Little known trivia that is interesting

Dlbdonn

In light of the earlier references to The Monkees — loved the TV show, by the way — they were at the top of the bill for one of the oddest musical pairings in history when in 1967 they toured with Jimi Hendrix opening for them.

Michael Nesmith actually had some musical talent prior to the Monkees gig, and is a well-respected roots-rock songwriter.

His mother invented Liquid Paper.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first commercial (non-government) computer installation was at GE Appliance Park in 1954.

First-Hand:The First Commercial Computer Application at General Electric - GHN: IEEE Global History Network

The first sale of the Univac I was to the US Census Bureau in 1953 to help process the 1950 census data. The first commercial sale of the Univac I was to General Electric in 1954 to use in its brand new Major Appliance Division plant in Louisville, Kentucky. GE had designed this state of the art factory with the most modern manufacturing facilities to produce washers and dryers, dishwashers and disposers, refrigerators and freezers and electric ovens and ranges. As part of its plan to automate its production facilities and make Louisville a showcase location, GE decided to use a computer not only to process payrolls and other accounting applications but also to consider using the Univac I for manufacturing control and planning functions.

https://wiki.cc.gatech.edu/folklore/index.php/UNIVAC_1:_The_First_Mass-Produced_Computer

In 1953, General Electric became the first non-government entity to order a UNIVAC I, receiving the eighth one built. The seventh had been installed at the Remington Rand sales office in New York City. In those days when a suburban house could be bought for $5000, purchase of a $1 million computer was not a decision to take lightly. General Electric hired the consulting firm Arthur Andersen to do a feasibility study and analysis. The study took from April to July of 1953 and recommended the UNIVAC I over a prototype of the IBM 702 computer. In the area of punched card tabulating equipment, IBM had the upper hand over Remington Rand, and many people looked on Remington Rand with scorn. John Swearingen of GE remembered that when his boss Roddy Osborn accepted the Arthur Andersen recommendation there was uproar. People asked: "How could you go with that outfit? How did you not pick IBM?" IBM pressured GE's top management to reverse the decision, but management supported ! Osborn, and Remington Rand began installing the UNIVAC at GE's appliance factory in Louisville in January 1954.

Kentucky is the birthplace of commercial computing.