LA Clippers owner banned for life

same for the player IMO, a privalege to be playing in the NBA. So the next time a player calls someone the N word or homo slur are they kicked out for being racist.

I havent listened to the tape of Sterling but did he ever say the N word?

No he didn't and this was way down the racism scale for this man in his history. Not only did nothing come from his past racist actions, which are far stronger than words uttered privately to his half black girlfriend, he was awarded Chris Paul in a trade from a team owned by the rest of the owners after voiding a more fair deal to another team.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same for the player IMO, a privalege to be playing in the NBA. So the next time a player calls someone the N word or homo slur are they kicked out for being racist.

I havent listened to the tape of Sterling but did he ever say the N word?

Actually, no, it's not the same for a player. Not at all really...

3/4 vote of owners to remove him.

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO 38s

Adam Silver's final thought: "I fully expect to get the support I need (via 3/4ths vote) to remove (Sterling)." Removal now up to owners.

If individual voting results are made public, I find it hard to believe it won't be anything but unanimous. Going to be very hard for any other owner to back Sterling's right to ownership, without looking like they're backing him, and subsequently, his thoughts.

If individual voting results are made public, I find it hard to believe it won't be anything but unanimous. Going to be very hard for any other owner to back Sterling's right to ownership, without looking like they're backing him, and subsequently, his thoughts.
If Cuban chose to NOT back the forced sale I believe he'd make it public.

He has a right to believe whatever he wants. The NBA has a right to act on those racist beliefs. Free speech is not devoid of consequences...

Right, but this was a private conversation. Now the league has to be consistent with this for every incident. I know that there aren't a million of them, but there will be more. They may not deal with race, but I could see sexual orientation being a topic of a recorded conversation.

Now it's time for the Clippers to focus on the task at hand. As hard as it might be with all the media wanting soundbites from the players, they have a job to do for each other, get to the NBA Finals. They need to not let this define them as a team, better yet show that they can overcome this as those pioneers of the game before them. Because in the end it's about the game and how it's played, not the look of who plays it.

Edited by OlDog75

I agree. I get why people are outraged, but I think it is a sad day for America when you can have property forcefully taken away from you for having an unpopular opinion or words. He has a right to believe whatever he wants to. The free market would have punished him and deservedly so.

The NBA is not a true capitalist free market enterprise. In a true economic sense the NBA probably violates a lot of economic laws in this country. If the league can collectively decide to fix salaries then this is definitely fine. It's bad for business for the NBA.

Right, but this was a private conversation. Now the league has to be consistent with this for every incident. I know that there aren't a million of them, but there will be more. They may not deal with race, but I could see sexual orientation being a topic of a recorded conversation.

It was a private conversation that became very public. Apples and anchovies...