Open Jobs/Filled Jobs 2014

I'm hearing tony Williams is going to be the next coach at Doss. Former Doss and UofL player he is the current coach at St Francis did a good job there and he won't have to recruit to Doss they always have talent.

Would be totally shocked if it isn't Tony Williams. Doss returns a lot, but I suspect more will come with Coach Williams being there. Also, Coach Williams' nephew was a freshman at St. Francis. Any chance the KHSAA would allow him to transfer to Doss without having to sit out a year?

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Velcro12, I agree. I definitely think Bryan Station is a good job. I guess you have to wonder why nobody has been named. Are teaching jobs the problem? If that is the case will they hire a non-teacher or hire an interim coach until a teaching job comes open. Either way you would hope for the kids sake, they would get someone in place.

I heard Bracken County was offering the job for the third time to someone. I am completely unaware of who this candidate is?

Neither do they

Edited by gold sunrise
Fixing quote

Velcro12, I agree. I definitely think Bryan Station is a good job. I guess you have to wonder why nobody has been named. Are teaching jobs the problem? If that is the case will they hire a non-teacher or hire an interim coach until a teaching job comes open. Either way you would hope for the kids sake, they would get someone in place.

I posted earlier that the school got audited`and got raked over the coals. I'm talking about the current administration. Therefore, there is a lot more going on than just looking for a coach. There was an article in the paper that was pretty revealing on the issues they were having. It will be interesting how it works itself out.

A look at the new coaches in the 6th and 7th regions

Atherton- Mark Tudor

Has been the Assistant coach for the past couple years. He was the head JV coach and did a pretty good job with them. Tudor takes over a program that gets some decent talent and is in a district that is looking for a number two team. (Trinity, Atherton, Seneca, and Waggener) they have not been to region since the districts realigned.

Brown- Scott Cissell

Cissell has spent the last 9 years as an assistant coach 7 at Louisville Holy Cross (head freshman) and 2 at Waggener (head JV). He did a good job at both places, playing up the talent he had to work with. He coached under Mike Durham (current 6th region coach of the year) and played for Stan Hardin. I would expect an up tempo style and a very tough defensive team. Brown has not had very much success at all. In a district with St. X and male will make it tough for anybody.

CAL- Chad Carr

Carr went 69-95 in six seasons as head coach at Whitefield, including 10-16 last season, after four years as an assistant there. He was the JV coach there for 3 years. He did a good job at Whitefield and made them competitive in the 6th region and competed for the All A 7th region almost every year. He takes over a program that has more talent but also must go against Ballard, Easter and KCD. This is a very tough district.

Doss- Tony Williams

Tony had an 11-year pro career playing basketball in Turkey, Italy, France and Lebanon. Williams garnered Asian and Euro league honors, including playing on three league finals teams, two All-Star teams, and in two season championships, according to the release. Prior to being drafted in 2000, Williams played at U of L from 1996 through 2000 for legendary Coach Denny Crum. At U of L, Williams is No. 41 on the list of all-time scorers, scoring 1,133 points during four years for 9.4 points per game average. In his only year as coach at St Francis he led them to a 14-14 recorded. The best record in school history. He did a great job hear and will excel at Doss with the talent they have.

Fairdale- David Hicks

Hicks was been a player and Assistant in the Fairdale program for the past 19 years. He won a state championship at Fairdale in the early 90’s. He has been coached and mentored by Stan Hardin, Lloyd Gardner and Gregg Longacre. He did a good job as the JV coach and had them competitive. I would not see much changing as far as style of play because of being a Fairdale guy. He has previous head coaching experience from being the head baseball coach at Fairdale.

Valley- Joe Harris

Harris was an Assistant under Doug Bibby at Central; he was also an asst. for Beachwood, Cincinnati Taft and the head 8th grade coach at Farsley Middle school. I would expect Valley to have a very similar style to that of Central. He takes over a job that has not had a lot of recent success. In a district with PRP, Fairdale, Holy Cross and Beth Haven, the second spot in this district is wide open next year.

St. Francis- Empty

Whitefield-Empty

I understand the new boys coach at St. Francis will be Richard Butcher, who was the school's girls coach last year. Coach Butcher is not well known but has an interesting background - BA from Harvard, MBA from Georgetown, coached in California (including as an assistant for the UC-Irvine women's team) and as an assistant for a team in the Australian Women's National Basketball League. Served as Chief of Staff for California Congresswoman Diane Watson for 10 years prior to coming to St. Francis last year.