westsider has passed away

Oldbird

I was fortunate enough to get to go to the visitation Wednesday night. I got there 15 minutes after it started and stood in line for well over an hour. That probably tells you a great deal about how loved and respected Joey was in western Kentucky. It was an honor to call him my friend and I'm going to miss him tremendously.

I heard his Mom was overwhelmed by the amount of people and what they had to say about him.

1st region will not be the same without him.

Wow, what a shock to see this. My deepest condolences to Joey’s family and friends. After joining BGP as a fan of Fort Campbell Westsider schooled me real quickly on a few of my facts and I came to have great respect for his opinion and posts. RIP Joey, you will be sorely missed.

As you all might guess, Joey and I were dating. "toothpick" told me about this site. I am so thankful to be able to read your comments. It's really overwhelming and makes me miss him all the more. I loved him dearly. Joey had an amazing mind but his heart was truly special, as well He was the most loving, kind and genuine man i have ever known

You all obviously understand the true gift Joey had. His writing was one of the things I loved most about him. I had a unique way to appreciate it, too. The last story he wrote was about the All Star game. I believe it's posted on this thread. I got to the second paragraph and sent him a message and reminded him a great a writer I thought he was and that his story was already "making my heart race" it was so good. His reply "you're weird" :)

Thank you all for your friendship to Joey and for the respect you gave him. Many, many of Joey's friends have reached out to me on Facebook and it has been a great comfort to me. If any of you would like to keep in touch or discuss how "fabulous" Joey was with me I am on Facebook as Denise Leath. I'd love to hear from you.

• 1 month later...

Wow....I have been waiting for football season to get on BGP....Just saw this. I am in shock. I really thought the world of him. We saw him last during the 5A State Championship at Western KY Univ. when BGHS played Cooper. It was kind of him to give PH a partial statistics sheet of the game after halftime. PH was very appreciative of that kindness. Toothpick and Westie both came for a visit at the game at that time. We were so excited to see them both. We both thought a lot of Westie.....Prayers to his family and friends. Wow....

• 3 months later...
Oh wow. Just happened upon this thread. Clashed with westsider so many times on the board, but always respected his opinion. Was hoping someday to meet him in person, but never got the chance. He will be missed....so glad to hear about the scholarship. - CM

The scholarship is great. We are working hard to make it a good one. Trying to have rivalry games for the admission bump to raise as much as possible.

Donations have come in as well.