Vaught's Views: Why will a KHSAA task force help?

colonel-fan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If G.W. Bush vetoed a piece of legislation that was so overwhelmingly passed by the Congress as Prop 20 was by the delegate assembly, how much would he be villianified?

I think this is his point. The elected representatives of the Board of Control did not give much credence to the overwhelming voice of the delegates. Their concerns were not considered then, why should they expect them to be considered now.

I would hope that would not be true but I can understand how someone could come to that point of view.

I read it as Mr. Vaught saying that since the Delegate Assembly voted in favor for the split, only to have the Board of Control reject that vote, they really don't have an incentive to work towards a compromise.

This is the part that stands out to me:

Get real. If the KHSAA Board of Control went against the vote of its member schools before, why will this be any different? Why should a school official in favor of the split waste his time at this task force meeting knowing that the majority does not rule at the KHSAA, as many had previously believed?

Obviously the Board of Control has the authority to overturn a Delgate Assembly vote, or they could not have done so. Why does this come as such a shock that they might actually exercise this right? Maybe in their collective wisdom, they believe that we are all better off together than separate?

I read it as Mr. Vaught saying that since the Delegate Assembly voted in favor for the split, only to have the Board of Control reject that vote, they really don't have an incentive to work towards a compromise.

This is the part that stands out to me:

Get real. If the KHSAA Board of Control went against the vote of its member schools before, why will this be any different? Why should a school official in favor of the split waste his time at this task force meeting knowing that the majority does not rule at the KHSAA, as many had previously believed?

Obviously the Board of Control has the authority to overturn a Delgate Assembly vote, or they could not have done so. Why does this come as such a shock that they might actually exercise this right? Maybe in their collective wisdom, they believe that we are all better off together than separate?

They do not have that power. The BOC voted to send it on to the Ky BOE WITHOUT their recommendation. THat was the vote the BOC took. NOT to overturn the delegate vote.

They do not have that power. The BOC voted to send it on to the Ky BOE WITHOUT their recommendation. THat was the vote the BOC took. NOT to overturn the delegate vote.

:thumb:

So the BOE sided witht he BOC on the issue. Thanks for the clarification.

:thumb:

So the BOE sided witht he BOC on the issue. Thanks for the clarification.

Not yet.

The BOE said, KHSAA you DON'T want us to make the decision cause you might not like the decision. Go back and settle it yourself. We expect that settlement by February 2-3 meeting or we will look to settle it.

Not yet.

The BOE said, KHSAA you DON'T want us to make the decision cause you might not like the decision. Go back and settle it yourself. We expect that settlement by February 2-3 meeting or we will look to settle it.

If that's the case, than Vaught is right. What is the point of compromise for the Prop 20 proponents? What can the BOE decide that would be worse than the current setup?

If G.W. Bush vetoed a piece of legislation that was so overwhelmingly passed by the Congress as Prop 20 was by the delegate assembly, how much would he be villianified?

It takes courage to tell a majority "you're wrong". At least that is what I hear on the TV a lot.

Or...

If all of your friends jump off the cliff, would you?

ETC...

I think this is his point. The elected representatives of the Board of Control did not give much credence to the overwhelming voice of the delegates. Their concerns were not considered then, why should they expect them to be considered now.

I would hope that would not be true but I can understand how someone could come to that point of view.

I'm sure Bush would veto any bill that would segregate students.

So you are against the class system in football that segrates students. You want your school, CovCath I believe, to compete against St. X and Trinity.

School is Holy Cross. School size is different than the type of school you attend. Enrollment is a statistic, seperating due to someone attending a faith based school or a private school in general is seperating based on a persons wanting a different type of education. Which is different to me.

You try and compare this in every thread and its not similar

Also Holy Cross already competes in every sports outside of Football,Cross Country and Track with schools 4 times their size and fairs well.

School is Holy Cross. School size is different than the type of school you attend. Enrollment is a statistic, seperating due to someone attending a faith based school or a private school in general is seperating based on a persons wanting a different type of education. Which is different to me.

You try and compare this in every thread and its not similar

Also Holy Cross already competes in every sports outside of Football,Cross Country and Track with schools 4 times their size and fairs well.

I started typing Holy Cross and then changed my mind. Should have went with my first instinct.

I agree Holy Cross does well and they deserve accolades for their success. I do not begrudge their success at all.

My point has consistently been, I do not believe rural counties CANNOT compete on a year in and year out basis with private schools or large rural schools. Can they have runs? Most definitely yes. But I do not think it can be sustained over periods of time, meaning as classes move on.

I do also think there is a financial discrimination that occurs in the process. If not, please correct me on this. Not all but what I am reading from the private school BGP posters, financial aid is determined for a student but there is STILL a cost that they have to pay, most times around 50%. A good percentage of the families I deal with could not come CLOSE to being able to afford a couple thousand dollars or more. Private school is not an option for them. (Let me quickly add, I am a HUGE proponent of school vouchers but that is another entirely different thread.)

I do not believe private schools are open financially to all.

I do also think there is a financial discrimination that occurs in the process. If not, please correct me on this. Not all but what I am reading from the private school BGP posters, financial aid is determined for a student but there is STILL a cost that they have to pay, most times around 50%. A good percentage of the families I deal with could not come CLOSE to being able to afford a couple thousand dollars or more. Private school is not an option for them. (Let me quickly add, I am a HUGE proponent of school vouchers but that is another entirely different thread.)

I do not believe private schools are open financially to all.

Actually only very few students receive as much as 50% so even in the lower cost private schools one would still have to come up with about $2500 at the least per year. Of course, that goes for every student in the family if there are siblings within 4 years of age in school at the same time.

Many private students have to work and pay some of their tuition. Many parents work extra jobs in order to raise money for tuition. Even with that, you are probably correct in that private schools are not financially open to all. Many families (especially with multiple children in high school at the same time) may wish to attend a private school but simply cannot afford to do so.