westsider has passed away

Oldbird

For years I use to get a kick out of some of the debates he would have on here with folks, especially funny would be when someone would make a crack like what makes you an expert or something along those lines and I would just laugh and think to myself, if you only knew. he was an expert on high school sports, well sports period and devoted his life to coverage of high school sports. The state and in particular, far Western Kentucky will not be able to replace Westsider. Perhaps his best quality being his drive to always look at sports impartially. I would always talk with him to get the real perspective of where my beloved Mayfield Cardinals stood because he would look at it without the Mayfield colored glasses that I wear. I cant tell people how many times a year I would get a call or text to call my buddy Fosko to get his take on where the Cardinals stood before a big game. This would start early in the week well before he would write a story or post his picks and it use to drive him crazy. Many of out Mayfield BGP members would do this. When he would tell me Mayfield was the underdog it would drive many of us crazy and we would try to poke holes in his take but he was usually dead on. He was my introduction in person to so many of you all like the Guru and countless others who I now call friends when traveling to events like the state football championships. I can not tell you all how great a loss this is for me and for all who love high school sports. RIP Westsider, Heaven is a better place today!

Just got back from out of town and read this. I am so shocked and sadden. I met Joey many years ago. We always tried to go out and eat together during the Boys B-ball state Tourney. State tourney just wan't be the same with out him there. I will miss you my friend. RIP.

For years I use to get a kick out of some of the debates he would have on here with folks, especially funny would be when someone would make a crack like what makes you an expert or something along those lines and I would just laugh and think to myself, if you only knew. he was an expert on high school sports, well sports period and devoted his life to coverage of high school sports. The state and in particular, far Western Kentucky will not be able to replace Westsider. Perhaps his best quality being his drive to always look at sports impartially. I would always talk with him to get the real perspective of where my beloved Mayfield Cardinals stood because he would look at it without the Mayfield colored glasses that I wear. I cant tell people how many times a year I would get a call or text to call my buddy Fosko to get his take on where the Cardinals stood before a big game. This would start early in the week well before he would write a story or post his picks and it use to drive him crazy. Many of out Mayfield BGP members would do this. When he would tell me Mayfield was the underdog it would drive many of us crazy and we would try to poke holes in his take but he was usually dead on. He was my introduction in person to so many of you all like the Guru and countless others who I now call friends when traveling to events like the state football championships. I can not tell you all how great a loss this is for me and for all who love high school sports. RIP Westsider, Heaven is a better place today!

Most people cover one or two teams in their county. He "covered" 15-20 teams. And his knowledge made you think he saw them play every game. He was an incredible wordsmith and could craft a lead that made you want to read it, whether it was a 30-29 game or a 54-0 blowout. Very few people on BGP know how much behind the scenes work he did, whether it was helping with the football and basketball rankings or writing previews. It's still a stunning loss four days later.

I was fortunate enough to get to go to the visitation Wednesday night. I got there 15 minutes after it started and stood in line for well over an hour. That probably tells you a great deal about how loved and respected Joey was in western Kentucky. It was an honor to call him my friend and I'm going to miss him tremendously.