Open Jobs/Filled Jobs 2014

Without emotion; I have some information that may help provide an understanding of a few of the considerations school administrators have to take into account when they hire coaches: First. I think it's safe to say the most KY school districts are dealing with budget cuts and/or revenue reductions across the board so what could have been done financially 5 years ago may not be the case in today's financial environment. Administrators have to weigh all personnel options to maximize their budgets. As an example, a district that is hiring a coach and also has a Math opening would seek to hire a coach who can also fill the Math opening, thereby maximizing the districts spend and most likely maximizing the coach's potential for income. This may not always be the case, but ideally, that's the scenario that works best for all parties.

Second, Administrator's also need to weigh what they pay a Coach in light of Title 9 and other non-discrimination laws. If you were to hire a boy's basketball Coach and pay him a base of $20,000 to coach then you have to apply the same to the girl's coach, and other coaches for other sports so the impact is potentially far more than the $20,000 your pay the boy's coach.

Lastly, I think it bears saying that the bulk of any HS coach's income is derived from a teaching position and not from coaching. From my information, it appears KY HS coaches make anywhere from $1,000 to $9,000 for just coaching and it of course varies by school district size, tenure, etc. but it illustrates that coaches are educators first and coaches second as far as derived income goes.

Just my 2 cents worth

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Stapleton, I believe there is a Special Ed position opening at Bracken. That could be the opportunity for him?

Of course, if I'm anyone who originally applied, and they come to me now, clearly I was their 4th choice. Not sure I want that job.

This could have been avoided even before the Hinson fiasco. Don't fire a loyal, hard working coach who most argue overachieved, and you don't look like the biggest clowns in KHSAA right now...

General comment:

You can teach in one district and coach in another. It can work. Both Codes teach in public schools but coach at Brossart. Stapleton teaches at Scott but coaches at Mason County.

The school and coach can make it work if they want to.

General comment:

You can teach in one district and coach in another. It can work. Both Codes teach in public schools but coach at Brossart. Stapleton teaches at Scott but coaches at Mason County.

Agree

General comment:

I would say, normally, as the HEAD Coach, this is much more difficult, not impossible, but difficult.

OPEN

1) Bracken County

2) Breathitt County

3) Bryan Station

4) Calloway County

5) Edmonson County

6) Fleming County

7) Glasgow

8) Knox County Central

9) Lawrence County

10) Meade County

11) Owsley County

12) Pike County Central

13) South Warren

14) Thomas Nelson

15) Todd County Central

16) Whitfield Academy (Louisville)

FILLED

1) Apollo- Steve Barker

2) Atherton - Mark Tudor

3) Betsy Layne- Gary Keathley

4) Brown (Louisville) - Scott Cissell

5) Caverna - Jeff Hall

6) Christian Academy of Louisville - Chad Carr

7) Doss - Tony Williams

8) Fairdale- David Hicks

9) Garrard County - Josh Henderson

10) Greenwood - Jordan Carter

11) John Hardin - Jared McCurry

12) Lexington Christian - Nate Valentine

13) McLean County - Greg Stephens

14) Mercer County- Josh Cook

15) Montgomery County - Matt Daniels

16) Murray - Bart Flener

17) North Hardin- Mike Cofer

18) North Oldham - Rob Burton

19) Owensboro Catholic - Neil Hayden

20) Pendleton County- Keaton Belcher

21) Powell County - Ryan Whitaker

22) Pulaski County - Jimmy Voight

23) Russell County - John Tinsley

24) Shawnee - Miguel Coleman

25) St. Francis - Richard Butcher

26) Valley - Joe Harris

27) Warren East - Brandon Combs

28) Washington County- Bernard Smalley

29) Union County - Mark Starns

I honestly don't know the answer to this.

Is it typical for 45 head coaching positions to turn over each season?

That's 16% of all boys jobs in Kentucky that came open this off-season, although to be fair some of the jobs came open because their coach left to take one of the other open jobs. 16% seems a little higher than normal, but I'd say not too much.

Anybody know about Fleming County? I had heard a while back that they were going to promote someone within the school system.

I was told they had to hire from within if they had an interested candidate. I heard they do, but a name was not told to me.

I was told they had to hire from within if they had an interested candidate. I heard they do, but a name was not told to me.

Is the Pressley Marshall that recently was hired to Coach 6th and 7th grade basketball at Bracken County the same that starred at Fleming County several years ago? Sorry off the subject.

Is the Pressley Marshall that recently was hired to Coach 6th and 7th grade basketball at Bracken County the same that starred at Fleming County several years ago? Sorry off the subject.

That is a good group. Was surprised to see that name though in Bracken County Middle School. Wasn't he more known for foot ball at Fleming County? Coach Ray must just be doing 8th grade only