Belfry 3 Wayne County 0 (2013 Class 3A State Championship)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does this rank Belfry on the all-time list of most titles?

It is their third title. That probably still leaves them outside the Top 10. Trinity, HHS, Male, St. X, Danville, Mayfield, Boyle, Cov Cath, Ft Campbell, Lynch and Beechwood all have more. (Off the top of my head)

Anybody got stats for this game?

Anybody have a link to Coach Haywood's postgame interview, written, video or audio?

I have been on the Belfry Train all season but since a school 20 miles from here was there I had to root for the Cards today, several friends in and around the program.

Great season...for both schools all of their fans should be happy!

Who was #23 for Belfry? DE & TE. They said the kid was only a freshman. I'm guessing he's someone they are going to be building around in the future.

As pointed out it is Horton and his future is glaringly bright. If I am not mistaken he is either the 1st or 2nd Cousin to David Jones. Kid is absolutely blessed with God Given athletic ability and his improvement this year has been vital to Belfry's success. If Horton continues to grow and maintains the same drive as Jones did the sky is the limit for RayQuan. I could easily see him as one of the more dominant players in the State of KY.

Aside from Horton, the foundation is strong as the Pirates were very blessed with some physical specimens in the Freshman class.

Bentley- Starting TE, 6'4 255... he has the size you drool over..and is ahead of where I expected him to be as a blocker. He already has had some pretty lofty accolades and D-1 attention.

Hall- Starting DE who made the game clinching pick. I love this kid in Belfry's system. Runs like a deer and has a nice frame. Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up 6'2 or even 6'4 and he reminds me a ton of Tony Messer. Kid has that "it" factor where he seems to always make big plays.

Woolum- The first soccer style kicker Belfry has had in a looooooooong time. Kid was automatic on XP's and hit the game winner today as a FRESH. Still needs to continue to develop his leg strength but he may end up being far and away the best kicker to even come from Belfry.

Catron- Was an integral part of the "new" Belfry defense that was so good in playoffs. He saw extensive action in the secondary as the nickel back and also at LB where he is a ferocious...borderline violent... hitter. Played great against Bourbon and is the heir apparent to replace #2 Cameron Johnson at Safety.

Fletcher- Wasn't as easy to find once Belfry's backfield finally got healthy but this kid was vital to stabilizing the ship mid-way through the season and played well at FB. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at HB.. very skilled runner.

Also coming up is an 8th grade team who won the Middle School State Title over Wayne... I don't see the varsity ready physical specimens but there is definitely talent. The Hunter kid is extremely raw but I could see him being a true gamebreaker.... electric athlete. Wellman's brother Derek will contribute at LB Depth... and the Varney kid is a special player who I wouldn't be shoked to get the start at SE if Keaton Taylor moves to QB.

Where does this rank Belfry on the all-time list of most titles?

As mentioned not very high. Belfry has only 3 titles, but they do have 7 Runner-Ups. If not for Central I think those numbers would be about 5:5 if not 6:4.

If you look at my previous post though you will understand why I also wouldn't be surprised to see a title or two added to that total over the next 5 years. Talent pool is about to be wayyyy up.

As pointed out it is Horton and his future is glaringly bright. If I am not mistaken he is either the 1st or 2nd Cousin to David Jones. Kid is absolutely blessed with God Given athletic ability and his improvement this year has been vital to Belfry's success. If Horton continues to grow and maintains the same drive as Jones did the sky is the limit for RayQuan. I could easily see him as one of the more dominant players in the State of KY.

Aside from Horton, the foundation is strong as the Pirates were very blessed with some physical specimens in the Freshman class.

Bentley- Starting TE, 6'4 255... he has the size you drool over..and is ahead of where I expected him to be as a blocker. He already has had some pretty lofty accolades and D-1 attention.

Hall- Starting DE who made the game clinching pick. I love this kid in Belfry's system. Runs like a deer and has a nice frame. Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up 6'2 or even 6'4 and he reminds me a ton of Tony Messer. Kid has that "it" factor where he seems to always make big plays.

Woolum- The first soccer style kicker Belfry has had in a looooooooong time. Kid was automatic on XP's and hit the game winner today as a FRESH. Still needs to continue to develop his leg strength but he may end up being far and away the best kicker to even come from Belfry.

Catron- Was an integral part of the "new" Belfry defense that was so good in playoffs. He saw extensive action in the secondary as the nickel back and also at LB where he is a ferocious...borderline violent... hitter. Played great against Bourbon and is the heir apparent to replace #2 Cameron Johnson at Safety.

Fletcher- Wasn't as easy to find once Belfry's backfield finally got healthy but this kid was vital to stabilizing the ship mid-way through the season and played well at FB. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at HB.. very skilled runner.

Also coming up is an 8th grade team who won the Middle School State Title over Wayne... I don't see the varsity ready physical specimens but there is definitely talent. The Hunter kid is extremely raw but I could see him being a true gamebreaker.... electric athlete. Wellman's brother Derek will contribute at LB Depth... and the Varney kid is a special player who I wouldn't be shoked to get the start at SE if Keaton Taylor moves to QB.

What style QB would Keaton Taylor be? I know Belfry doesn't really throw a lot, so I'm guessing he'd fit the mold of Sani Warren, but maybe the open the offense up a little bit with a pair of tight ends like Cole Bentley and RayQuan Horton. Who else might play QB if Taylor didn't?

And sorry if it's been answered before, but which colleges are looking at Hall (or any new ones)?

I'm on my phone so I will post more later but for now I am on cloud nine.

It was nice to win one of those type of games after losing two of them in a row.

I was impressed with both teams especially defensively. Wayne was a good ball club and they deserve all the credit they have gotten. Belfry battled the fumble bug but still made the plays they had to make to seal the win. The secondary made play after play and there were some big hits too.

Thanks for all the nice words from my BGP friends it means a lot to me. I am so proud to be a Pirate and I am thankful for our coaching staff who are great leaders of young men. They do it with class and they instill that in the kids. Can't ask for much more than that.