Vaught's Views: Why will a KHSAA task force help?

colonel-fan

Hopefully the people on the task force have a more open minded approach than Mr. Vaught takes.

Vaught's Views: Why will a KHSAA task force help?

Who cares what this very biased reporter thinks anyway. He is simply a mouthpiece for the AD at Danville, who was one of the supporters and co-authors of Proposal 20. This is probably the least objective journalist in the Commonwealth since his beloved Admirals were punished in 2004.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do not have that power. The BOC voted to send it on to the Ky BOE WITHOUT their recommendation. THat was the vote the BOC took. NOT to overturn the delegate vote.

Hate to disagree, but if you read the Constitution of the KHSAA, they DO have that power. They just haven't exercised it much, just twice in the last two years on two different issues.

The problem I have with this is why even take a vote if it doesnt matter. Thats what alot of the people I have talked with have said. It appears the KHSAA( Board) needs to be replaced, or just say to the memeber schools-" We will do what we please no matter what you vote".

Maybe Kentucky schools( that voted for prop 20) should follow the lead of the group from Flordia and pull out of the KHSAA. Wonder what would happen then?

The problem I have with this is why even take a vote if it doesnt matter. Thats what alot of the people I have talked with have said. It appears the KHSAA( Board) needs to be replaced, or just say to the memeber schools-" We will do what we please no matter what you vote".

Maybe Kentucky schools( that voted for prop 20) should follow the lead of the group from Flordia and pull out of the KHSAA. Wonder what would happen then?

Wasn't the BOC established by the KHSAA members to protect the best interest of the KHSAA as a whole? No matter if you agree or disagree with their position on Prop 20, isn't trying to protect the KHSAA their duty?

If the BOC thinks Prop 20 will bankrupt or dissolve the KHSAA, then aren't they doing what they are suppossed to do?

In other words, even of the BOC "liked" some or all of the ideas of Prop 20 but thought it would bankrupt or dissolve the KHSAA, they should not endorse it in my opinion.

Wasn't the BOC established by the KHSAA members to protect the best interest of the KHSAA as a whole? No matter if you agree or disagree with their position on Prop 20, isn't trying to protect the KHSAA their duty?

If the BOC thinks Prop 20 will bankrupt or dissolve the KHSAA, then aren't they doing what they are suppossed to do?

In other words, even of the BOC "liked" some or all of the ideas of Prop 20 but thought it would bankrupt or dissolve the KHSAA, they should not endorse it in my opinion.

:thumb:

I can tell you guys one thing, if you think the majority of the people and coaches are against prop 20 you are badly fooled. If the KHSAA lets this slide( the vote by member schools) this will not go away,whether anyone of you like it or not.

I will say this again, I dont know exactly where I stand personally on this. I do know that there is a problem. Do I want to see different state champoinships? No. What is the solution? I wish I knew.

I can tell you guys one thing, if you think the majority of the people and coaches are against prop 20 you are badly fooled. If the KHSAA lets this slide( the vote by member schools) this will not go away,whether anyone of you like it or not.

I will say this again, I dont know exactly where I stand personally on this. I do know that there is a problem. Do I want to see different state champoinships? No. What is the solution? I wish I knew.

No one said the majority of coaches etc. isn't for Prop 20. That was clear by the vote. But ideas like leaving the KHSAA if Prop 20 isn't enacted don't solve anything (would you like to see basically all of NKY which voted against Prop 20 leave the KHSAA if Prop 20 was enacted?), writing articles that say there is no use meeting doesn't solve anything, and enacting separate championships which would be economically and logistically impossible doesn't solve anything.

What solves things is sitting down and addressing the issues and coming up with solutions to the issues. Hopefully that is what is being attempted next week.

Let me tell you what I have heard discussed.

1. Disband the current KHSAA board as we know it and totally redo it with other members if they choose not to follow the vote.( Public school members)

2. Disband the current KHSAA board as we know it and totally redo it with other members. ( Private schools that are not happy with the current status of the KHSAA)

This is a behind the scenes talk that is going on in/around Lexington, including the Private schools in that area. Believe it or not, Lexington Catholic is not happy with the current board. And would you be if you just got fined like they did and then recieve a MERRY CHRISTMAS card from the KHSAA?

While I have a lot of respect for LV, his position on this issue is assinine. I'm quite certain the BOC would support a compromise position reached by this committee as long as the BOC felt the compromise was in the best interest of the KHSAA and high school athletics (which under the KHSAA Constitution that was approved by all high schools years ago, is the charge and fiduciary duty of the BOC).

Trying to find a compromise is the point of the whole committee. If I interpret LV's article correctly, he's saying because the BOC voted not to recommend adoption of Prop 20, the BOC will never again ever vote to recommend adoption of a position reached by the school delegates, so there is no reason for the compromise task force to even waste their time meeting next week. LV's position is not only assinine, but kind of childish. Contrary to what some head coaches, principals and superintendents may think, while the BOC may be elected by the schools (well at least 14 of the 18), the BOC's boss is actually the State Board of Education, not the schools. The BOC has a obligation to act in the best interest of the high school sports and if it thinks the desires of the delegates are not in the best interest of high schools sports, not only should the BOC make its feelings known to the State Board of Education, it absolutely MUST do so and if that results in one or more BOC members not getting re elected by the schools, so be it.

Just as it is the duty of parents to overrule poor decisions made by their children, it is the duty of the B of C to do the same in regard to its reactionary membership.

Having said this, I believe that the B of C should be made up of one member elected from each of the sixteen basketball regions in the Commonwealth. At large members should be eliminated completely. This would allow each region to feel that it has real representation. If the representative is poor or seems to be an advocate for his/her individual school (as some do), he/ she can be voted out. No political at largers.

Just as it is the duty of parents to overrule poor decisions made by their children, it is the duty of the B of C to do the same in regard to its reactionary membership.

Having said this, I believe that the B of C should be made up of one member elected from each of the sixteen basketball regions in the Commonwealth. At large members should be eliminated completely. This would allow each region to feel that it has real representation. If the representative is poor or seems to be an advocate for his/her individual school (as some do), he/ she can be voted out. No political at largers.

Only one problem Scooter Bob---- that would be too fair, and not serve any special interests.

Smokeandmirrors, my friend, a fair, evenly distributed, and unbiased B of C would promote trust and a feeling of fairplay and ridding the B of C of at large members would be a good start toward that goal. I'm sure we will never see a representative from each region because, as you said, it would actually be fair to all. I know of one B of C at large member who is on the school board of a local school system, very close to the high school's athletic program, and rather blatant in her support for whatever is seen as advantageous to her school. Does she go to bat for other schools or show any interest in the concerns of other schools? Only if it benefits her personal favorite. There is no excuse for such conduct. No school should have its own internal lobbyist.

Wasn't it only a few years ago that the private schools were lobbying hard and I believe the delegate assembly voted on a special 1 or 2 representatives on the BOC especially just for the private schools. I believe the complaints were their reps were not getting voted on the BOC because they were in the minority and felt they needed special treatment to get representation on the BOC.