Open Jobs/Filled Jobs 2014

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With what coaches and their families go through, they should be paid a lot more. Certainly is not worth what they are paying now. Most people on the outside don't have a clue.

With what coaches and their families go through, they should be paid a lot more. Certainly is not worth what they are paying now. Most people on the outside don't have a clue.

Most people would be surprised if they knew that HS coaches in any sport make so little. The amount of time these individuals put in the gym and then the amount of time spent outside of the gym they are making pennies on the hour. I didn't add the fact that they have to put up with crying parents why little Johnny isn't playing all while possible not having a school administration backing that coach.

You have to do it for the love of the game and the kids. Why else would anyone want to coach or even to that officiate. Thats a whole other topic.

Most people would be surprised if they knew that HS coaches in any sport make so little. The amount of time these individuals put in the gym and then the amount of time spent outside of the gym they are making pennies on the hour. I didn't add the fact that they have to put up with crying parents why little Johnny isn't playing all while possible not having a school administration backing that coach.

You have to do it for the love of the game and the kids. Why else would anyone want to coach or even to that officiate. Thats a whole other topic.

If you factor in the time, and even give a gas allowance........officials are making approximately 25 bucks an hour.........is that what coaches make (rhetorical question)?

If you factor in the time, and even give a gas allowance........officials are making approximately 25 bucks an hour.........is that what coaches make (rhetorical question)?

Factoring in time spent and expenses...I'm not sure I make minimum wage to coach.

Not sure about officials out in the state pay but officials in Louisville area do well without the travel cost. First year basketball coaches in Louisville make $4,000 and top out at $7,000. A lot of Louisville schools are cutting cost and transportation is one of them. Pushing coaches to get their CDL's to drive team busses. One school told all coaches that transportation will come out of their budgets. To get a CDL takes two-weeks of full time training. More and more getting put on coaches for little pay, at least in Jefferson Co.

Not sure about officials out in the state pay but officials in Louisville area do well without the travel cost. First year basketball coaches in Louisville make $4,000 and top out at $7,000. A lot of Louisville schools are cutting cost and transportation is one of them. Pushing coaches to get their CDL's to drive team busses. One school told all coaches that transportation will come out of their budgets. To get a CDL takes two-weeks of full time training. More and more getting put on coaches for little pay, at least in Jefferson Co.

I believe I'd quit and fish.

If in a typical game of 2 hours you may be correct but you are not counting the time before and after, as well as the expense of equipment. I heard one game this year went 5 hours!!

Which is better? to coach or to officiate?? That is the question... :)

or C. None of the above

Just kidding for the most part on that.......people that coach and officiate obviously do it for reasons other than the money. And anyone that has been around knows that going in. But officials make ALOT more money PER HOUR than coaches. Most high school games are done in 1.5 hours.....there are occasional crazy things that happen.

Came back to edit........IF the coach is doing all that it takes to compete and run a quality program. I assume you could go through the motions and make a decent little check.

First: There is no gas allowance, you travel on your dime and hope to recoup some of the mileage on your taxes.

Second: If you factor in the training sessions that are not paid, fees to register every year, travel to and from games, working summer camps and scrimmages for free, you may be able to say close to $20 or $25 and hour.

Third: (and maybe most important) Coaches get crap from parents, maybe sometimes fans. Officials get it from coaches, fans, and sometimes players plus get the added bonus of being evaluated on an ongoing basis.

Yes, there is a financial difference in the pay per game based on hours in the gym, but I would guess that most officials, if they work a whole bunch of games, make about half what a varsity coach makes in a season in most cases.