Who is the best coach in college football?

John Anthony

Who is the best coach in college football?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best coach in college football?

It is hard to name just one. How about a top ten:

Urban Meyer

Nick Saban

Gary Patterson

Bill Snyder

Bob Stoops

Steve Spurrier

David Cutcliffe

Paul Johnson

Les Miles

Mark Dantonio

I like consistency/continuity as well as some longevity in a head coach and his staff. I don't like Jimbo Fisher, so he was omitted. I think I will have Jim Harbaugh on the list in a couple of years. Until then, he is a professional coach, in my eyes.

Honorable Mention: Chris Petersen, Jim Mora, Jerry Kill, James Franklin, and David Shaw.

That's a good list.....for D1. However, if you're talking about all of college football, D2 and D3 included, then I think you have to look at coaches at such schools as North Dakota State, Mt. Union, Wisconsin Whitewater, etc. I would not be surprised that these coaches are better thn their D1 counterparts when true coaching, not recruiting and hiring expensive coordinators, is concerned.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is hard to name just one. How about a top ten:

Urban Meyer

Nick Saban

Gary Patterson

Bill Snyder

Bob Stoops

Steve Spurrier

David Cutcliffe

Paul Johnson

Les Miles

Mark Dantonio

I like consistency/continuity as well as some longevity in a head coach and his staff. I don't like Jimbo Fisher, so he was omitted. I think I will have Jim Harbaugh on the list in a couple of years. Until then, he is a professional coach, in my eyes.

Honorable Mention: Chris Petersen, Jim Mora, Jerry Kill, James Franklin, and David Shaw.

I'm predicting he falls off the radar in about a year or two.

That's a good list.....for D1. However, if you're talking about all of college football, D2 and D3 included, then I think you have to look at coaches at such schools as North Dakota State, Mt. Union, Wisconsin Whitewater, etc. I would not be surprised that these coaches are better thn their D1 counterparts when true coaching, not recruiting and hiring expensive coordinators, is concerned.

I totally agree.

Remember when Ohio State hired Jim Tressel?

I would have to put Saban at #1 right now but Meyer is right there with him. There are other very good coaches of course but imo whoever might be 3rd would be a very distant third. Saban and Meyer are in a class of their own.

I have to mention Bill Snyder for the longevity, the man always fields a team that is very competitive and he along with his teams act and play with class.

I like Saban but Meyer has a couple of big things going for him in this discussion. He is 9-2 in bowl games. Saban is 8-8. It is hard to believe that the BEST coach is only .500 in bowl games. Also, Meyer has coached TWO teams (Utah once and OSU once) that went 12-0 and did NOT win a national championship.

Saban.

If I am not allowed to pick him, how about Larry Kehre, Mount Union College. The winningest football coach in college football history with a winning percentage of .927. Coach Larry Kehres has 10 NCAA Division III Championships and the two longest winning streaks in NCAA football history with 54 wins and then after one lost he has a 55 game winning streak.

Yes, but the past 6 years Wisconsin White-Water has owned the Mount.

I go slight edge to Saban, only because Meyer a a little bit of a history of having teams that are undisciplined off the field.

At least he did at Florida.

I think that type of stuff often eventually creates problems. If I remember correctly, when he left Florida, they were in a bit of a mess.