wailupebob

Who wins?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1966? I was there. It is one of my favorite Trinity - X games and a good reason for Trinity fans not to get too confident. I believe that the Litratings had X as about a thirty point favorite in that game. It as an 18-7 Trinity win.

Yeah I remember that one. Johnny Meihaus and Paul "Ears" Young weren't too happy that next week at practice. Started a run of three straight "X" wins. In '67 Steve Ising returned the second half kickoff for a TD that broke open a tight game into a 34-12 Tiger win at Manual Stadium. The next year Ron Steele intercepted a pitchout intended for Alan Hennessey and returned it for the winning TD in the last minute of a 19-12 Tigers win over Trinity's first State Championship team. This was the first game in the series played at the Fairgrounds and the crowd was close to 20,0000. The following year St. X defeated Trinity 12-6 on their way to an unbeaten season. This team ranks near the top of the Tigers' all time best teams. They hold the significance of never trailing an opponent the entire season. Not many teams can make that claim. These games became the foundation for the series as it has evolved today as it became the game everyone planned to see in the Louisville area for years to come. There were a lot of great players on both teams in these days!

TAYou have a great memory - and your are correct Sir. The game was played at Atherton (can you believe that) - X was the Home team - on the Press Box side....and I as I further (hopefully correctly) recall the jubliant Rocks "Walked back to T" after.:D

And

RocketThank you as well for the History lesson and the background which pulls all of today into focus. Great job.

:thumb:

No doubt T is a big favorite and they should be and should win with ease but I have seen some crazy things happen is this series and some teams win that had no business even being on the same field. If the St.X Tigers could pull off the win Friday night it could be considered the biggest upset of all times in the history of this game! Go Tigers leave it all on the field play your hearts out and mistake free football and let the chips fall where they may.

TAYou have a great memory - and your are correct Sir. The game was played at Atherton (can you believe that) - X was the Home team - on the Press Box side....and I as I further (hopefully correctly) recall the jubliant Rocks "Walked back to T" after.:D

And

RocketThank you as well for the History lesson and the background which pulls all of today into focus. Great job.

:lol: That was a bit of a walk for the Rocks. Of course, Atherton was a pretty good neutral spot. I'd estimate it's very close to the same distance between X & T.

:lol: That was a bit of a walk for the Rocks. Of course, Atherton was a pretty good neutral spot. I'd estimate it's very close to the same distance between X & T.

That was Jim Kennedy's first year coaching T. They had about 36 players on the team. Many players quit because he was too tough, they thought. He won the State two years later.

That was Jim Kennedy's first year coaching T. They had about 36 players on the team. Many players quit because he was too tough, they thought. He won the State two years later.

Interesting stuff. I just saw him a few minutes ago at the luncheon. Sat a table over from me. Was cool to hear Alan Hennessey speak about him as well.

And

I walked in that victory walk back to Trinity. Fr. Paul Davin had said prior to the game that he would walk all the way back to St.Matthews if the ROCKS won. Fr. Davin led the march. Lots of the ROCK faithful followed. That was a fun time. "GO ROCKS"

Interesting stuff. I just saw him a few minutes ago at the luncheon. Sat a table over from me. Was cool to hear Alan Hennessey speak about him as well.

Jim Kennedy was a class individual. He was a great Coach and motivator. You wanted to 'go thru walls" for the man. He looks great for 83 (I believe someone said.) It was well worth the price of admission today just to see and be able to chat with him. Both speakers did well - thought Mr. Wolford did an exceptional job. Entertaining but would have liked to have heard from both HC's.

I will be with Alan on Friday night along with many of our Class of 1969 brothers. We are gathering at Papa Johns to celebrate our first state championship, and all of our 60th birthdays this year. We won't celebrate our 60th birthdays as much as the title. :lol:

I know on paper this is a no brainer with T's sick schedule and the fact that they are cruising through possibly the toughest schedule in America.

But I must ask the question,

Is this not a rival game similar to Highlands / CovCath?

I mean, on paper Highlands was suppose to beat CCH by 4 TDS. And I know Highlands is not T this yr either.... I get that, but

I always say throw the records out the window because when these games come about sometimes the a team that doesnt seem very good on paper or the history of the rivalry when talking Wins and Losses takes a very unexpected and sickening turn for the worst.

What am I doing.................

Not going to be the case here so I will go with T in an absolute emotional blowout 49-7. They will then be my favorite to be named National Champions. JMO