Belfry 3 Wayne County 0 (2013 Class 3A State Championship)

What style QB would Keaton Taylor be? I know Belfry doesn't really throw a lot, so I'm guessing he'd fit the mold of Sani Warren, but maybe the open the offense up a little bit with a pair of tight ends like Cole Bentley and RayQuan Horton. Who else might play QB if Taylor didn't?

And sorry if it's been answered before, but which colleges are looking at Hall (or any new ones)?

Taylor will run the option. He actually has pretty good experience there as he started a handful of games last season when Sani was injured and did a pretty fine job (he was the QB in 2012 when Belfry went to Johnson Central and won). Keaton is an explosive player and is dangerous with his feet and will actually be a bit more of a threat as a true runner...the issue though is he is not nearly as capable of a passer as Sani and isn't nearly as smooth with his ball handling (Sani was a magician running the belly). The other drawback is playing Keaton at QB takes away one of Belfry's biggest weapons at WR as well where Keaton was very good this year.

Wellman the Punter can play QB if needed and Catron was a good option QB in Middle School but his height and passing ability may hurt him. Neither have the skillset of Keaton, nor his varsity experience.

Hall hasn't been the one garnering the attention yet, Bentley has been. He was selected as an All-American after 8th Grade and went to the Army Combine and had a great showing. He also attended camp at Florida and Alabama and won the Nick Saban award at the Bama camp and if I am not mistaken gained some accolades at the UF camp as well. Bentley has to get more lean, improve his speed and footwork, and become a viable receiving option. Strength, size, and "getting it" are already ahead of the curve.

The "X Factor" :D for Belfry's success next year is X Willis who they lost to a knee injury early in the season. Willis was eye opening this year and is the heir apparent to take over as the feature HB in place of Johnson.. great speed, excellent explosion, and a good pedigree (his brother was Tre Willis who was a large part of the 2010 and 2011 Runner-Up teams). He was also playing essentially half the snaps at CB giving Warren and Taylor rest and was excellent there. If WIllis can rehab and come back 100% he is going to be vital to Belfry's success as he is the only true HB they return with experience and big play ability. If he isn't the same after surgery then Belfry's offense will really have an uphill climb.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on my phone so I will post more later but for now I am on cloud nine.

It was nice to win one of those type of games after losing two of them in a row.

I was impressed with both teams especially defensively. Wayne was a good ball club and they deserve all the credit they have gotten. Belfry battled the fumble bug but still made the plays they had to make to seal the win. The secondary made play after play and there were some big hits too.

Thanks for all the nice words from my BGP friends it means a lot to me. I am so proud to be a Pirate and I am thankful for our coaching staff who are great leaders of young men. They do it with class and they instill that in the kids. Can't ask for much more than that.

They don't come better thr 2C. Congrats and enjoy his one.

It is their third title. That probably still leaves them outside the Top 10. Trinity, HHS, Male, St. X, Danville, Mayfield, Boyle, Cov Cath, Ft Campbell, Lynch and Beechwood all have more. (Off the top of my head)

As mentioned not very high. Belfry has only 3 titles, but they do have 7 Runner-Ups. If not for Central I think those numbers would be about 5:5 if not 6:4.

If you look at my previous post though you will understand why I also wouldn't be surprised to see a title or two added to that total over the next 5 years. Talent pool is about to be wayyyy up.

Gotcha. I thought they had more, for some reason.

Congrats Belfry! All of Pike County is proud of you guys for bringing home another one.

Sweet 16 basketball title, couple All-A state titles, middle school basketball championship, football state 3A championship (four straight title games), and baseball final four all within a few years. Not a bad showing last few years county wide across all sports, so who says mountain boys can't compete?