Would you rather your favorite team be good in basketball, football or something else

Oldbird

as an Ashland Tomcat fan........

I choose football #1 because I feel its the ultimate team game where (usually/not always):

- more youngsters can be, and feel a part of a "team,"

- 1 or a couple of spectacular talents don't regularly dominate the outcome,

- the coach typically isn't the focus or as seemingly manipulative of the game process, like say basketball or baseball [ie., not "telling" the players what to do "as" they are playing]

- officials seemingly aren't as determinative in the outcome of games with their judgement calls [Fball seems to have less variance in judgement calls]

- there is a ritualistic routine of weekly game preparation and excitment building up to the event (a natural cycle, if you will, psychologically)

- less of an "individualistic" focus [leaving out TO & Randy Moss that is] has a positive impact on our society.

Whoops, Sorry... maybe a little too much sociology there on that last one:creepy: After all, this is about SPORTS:banana:

Football is also usually the money maker for most of the other smaller sports programs. I recognize that there are some schools which just cannot afford the sport b/c of the needed equipment, facilities, etc. Smaller schools can also have difficulty fielding competitive teams.

I obviously don't intend my points as 100% fact, just an overall perspective of the sport. Anyone could easily point out individual examples that differ, but I think these are very reasonable truisms. That doesnt mean someone else can't enjoy another sport more.

Ashland has a long & storied history of championships in MANY sports. Different sports have peaked in different eras of our school, success has varied with the rise & fall of talent, and we are no longer near one of the bigger schools with resources,etc. that many others don't have; but overall we have good support for all the sports that are offered at Ashland - basically no sport gets an overwhelming focus to the detriment of others. We aren't able to offer all the sports, or perhaps the level of $, etc that some of the huge programs are able to, or choose to do, but thats life. [theres no need to insinuate specific schools or cities b/c some folks on here seem to always turn topics into shooting arrows at others]

P.S. I support great academic achievement & other extracurricular activities as well.

Cheers, Woody Jr

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that in KY that basketball is king, but football is my favorite.

We know it's all in the eyes of the beholder, by the numbers we really know which is pumping out grade A talent. And, it's getting better miles and miles every year.

If Highlands was a powerhouse in Basketball and not Football, where would you put the people. Come on, everybody knows that Highlands relies on a couple of huge football games every year to bring in the big money. At Highlands it is and always will be FOOTBALL!!!! When i think of Harrison County i think of Baseball. Some schools just take more pride in one sport that others. It's just that simple.

when you say kentucky is a basketball state i slightly disagree. Kentucky is a basketball state b/c of all the tradition at the university. But, it's not like we produce alot of basketball talent. I think that the state is more passionate about high school football, at least it is where i am from. I bet that if you took a census of the state of KY and asked them if they would rather be the winningest football or basketball program in college that more would lean towards football. Especially since we are in the SEC. Who really cares about being the big dog in the SEC in basketball. Football in the south is king. I think that football is a bigger passion across the whole country. What holds more weight to you? Being the national champ in basketball or football? Around the country UK would have more respect if it won the title in football. Only because it is the best game ever invented.

OK, I will be the horse of a different color, but if I had the choice between Football, or Basketball, I would choose something else......Academics hands down......let my school win the Governors Cup any day of the week.... You be the football/basketball hero in high school, but I would rather you work for me in the game of life while I go off playing golf.....and not worrying about the bill collectors knocking on my door....

Sports are fun, Education is for life.......

OK, I will be the horse of a different color, but if I had the choice between Football, or Basketball, I would choose something else......Academics hands down......let my school win the Governors Cup any day of the week.... You be the football/basketball hero in high school, but I would rather you work for me in the game of life while I go off playing golf.....and not worrying about the bill collectors knocking on my door....

Sports are fun, Education is for life.......[/QUO

so your implying that those that are good at athletics cannot do well in the classroom. Who is to say you cannot be good at both? They must have picked on you. lol.

as an Ashland Tomcat fan........

I choose football #1 because I feel its the ultimate team game where (usually/not always):

- more youngsters can be, and feel a part of a "team,"

- 1 or a couple of spectacular talents don't regularly dominate the outcome,

- the coach typically isn't the focus or as seemingly manipulative of the game process, like say basketball or baseball [ie., not "telling" the players what to do "as" they are playing]

- officials seemingly aren't as determinative in the outcome of games with their judgement calls [Fball seems to have less variance in judgement calls]

- there is a ritualistic routine of weekly game preparation and excitment building up to the event (a natural cycle, if you will, psychologically)

- less of an "individualistic" focus [leaving out TO & Randy Moss that is] has a positive impact on our society.

Whoops, Sorry... maybe a little too much sociology there on that last one:creepy: After all, this is about SPORTS:banana:

Football is also usually the money maker for most of the other smaller sports programs. I recognize that there are some schools which just cannot afford the sport b/c of the needed equipment, facilities, etc. Smaller schools can also have difficulty fielding competitive teams.

I obviously don't intend my points as 100% fact, just an overall perspective of the sport. Anyone could easily point out individual examples that differ, but I think these are very reasonable truisms. That doesnt mean someone else can't enjoy another sport more.

Ashland has a long & storied history of championships in MANY sports. Different sports have peaked in different eras of our school, success has varied with the rise & fall of talent, and we are no longer near one of the bigger schools with resources,etc. that many others don't have; but overall we have good support for all the sports that are offered at Ashland - basically no sport gets an overwhelming focus to the detriment of others. We aren't able to offer all the sports, or perhaps the level of $, etc that some of the huge programs are able to, or choose to do, but thats life. [theres no need to insinuate specific schools or cities b/c some folks on here seem to always turn topics into shooting arrows at others]

P.S. I support great academic achievement & other extracurricular activities as well.

Cheers, Woody Jr

:thumb: