Track The NL Central Champion Reds (Week 13)

LRCW

I've always abhorred the idea that certain pitchers have to work the 7th, 8th and 9th innings based on "their role" in the bullpen. As far as I'm concerned, your job is to pitch when you're called to pitch.

Amen, brother!

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you want about Theo Epstein's merry band of stat geeks and number crunchers but the teams like the Red Sox, that stay ahead of the curve and think outside of traditional mindsets are experiencing a huge amount of success.

....and the monster payroll doesn't hurt.

Maybe you and I should volunteer to help the "toothpick" with a few ideas, but afterall we are just a couple of of Bluegrass posters with "dumb" ideas.

I'm sure that Dusty has forgotten more about baseball than we know, but I'm not a fan of him at all.

On a side note some people talk bad about his looking at the numbers, but that doesn't bother me. I wonder what info Jocketty and the Reds look at as far as metrics.

It allows them to overcome mistakes in judgement or injuries, but it isn't their fault they can spend more money than others. If MLB ever wants to regain fans in small markets they need a real salary cap.

No, but the Mets, Cubs and Dodgers have all outspent them over the last few years without nearly the success. They have the smallest park in the majors to deal with but they have overcome that by continuing to improve/remodel it and market their team. They play to over 100% capacity each night. If the Reds, among others, could do better with their attendence they could increase payroll as well. Besides, a huge part of their roster is homegrown or acquired via trade.

I'm sure that Dusty has forgotten more about baseball than we know, but I'm not a fan of him at all.

On a side note some people talk bad about his looking at the numbers, but that doesn't bother me. I wonder what info Jocketty and the Reds look at as far as metrics.

Sometimes I think he has too much knowledge to deal with. Just because a player did well against a pitcher the last 2 years doesn't mean that he will do well on any given night. There is a lot more to take into account like how the player is swinging the bat and how well the pitcher is throwing lately. Like they say in the financial industry past history is no guarantee of returns today. Things change over time. I would rather know how my batter or pitcher is performing present time than what he has done historically and the same goes for the opponent. You would think he knows his own team and would just study the opponent.

Sometimes I think he has too much knowledge to deal with. Just because a player did well against a pitcher the last 2 years doesn't mean that he will do well on any given night. There is a lot more to take into account like how the player is swinging the bat and how well the pitcher is throwing lately. Like they say in the financial industry past history is no guarantee of returns today. Things change over time. I would rather know how my batter or pitcher is performing present time than what he has done historically and the same goes for the opponent. You would think he knows his own team and would just study the opponent.

I agree with you. You would think Renteria wouldn't be used at all with other options to pinch hit. Some of his moves baffle me, but to some people he gets a pass b/c the Reds had a good year last year. I don't get those people.

I guess they have to empty the stadium after the first game?? How does this work? My daughter had tickets for last night. These tickets are now good for tonight??

Thanks

Yep. The day game is today's scheduled game. After it's done, stadium emptys and tonight is last nights makeup game.

Yep. The day game is today's scheduled game. After it's done, stadium emptys and tonight is last nights makeup game.

CINCINNATI - Tonight’s game with the New York Yankees has been postponed due to the forecast of steady rain throughout the evening, the unplayable condition of the field and the safety of the players, umpires and fans.

The game has been rescheduled for tomorrow as part of a day/night doubleheader.

Tomorrow's afternoon game will begin as scheduled at 12:35 p.m. ET. After the conclusion of that game, the ballpark will be cleared, and the gates will reopen at 5:40 for the 7:10 p.m. nightcap.

Mike Leake will face Freddy Garcia in the afternoon game, while Johnny Cueto will oppose Brian Gordon in the 7:10 p.m. start.

Fans holding tickets for tonight's postponed game may use the same ticket for admittance to tomorrow's 7:10 p.m. game with no exchange necessary. Bring your June 21 game ticket directly to the gate.

Fans also can exchange their June 21 tickets for any other 2011 Reds regular season home games, subject to availability and excluding the Select Cardinals series from July 15-17.

Complimentary tickets ($0.00) are not valid rain checks.

Rain checks may be exchanged at Great American Ball Park or by mail:

Rainout Ticket Exchange

P.O. Box 1976

Cincinnati, OH 45201

Fans should indicate a first or second choice of games when mailing in their tickets. Ticket exchanges received within 7 days of the game will be left at Will Call for pickup on the day of the game. Please include name, phone number and mailing address.

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz1Q0VdnNE9