IRS apologizes for targeting conservative groups

I don't DISLIKE the wealthy....but you know that skepticism conservatives have when talking about people who are on welfare? You know...that everyone is lazy and abusing the system and the system should be abolished? Walk, I feel a lot of wealthy people abuse the system, hiding assets or taking undue advantage of loopholes. Conservatives think the poor are dishonest....Liberals think the wealthy are dishonest.
Kind of a blanket statement here. I don't know many people that think the poor are dishonest, but I know a lot of abuse goes on from lazy people and that gets more attention and hurts those that are truly in need.

Just curious, do the rich Liberals think of themselves as dishonest or do they reserve that for the rich Conservatives?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the world do you put more trust in Govt than individual, private citizens?

Clamping down on tax cheats. Hot news on a cool Saturday. I guess in the eyes of some, these people are "victims" too.

Switzerland close to deal in U.S. tax dispute: finance minister

ZURICH (Reuters) - Switzerland is on the brink of a deal to settle a long-running dispute with U.S. authorities over Swiss banks accused of helping wealthy Americans evade billions of dollars of tax, the finance minister said on Saturday.

"We hope that we will shortly be at the finishing line," Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf told Swiss radio in an interview. "The banks won't get it for nothing." Widmer-Schlumpf declined to say how high fines might be, but added: "It is clear that it will not be a pleasant solution."

Bank secrecy, which has helped Switzerland become the world's largest offshore center with $2 trillion in assets, has come under fire since the financial crisis, as cash-strapped governments seek to clamp down on tax evasion.

The Swiss government has been in protracted talks to end U.S. investigations into Swiss banks, including Credit Suisse and Julius Baer, in return for expected heavy fines and a transfer of client names.

Bern said last month it was considering a possible solution to the U.S. probes, but declined to give further details as negotiations were still continuing.

A source familiar with the talks has told Reuters the two sides had agreed an outline for a deal that would divide more than 300 Swiss banks according to the extent they had helped U.S. clients hide money, to determine how they are dealt with.

The country's biggest bank UBS was forced in 2009 to pay a fine of $780 million and hand over the names of more than 4,000 clients, delivering the U.S. authorities information that allowed them to then pursue other Swiss banks ....

No you are correct about that , but making sure that the Tax laws as written about 501© 4 as pertaining toward groups seeking to attain tax exempt status are correctly followed is the IRS' job . No matter what their ideology is . It sounds as if the Tea Party groups want a free pass in this matter and that is not acceptable .

No, the Tea Party just wants not to be targeted and made to jump through hoops that no one else did. They're fine with the normal process. There is zero doubt now that they were targeted as no one is disputing it. The free pass seems to have been given to the applicants supporting the administration.

You left out Big Business. Do I trust Uncle Sam more than Corporate America? Yes. That's a no-brainer. As an aside, google billionaire Frank VanderSloot, the "victim" in BlueGrassCard's narrative of IRS bullying. The term "pyramid scheme" is found in some stories. Do you think that perhaps this is why the IRS investigated his 1040 as opposed to his Romney donations?

You must be so proud these days then.

Kind of a blanket statement here. I don't know many people that think the poor are dishonest, but I know a lot of abuse goes on from lazy people and that gets more attention and hurts those that are truly in need.

Just curious, do the rich Liberals think of themselves as dishonest or do they reserve that for the rich Conservatives?

This.

Duh. Who would you audit if you were the IRS? A billionaire or someone who drives an 11-year-old Corolla? I am continuously amazed by the limited world view of those who get their news from Fox and Friends.

But 3 in a short time when they were not finding anything? You might not be so naive if you would change the channel from MSNBC once in a while.

But 3 in a short time when they were not finding anything? You might not be so naive if you would change the channel from MSNBC once in a while.

Naive is not the word I would use, but your point is correct. When they believe in the government to take care of them more than themselves,then "all aboard" the idiot express to wherever the government wants to take them.

Chris Matthews is about the only show I watch on MSNBC. I watch far more more Fox because of the high heels and short skirts that the Foxettes wear. Roger Ailes' eye candy for the prostate-challenged.

I wonder if any big names will emerge from the Swiss hidden-assets scandal. Did Romney park any $$ in Switzerland or was he strictly Caribbean?

Chris Matthews is about the only show I watch on MSNBC. I watch far more more Fox because of the high heels and short skirts that the Foxettes wear. Roger Ailes' eye candy for the prostate-challenged.

I wonder if any big names will emerge from the Swiss hidden-assets scandal. Did Romney park any $$ in Switzerland or was he strictly Caribbean?

You have a real tough time focusing on the topic, don't you?

No, the Tea Party just wants not to be targeted and made to jump through hoops that no one else did. They're fine with the normal process. There is zero doubt now that they were targeted as no one is disputing it. The free pass seems to have been given to the applicants supporting the administration.
Baloney The Tea party members think that they are as we used to say "privileged characters " my idiot niece among them .

Baloney The Tea party members think that they are as we used to say "privileged characters " my idiot niece among them .
Disagree. I don't know your niece, but I do know some Tea Party members and they're just honest, hard working members of society that want smaller government and less taxes. I don't see anything "privileged" in that.

How can you stand to watch Tingles?

I don't DISLIKE the wealthy....but you know that skepticism conservatives have when talking about people who are on welfare? You know...that everyone is lazy and abusing the system and the system should be abolished? Walk, I feel a lot of wealthy people abuse the system, hiding assets or taking undue advantage of loopholes. Conservatives think the poor are dishonest....Liberals think the wealthy are dishonest.

Do you take advantage of the tax breaks afforded to you when filing your taxes each year? I do. Why would I not want the same rules afforded to those that are more wealthy than me?

There is much abuse of the welfare system. I wish they would police it better so those that really need the benefits can receive what they need. If we get rid of the abuse, maybe we could give the deserving more.