McQuery to Coach Saturday per ESPN - NOT

HT721

If a cover-up did indeed happen I hope they get the maximum possible.

What about evidence tampering?

Broadly that would be obstruction of justice. When I say Obstruction of Justice I kind of include evidence tampering in my definition of it, though it is a separate crime most places.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wile theory, McQuery was offered a job on the staff permanently from GA spot to keep his mouth shut. At this point nothing would surprise me, so why not.

Between all that has come out, I believe this is a sound theory. Regardless, the answer to this should be out soon.

I believe he erred when he did not confront Sandusky. It didn't have to be some sort of beating, just walk in and announce your presence and tell him he had better stop. Trust me, I think he would have stopped and this whole mess would have had a better outcome all around.

This is true. Its a completely messed up situation. Its sickening.

I believe he erred when he did not confront Sandusky. It didn't have to be some sort of beating, just walk in and announce your presence and tell him he had better stop. Trust me, I think he would have stopped and this whole mess would have had a better outcome all around.

I agree and I can say I would have done this or that in his situation, but I have no idea what I would have done in his situation. I would like to think I would have been involved in a fist fight about 3 seconds after witnessing it. I can't say that for certain though. He was terrified and mortified. He called his Dad for advice which probably is the next best thing. His Dad's advice should have been to call 911. It wasn't. He told Paterno and he thought the situation would be handled. It wasn't and he dropped the ball again. If he took a promotion to be quiet he should be criminally responsible, but I don't know if that's the case. Either way he is at a lot of fault here. The main thing about him to me is why lie about this to the grand jury? We know why Paterno, the AD and the Pres would lie. McQueary has no benefit from lying. He's going to lose his job and his career and the kid never came forward. I have to believe his side of the story here because it makes the most sense and follows the path of what other witnesses and victims are saying this pervert did.

My wile theory, McQuery was offered a job on the staff permanently from GA spot to keep his mouth shut. At this point nothing would surprise me, so why not.

If you could believe that, could it not also be equally plausible that he has kept his job and is being left on board because he is the only witness that can supposedly bring down Paterno? One conspiracy theory deserves another.

^Lucky for me there is no business law on the cpa exam....:lol: He followed their policy, but that doesn't mean he can't be fired. He brought shame to the university, that's grounds enough for firing.

Depending if he has a contract and if PA is an employment at will state, they can fire him for anything. However, if they have a policy and he follows it and they fire him, he has a good case against them.

What if your policy states to follow procedures and he did? I can see him being charged by the police for not reporting a crime. I'm talking about the institution he works for. Why have policies otherwise?

This goes back to some of the oldest argument concerning human atrocity. "I was just following policy when I sent those Jewish people to the gas chamber." IMO, policy doesn't fly as an excuse.

Maybe our approach is the wrong one. Maybe what we should be advocating is for the assistant coach to resign himself. I still have a problem with the procedures part. At what point do the Paterno's and the Grad Assistants stop following up themselves and learn to live with what they know/saw?

Absolutely pressure should be brought on him to resign. I personally would be surprised if he didn't want the heck out of the spotlight. With Joe gone how many times will he be on camera Saturday?

This goes back to some of the oldest argument concerning human atrocity. "I was just following policy when I sent those Jewish people to the gas chamber." IMO, policy doesn't fly as an excuse.

Not talking what's right, just what the employment law might find as to a firing for following procedures. I'm still not sure if he is criminally at risk. I guess not since the statute of limitations has probably passed. And let's be clear, your example would be more closely towards the townspeople who knew what was going on, not to the people actually sending them to the gas chambers.

Bill Plashke was on the Herd earlier and made an interesting point. He was not on the anti-McQuery bandwagon as most because going to Joe Paterno - which he did - is like going to God at Happy Valley. He is as high of a ranking official as you get with that University. Not saying I agree with Plashke, but if there is a person in all of this you would exonerate on the simple grounds of "following procedure", it would be the GA. The AD is a former Paterno QB that adores his former coach. I really think people are dismissing Paterno's stature with the PSU institution.

Also disturbing was that after Sandusky's keys were relinquished he then conducted his youth camps at other PSU satellite locations.

Not talking what's right, just what the employment law might find as to a firing for following procedures. I'm still not sure if he is criminally at risk. I guess not since the statute of limitations has probably passed. And let's be clear, your example would be more closely towards the townspeople who knew what was going on, not to the people actually sending them to the gas chambers.
I would be willing to bet PSU is willing to take on and even lose any lawsuit over wrongful termination to Paterno because he knowingly knew on some level what had taken place yet never gave Sandusky to the authorities, fired him, etc. You cannot keep that cloud over your head despite what protocol may be. The children in all of this were Willie Santiago from A Few Good Men.

I would be willing to bet PSU is willing to take on and even lose any lawsuit over wrongful termination to Paterno because he knowingly knew on some level what had taken place yet never gave Sandusky to the authorities, fired him, etc. You cannot keep that cloud over your head despite what protocol may be. The children in all of this were Willie Santiago from A Few Good Men.

I agree, if a lawsuit even happens depending on what is still pending to come out that has not yet. If one ever does, I believe that you make a good point.

Depending if he has a contract and if PA is an employment at will state, they can fire him for anything. However, if they have a policy and he follows it and they fire him, he has a good case against them.

Last I checked, Pennsylvania is a closed shop state. However, wouldn't it depend on whether he was a standard versus contract employee?

I’m sure whatever McQuery might receive in a lawsuit for being fired will be minor compared to what the victims will probably get for PSUs handling of the situation. Fire McQuery and all others with any knowledge of what occurred, period. Oh, and they might want to change their policy while they are at it.

On what grounds? Following the procedures you have put into place for reporting?

On the grounds of: he was a 28-year old man who witnessed violent sexual abuse of a child and rather than doing anything about it, he left.

You don't follow the "procedures you have put into place" when you see an adult man sexually abusing a child. You do what's right.

What he should've done was beat Sandusky to within an inch of his life, then called the police after he secured the child.