Happy Osborne is New Head Coach at Montgomery County

Any concerns about him bolting for another job after a year? Or is this his swan song?

Good hire.

But someone tell me why he leaves Georgetown then heads south to coach in TN. Then decides he wants to coach high school basketball? Am I missing something?

Thus, my question.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good hire.

But someone tell me why he leaves Georgetown then heads south to coach in TN. Then decides he wants to coach high school basketball? Am I missing something?

He left Georgetown because the rumor was that they were going NCAA Div. III. He knew he would not be able to recruit or keep the same kind of athletes on his team if they were playing D-3, so he left for a Div. 1 Asst. position. I think that step makes sense if you look at it. As far as him coming back to HS to coach, I bet he had a really hard time adjusting to being an assistant coach. He had been a head coach for what almost 20 years at Georgetown? Once a head coach it is hard to sit back and just make suggestions while someone else makes the decisions. I am a little surprised he came back to the HS ranks. However, after hearing what his salary and benefits and job responsibilities, it makes sense. Happy is a good guy, i just hope he can make the adjustment from dealing with 22 year old men to 14 year old freshman that can't play and their parents.

He left Georgetown because the rumor was that they were going NCAA Div. III. He knew he would not be able to recruit or keep the same kind of athletes on his team if they were playing D-3, so he left for a Div. 1 Asst. position. I think that step makes sense if you look at it. As far as him coming back to HS to coach, I bet he had a really hard time adjusting to being an assistant coach. He had been a head coach for what almost 20 years at Georgetown? Once a head coach it is hard to sit back and just make suggestions while someone else makes the decisions. I am a little surprised he came back to the HS ranks. However, after hearing what his salary and benefits and job responsibilities, it makes sense. Happy is a good guy, i just hope he can make the adjustment from dealing with 22 year old men to 14 year old freshman that can't play and their parents.

What hook up did he get in regard to position/job responsibilities?

I think people are digging too much to try and explain why he went back to a high school. Could it not be that he has thought about it before he even left Georgetown? Was waiting for the "right job"? Why did he leave Georgetown? Maybe after 15 years he was tired of the recruiting, Who knows! I do know I heard, I think even on here, that in a few years the college would possibly close. Maybe his 1 year as an assistant was just to do something until the right high school job came open.

No use in guessing, the fact is, he is now at Montgomery County.

This decision puzzles me. If he was going after a job I would have thought it would have been the Morehead State position. I remember a few years ago when the EKU job came open that Happy was interested in that job, so I would assume he would be as interested in MSU too.

Unless Montgomery County is paying him a hefty sum, I can't understand why he is going into the high school ranks.

This decision puzzles me. If he was going after a job I would have thought it would have been the Morehead State position. I remember a few years ago when the EKU job came open that Happy was interested in that job, so I would assume he would be as interested in MSU too.

Unless Montgomery County is paying him a hefty sum, I can't understand why he is going into the high school ranks.

The hefty sum we can all assume he is getting would have to come from the teacher/administrator or whatever position. The coaching stipend would have to be the same for the boys and girls because of Title IX. The boosters can't go out and raise money to pay him extra to coach because I am pretty sure that violates the Title IX rules also.

The hefty sum we can all assume he is getting would have to come from the teacher/administrator or whatever position. The coaching stipend would have to be the same for the boys and girls because of Title IX. The boosters can't go out and raise money to pay him extra to coach because I am pretty sure that violates the Title IX rules also.

That is correct.

Can somebody give me a Happy bio?

Here is what I could find:

A native of Lynch, Ky., Osborne began his tenure at Georgetown as an assistant coach in 1980, serving for 14 years before being promoted to the head position in 1996. In his 15 years as head coach, Osborne has been named the Mid-South Conference Coach of the Year six times, won nine of the last 12 MSC titles, and posted at least 25 wins each season. He holds the distinction of being the fastest coach at any college basketball level to post 100 career wins. He holds the same distinction among coaches who have won 400 games.

He played high school basketball at Lynch High School, where his father was the school superintendent before going on to serve as a student assistant at both Pikeville College and Morehead State.

He is married to Bobbi Osborne and the couple has one daughter.

Tennessee Tech Athletics: Happy Osborne