down the street and let anyone hear me singing these tunes but maybe with friends I would try to woo them with my spot on rhyming for the heck of it. What are people's thoughts of a white guy singing along to Hip Hop that uses the word? Is this acceptable? I always felt a little stupid and pretentious because singing stuff like NWA where the album started with "You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge" as if I was down with streets like I lived it, which I really didn't. Nonetheless, I still got a kick out of memorizing and rapping along with these tunes no matter how stupid this pale face sounded spittin' out these rhymes.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.