Track The NL Central Champion Reds (Week 13)

LRCW

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the talk about the Reds offense and the problems they are having, there is one explanation that I am surprised I haven't seen mentioned. Maybe I missed it. Perhaps everyone is so focused on LF and SS that they can't think past those two. But let me ask everyone a question - what was cited as the key to the Reds' team and offense last year? No, it wasn't Joey Votto. The key to the team and the offense last year was Scott Rolen. With the injuries and struggles this season, I think that is the missing ingredient. If Rolen can get healthy, get productive and get in the 4 hole in the lineup I thnk it all falls together quickly for the Reds offensively regardless of what happens in LF or SS.

For all the talk about the Reds offense and the problems they are having, there is one explanation that I am surprised I haven't seen mentioned. Maybe I missed it. Perhaps everyone is so focused on LF and SS that they can't think past those two. But let me ask everyone a question - what was cited as the key to the Reds' team and offense last year? No, it wasn't Joey Votto. The key to the team and the offense last year was Scott Rolen. With the injuries and struggles this season, I think that is the missing ingredient. If Rolen can get healthy, get productive and get in the 4 hole in the lineup I thnk it all falls together quickly for the Reds offensively regardless of what happens in LF or SS.

I've seen it mentioned almost every time someone has talked about the Reds offense. Rolen is about 1,000 years old, has zero range defensively, and can't hit anything thrown over 90 mph, yet they're going to continue to run him out there because he's Scott Rolen. This team has a ton of weaknesses, the least of their concerns is the pitching. LF, SS, 3B, leadoff are the main ones. Only after they address those issues should they even consider tweaking their pitching.

I've seen it mentioned almost every time someone has talked about the Reds offense. Rolen is about 1,000 years old, has zero range defensively, and can't hit anything thrown over 90 mph, yet they're going to continue to run him out there because he's Scott Rolen. This team has a ton of weaknesses, the least of their concerns is the pitching. LF, SS, 3B, leadoff are the main ones. Only after they address those issues should they even consider tweaking their pitching.

So is the consensus among those you have heard discuss Rolen seem to be that he is done? Personally, if he is done and can't contribute this year, I think the Reds' chances of repeating as division champ are very slim. I am not saying he has to do what he did last year. But the Reds need him to be viable enough to occupy the 4 slot and not have Votto getting IBB's in every clutch situation.

So is the consensus among those you have heard discuss Rolen seem to be that he is done? Personally, if he is done and can't contribute this year, I think the Reds' chances of repeating as division champ are very slim. I am not saying he has to do what he did last year. But the Reds need him to be viable enough to occupy the 4 slot and not have Votto getting IBB's in every clutch situation.

Yes.

He's been done since the All-Star break last year IMO. They need to just cut ties with him and see if Francisco has any chance of becoming an everyday player.