Who is the Reds' Next Manager?

Fair enough....I don't believe Girardi will end up there, but oh well.

I don't know if he will or not. But he may have asked the Yankees to give him permission to speak to the Cubs about the manager spot. If they let him talk to the Cubs, the Cubs are preparing to offer a contract making him the second highest paid coaches in baseball.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These kind quotes are a bit alarming to me...

"Unfortunately, it's not like Mr. (Bob) Castellini can fire all of the players," LeCure said." I think it's more like him trying to send a message that the culture of the clubhouse had to change. But I do know Dusty was doing the best job he did. I think it was a time for a change with some of the personalities."

"I think Dusty's the sacrificial lamb because we din't have anyone step up and lead," LeCure said.

I like to hear this...

As for the next manager, Arroyo said he thinks Bryan Price would be an excellent choice.

"I think he'd be unbelievable," Arroyo said. "He's as organized as anyone in the game, he holds people as accountable as well as anyone I've seen. He doesn't buy into stereotypical things in the game, things that other people buy into that I don't feel are relevant. Price looks at evidence. He's a freaking smart guy, he makes his decision on reasonable evidence. Sometimes in baseball we go by hunches, what someone else said or they way things have gone in the past. He doesn't do that."

These kind quotes are a bit alarming to me...

"Unfortunately, it's not like Mr. (Bob) Castellini can fire all of the players," LeCure said." I think it's more like him trying to send a message that the culture of the clubhouse had to change. But I do know Dusty was doing the best job he did. I think it was a time for a change with some of the personalities."

"I think Dusty's the sacrificial lamb because we din't have anyone step up and lead," LeCure said.

Yes they are. Also why they need to make wholesale changes to the roster this offseason. It's clear there was division in that clubhouse.

I like to hear this...

As for the next manager, Arroyo said he thinks Bryan Price would be an excellent choice.

"I think he'd be unbelievable," Arroyo said. "He's as organized as anyone in the game, he holds people as accountable as well as anyone I've seen. He doesn't buy into stereotypical things in the game, things that other people buy into that I don't feel are relevant. Price looks at evidence. He's a freaking smart guy, he makes his decision on reasonable evidence. Sometimes in baseball we go by hunches, what someone else said or they way things have gone in the past. He doesn't do that."

I kinda take that as a shot at Dusty as much as an endorsement for Price.

How entrenched is Mattingly with the Dodgers? Ownership and the fans were on him very hard early in the season. Does he have any lingering feelings about that such that he might want to move? He is a Midwestern boy although he has spent considerable time in NY and now LA. I don't really know what his management style is and, whatever it is, whether it is right for the Reds. Whoever ends up with the Reds is taking on a very good team.

I agree with the ones that say that the new manager should have a lot of experience and preferably with a winner. I had a friend mention Barry Larkin or Joe Morgan, both are certainly "Reds" but neither have any managing experience.

One that has been mentioned on here is Jim Riggleman, I hope that he is not the choice. Girardi would be a long shot at best but he would be a great hire. Don Mattingly, Jim Leyland, Terry Francona would imo be great choices but I don't see any of them leaving where they are at or the Reds management buying out their contract to get them.

Cross LaRussa's name off the list. He said he wasn't getting back into coaching. Also being reported on mlbtraderumors.com that the Reds will likely stay inside with the hiring and Bryan Price was the leading candidate but that Riggleman was also a candidate

I would want Price to stay on as pitching coach but I just don't think so for a manager. I am not sure if a current member of the staff would be a good idea. jmo

And...even if he would come out of retirement I just don't think that I could stomach Tony Larussa, good manager yes, I just don't know if I could handle or watch him in a Reds uniform. lol

Cross LaRussa's name off the list. He said he wasn't getting back into coaching. Also being reported on mlbtraderumors.com that the Reds will likely stay inside with the hiring and Bryan Price was the leading candidate but that Riggleman was also a candidate

In the same article it had John Fay saying that it's not a given they're going to stay in-house.