LA Clippers owner banned for life

It was a private conversation that became very public. Apples and anchovies...

So, we are to say that owners can not have any private beliefs? As long as it didn't impact who he hired, or what he paid them, I don't see how this would work in our world. Of course, I haven't seen the NBA's constitution to see what kind of power they have. I mean, if you are suspending people for life for what they say to their girlfriend/wife, where does the line get drawn?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, but this was a private conversation. Now the league has to be consistent with this for every incident. I know that there aren't a million of them, but there will be more. They may not deal with race, but I could see sexual orientation being a topic of a recorded conversation.

Or what about misogynistic comments. I'm sure if you recorded everything you'd mind many players guilty of these.

So, we are to say that owners can not have any private beliefs? As long as it didn't impact who he hired, or what he paid them, I don't see how this would work in our world. Of course, I haven't seen the NBA's constitution to see what kind of power they have. I mean, if you are suspending people for life for what they say to their girlfriend/wife, where does the line get drawn?

At the point the insanely racist views and beliefs start to impact the bottom line of the other 29 owners? Yeah. That...

I agree. I get why people are outraged, but I think it is a sad day for America when you can have property forcefully taken away from you for having an unpopular opinion or words. He has a right to believe whatever he wants to. The free market would have punished him and deservedly so.

He agreed to be held to their standards when he purchased the team.

NBA teams are franchises. Do something to shame the brand and you be gone. In the grand scheme this whole thing is a joke. These comments from Sterling are the least racial thing he's done and it's ultimately what will take him done. The fact that the players, coaches, and NBA put up with his racist butt for 30 years and now they all want to take the high road is laughable.

NBA teams are franchises. Do something to shame the brand and you be gone. In the grand scheme this whole thing is a joke. These comments from Sterling are the least racial thing he's done and it's ultimately what will take him done. The fact that the players' date=' coaches, and NBA put up with his racist butt for 30 years and now they all want to take the high road is laughable.[/quote']

That's what I've been saying! :thumb:

It's been a long time coming. Even someone without Sterling's history would have gotten the hammer over this, but for a guy that has done the things that he's done and said the thing's that he's said, all while being a non-contributory leach on the league for three decades? Who can say that they're surprised.

And, yeah, he deserves every inch of it, and count me with Deuce as far as questioning people who have a problem with it. If Magic gets the team, I will be buying Clipper gear up.