bjaynes

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I saw the name on this thread, I thought it had something to do with the anticipated heat index for tonight's games! Maybe somebody can build a dome with a consistent inside temp of 70 degrees! Now that would be a "cool stadium"!

Ryle needs more stands!!! Way too many children running around on the hills on the end zone end and near the field house. Plus it gets too packed up near the restroom and consession area. But all in all its a very nice place to play football on a friday night with the farm land and open space around the stadium. If Ryle added more seating it could be one of the best places to play in the state with the new field and all.

Mistake to have the restroom, concessions, and entrance/exit all at the same location. It just gets too darn crowded in that area.

Are Ryle and Holmes are the only two fields in NKY in which you walk in from the top and the field sits down in a bowl? Gives it a nice "stadium" feel. Ryle's field looks awesome when you fly over it.

When these type of categories come up people tend to get very nostalgic. While some have cool, old features about them like a Russellville, Murray, or Mayfield, these places normally are dumps that would not pass today's building codes. The Stadium of Champions in Hopkinsville is pretty cool, imo.

Mistake to have the restroom, concessions, and entrance/exit all at the same location. It just gets too darn crowded in that area.

Are Ryle and Holmes are the only two fields in NKY in which you walk in from the top and the field sits down in a bowl? Gives it a nice "stadium" feel. Ryle's field looks awesome when you fly over it.

Beechwood also has the "bowl" style field.

For character, I think Dayton's stadium is the best. The old WPA built stands, stone concession/locker rooms and ticket window. It could use some upgrading but it is a cool old stadium.

I haven't been to the nicer stadiums up north, but my favorite in the western half of the state is the Stadium of Champions BY FAR. Always has been.

I do like Rhea Stadium in Russellville. Both because of its age and its quirks. The right end zone doesn't have enough room, so the back corner runs up an incline.

I like Rhea Stadium because of its age too.

Cooper, you enter from the top.

I don't doubt that Dayton and Bellevue were cool at one time, but I think nowdays they're approaching the lines of being more dumpy....especially Dayton. I don't mean it as a dig or anything, they just seem like the stadiums have gotten to the point that the last 75 years have really beaten them up.

I'd have to agree with folks mentioning David Cecil Memorial and Beechwood.

Have you even made it to the western part of the state? There are some pretty neat stadiums down here also. A few that come to mind are at Mayfields War Memorial Stadium. I think it was built during the works programs of the depression, it is old and neat on Friday Nights. Two others that are newer but neat are the Stadium of Champions, where Hopkinsville and Christian Co. play, and Paducah Tilghman's stadium. If you are ever down this way you should check them out!

I haven't made it out there much. I did go to Warren Central once but that's about it. I usually make a trip during Garrard's off week to a different stadium for me and then I try to go to playoff games at stadiums I've never been to. That's added to the list, but most have been in eastern, central, and northern Kentucky. But I've got several western stadiums on my list.