Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

westsider has passed away

Featured Replies

The article describes him perfectly

  • Replies 100
  • Views 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's good stuff.
Yes it is. Makes me sad I never got the chance to met westsider I person.

For years I use to get a kick out of some of the debates he would have on here with folks, especially funny would be when someone would make a crack like what makes you an expert or something along those lines and I would just laugh and think to myself, if you only knew. he was an expert on high school sports, well sports period and devoted his life to coverage of high school sports. The state and in particular, far Western Kentucky will not be able to replace Westsider. Perhaps his best quality being his drive to always look at sports impartially. I would always talk with him to get the real perspective of where my beloved Mayfield Cardinals stood because he would look at it without the Mayfield colored glasses that I wear. I cant tell people how many times a year I would get a call or text to call my buddy Fosko to get his take on where the Cardinals stood before a big game. This would start early in the week well before he would write a story or post his picks and it use to drive him crazy. Many of out Mayfield BGP members would do this. When he would tell me Mayfield was the underdog it would drive many of us crazy and we would try to poke holes in his take but he was usually dead on. He was my introduction in person to so many of you all like the Guru and countless others who I now call friends when traveling to events like the state football championships. I can not tell you all how great a loss this is for me and for all who love high school sports. RIP Westsider, Heaven is a better place today!

Just got back from out of town and read this. I am so shocked and sadden. I met Joey many years ago. We always tried to go out and eat together during the Boys B-ball state Tourney. State tourney just wan't be the same with out him there. I will miss you my friend. RIP.

Wow, didn't see this til today. Scary stuff, I liked seeing his info on here. Prayers for his family in their time of need. God speed my friend.

Prayers to Westsiders family & friends. RIP

Boy, in reading through this thread it's become very evident that he left quite a legacy. Well done Joey.

I've thought about Joey a lot today. I wish I could have made he trip to pay my respects at his funeral.

For years I use to get a kick out of some of the debates he would have on here with folks, especially funny would be when someone would make a crack like what makes you an expert or something along those lines and I would just laugh and think to myself, if you only knew. he was an expert on high school sports, well sports period and devoted his life to coverage of high school sports. The state and in particular, far Western Kentucky will not be able to replace Westsider. Perhaps his best quality being his drive to always look at sports impartially. I would always talk with him to get the real perspective of where my beloved Mayfield Cardinals stood because he would look at it without the Mayfield colored glasses that I wear. I cant tell people how many times a year I would get a call or text to call my buddy Fosko to get his take on where the Cardinals stood before a big game. This would start early in the week well before he would write a story or post his picks and it use to drive him crazy. Many of out Mayfield BGP members would do this. When he would tell me Mayfield was the underdog it would drive many of us crazy and we would try to poke holes in his take but he was usually dead on. He was my introduction in person to so many of you all like the Guru and countless others who I now call friends when traveling to events like the state football championships. I can not tell you all how great a loss this is for me and for all who love high school sports. RIP Westsider, Heaven is a better place today!

 

Most people cover one or two teams in their county. He "covered" 15-20 teams. And his knowledge made you think he saw them play every game. He was an incredible wordsmith and could craft a lead that made you want to read it, whether it was a 30-29 game or a 54-0 blowout. Very few people on BGP know how much behind the scenes work he did, whether it was helping with the football and basketball rankings or writing previews. It's still a stunning loss four days later.

I was fortunate enough to get to go to the visitation Wednesday night. I got there 15 minutes after it started and stood in line for well over an hour. That probably tells you a great deal about how loved and respected Joey was in western Kentucky. It was an honor to call him my friend and I'm going to miss him tremendously.

I've thought about Joey a lot today. I wish I could have made he trip to pay my respects at his funeral.

 

Same here.

May God bless his soul and comfort those he left behind.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.