LA Clippers owner banned for life

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!

Silver doesn't waste any time making a statement. And justifiably so.

Will he have to sell the team?

3/4 vote of owners to remove him.

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO 38s

Adam Silver's final thought: "I fully expect to get the support I need (via 3/4ths vote) to remove (Sterling)." Removal now up to owners.

Chris Palmer ‏@ChrisPalmerNBA 14s

Silver: "If a player in the future doesn't want to play for the Clippers and is under contract, we'll deal with that."

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Silver says the league is not considering granting free agency to Clippers players after the season.

Right, for now. I would be shocked if he doesn't take legal action of some kind.
Interesting take on that:

Q: Sterling is notoriously litigious. Can he go to court to stop Silver from punishing him?

A: Not effectively. When Silver issues his punishment to Sterling, the decision is final. The constitution provides in Paragraph 24(m) that a commissioner's decision shall be "final, binding, and conclusive" and shall be as final as an award of arbitration. It is almost impossible to find a judge in the United States judicial system who would set aside an award of arbitration. Sterling can file a lawsuit, but he would face a humiliating defeat early in the process. There is no antitrust theory or principle that would help him against Silver and the NBA. He could claim an antitrust violation, for example, if he were trying to move his team to a different market. But under the terms of the NBA constitution, he has no chance to succeed in litigation over punishment.

Munson: Challenge for Donald Sterling - ESPN

3/4 vote of owners to remove him.

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO 38s

Adam Silver's final thought: "I fully expect to get the support I need (via 3/4ths vote) to remove (Sterling)." Removal now up to owners.

Sounds like 3/4th is definite from immediate reaction.

It was really nice of him to remove himself enough for the team to become desirable again before doing something so stupid as to get kicked out....