Do Duke fans hate UK the way UK fans hate Duke

jericho

UK fans definitely hate Duke more than the other way, but UK just doesn't have the same type of rival as Duke/UNC. UK/UofL is big, but once a year. The SEC hasn't provided a perennial rival. Its been a variety of teams depending on who is good (UT, UF, Arkansas..)

Duke fans would be more concerned with UK fans if UNC didn't exist. That said, everyone other than Duke fans hates Duke. Add 1992 to the mix, and the battle over best team of the 90s, and UK fans hate them a little more. Nothing weird, stupid, sad or anything else about it. Just passionate fans.

Nothing wrong with this post at all.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purple Pride92, UNC guy Elbowed the UK in the Jaw on Purpose he shoild have been ejected too! I think our guy got a T but what would you do in the heat of the moment if you were intentionally fouled like that!

Go Big Blue!

Just seems to me that if UK fans would get mad about any kind of unsportsmanlike play it would be this one. Not the foot tap Laettner gave Aminu Timberlake. It was a tap. Not a grind. Not a stomp. A tap. A technical should have been given and was. And Richie Farmer made 1 of the 2 technical free throws.

Just seems to me that if UK fans would get mad about any kind of unsportsmanlike play it would be this one. Not the foot tap Laettner gave Aminu Timberlake. It was a tap. Not a grind. Not a stomp. A tap. A technical should have been given and was. And Richie Farmer made 1 of the 2 technical free throws.

That clip cracked me up on how the refs could not get who it was that the UK technical should be assessed to. I can't recall ever hearing a mic'd conversation between the coaches and the refs. Generally, I would think that's a no-no.

That clip cracked me up on how the refs could not get who it was that the UK technical should be assessed to. I can't recall ever hearing a mic'd conversation between the coaches and the refs. Generally, I would think that's a no-no.

I know. Crazy ain't it? I kept waiting to hear a typical conversation between the refs and the coaches but it was pretty tame other than the yelling. I thought it was amazing Wallace wasn't ejected. That was a deliberate elbow if I ever saw one. It's also amazing Riddick didn't go down. Heck of a chin.

I can understand why people don't like Rick Pitino ... he's an egomaniac and doesn't always treat people that can't help him very well.

But ... Kentucky fans have no reason for hating the guy for coaching at Louisville. He didn't bolt UK for Louisville ... he left to coach the Boston Celtics. It just so happened that when he was looking for another job, Louisville was the best one open.

Kentucky fans have absolutely no reason to resent Pitino, because he did exactly what he said he would do ... he put Kentucky back on top of the college basketball world.

I can understand why people don't like Rick Pitino ... he's an egomaniac and doesn't always treat people that can't help him very well.

But ... Kentucky fans have no reason for hating the guy for coaching at Louisville. He didn't bolt UK for Louisville ... he left to coach the Boston Celtics. It just so happened that when he was looking for another job, Louisville was the best one open.

Kentucky fans have absolutely no reason to resent Pitino, because he did exactly what he said he would do ... he put Kentucky back on top of the college basketball world.

I truly respect and appreciate what he did for Kentucky. On the other hand, with the UK/UL rivalry as heated as it is, it is impossible to pull for him at Louisville.

I truly respect and appreciate what he did for Kentucky. On the other hand, with the UK/UL rivalry as heated as it is, it is impossible to pull for him at Louisville.

It must not be that heated if there's as many UK fans as there are who spew venom against Duke.

I honestly don't get the hate of UK fans toward any school or coach. The one that baffles me more than any is the extreme hate displayed toward Rick Pitino and Louisville. Where would the UK program be today if it weren't for Coach Pitino? He brought the UK program back pretty much from dead, and made it a national power again. Who cares if he went to an in state rival. A lot of my friends and family say he has no class because of that move. They call him a traitor. The Cats play Louisville once a year, and the game means nothing but state bragging rights. Yet these same people thought nothing of the move of two former UK coaches who went from a SEC rival school to become a Kentucky coach (Bill Curry and Tubby Smith). I can understand UK fans not liking Christian Laettner, but why so much hate toward Duke? Coach K has always been a class act toward UK, and their fans whether he has beaten the Cats, or lost to the Cats. The only honest reason so many UK fans hate Duke so much is because they feel threatened by the Duke program being superior to the Kentucky program. All of these means very little in the grand scheme of things. Get over it, and enjoy life.
Move to Louisville.

I will add one thing. I have met MANY awesome U of L fans since I've moved to Louisville. But just like any fan base...the more of the fan base as a whole you meet---the more of their respective 18% you meet.

Edited by formerkywrestler

It's not Duke, but I found this quote in an article in the Greensboro paper today:

“It wasn’t Duke, but it was Kentucky,” Richard Hepler, a Tar Heel supporter from High Point, said of the loss. “They’re right after Duke.”

http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/03/28/article/uncs_final_four_bid_halted_by_kentucky

Don't know if it adds to the conversation but the first thing I thought of when reading this article was this thread. :thumb:

It's not Duke, but I found this quote in an article in the Greensboro paper today:

“It wasn’t Duke, but it was Kentucky,” Richard Hepler, a Tar Heel supporter from High Point, said of the loss. “They’re right after Duke.”

http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/03/28/article/uncs_final_four_bid_halted_by_kentucky

Don't know if it adds to the conversation but the first thing I thought of when reading this article was this thread. :thumb:

Considering UK and UNC have maintained a yearly series for the past couple decades, that's more understandable than the nonexistent Duke-UK "rivalry."

Plus, while there is indeed nationwide animosity toward Duke, I would argue that UK is likely pretty high on the list of "most-hated" teams across the college hoops landscape.

Kentucky and North Carolina do play annually and are also in a tug of war for some of the top accolades in the sport, like most all-time wins, so I can get where there's some rivalry there. Meanwhile Kentucky and Duke haven't played in 9 years, and only three times since the '92 region finals. There's just not enough contact there to justify anything more than the general dislike that many fans of other teams have for Duke.

BTW, I didn't realize it until just now looking it up, but the 1998 regional finals is the only time Kentucky has beaten Duke since the 1978 national championship game.

Kentucky and North Carolina do play annually and are also in a tug of war for some of the top accolades in the sport, like most all-time wins, so I can get where there's some rivalry there. Meanwhile Kentucky and Duke haven't played in 9 years, and only three times since the '92 region finals. There's just not enough contact there to justify anything more than the general dislike that many fans of other teams have for Duke.

BTW, I didn't realize it until just now looking it up, but the 1998 regional finals is the only time Kentucky has beaten Duke since the 1978 national championship game.

:thumb:

As to the dominance of Duke it's similar to pre- '80. Duke only won 1 of 5 meetings or so.

My reasons of dislike for Duke have more to do with my geography than any team rivalry. (Same for UNC) In other words, I have to live among these people and like Jim Schue can probably attest: That Ain't Easy Sometimes. :D

Considering UK and UNC have maintained a yearly series for the past couple decades, that's more understandable than the nonexistent Duke-UK "rivalry."

Plus, while there is indeed nationwide animosity toward Duke, I would argue that UK is likely pretty high on the list of "most-hated" teams across the college hoops landscape.

Most of the Tar Heels I encounter that dislike UK has more to do with the Number of wins thing than the series.

I still get amazed at the UNC athletic department. In 2002, when Duke won their 3rd NCAA title UNC sanctioned listing themselves as FOUR Time National Champion, listing the 1924 Helms Foundation Titleist. It was purely to be "one better" than Duke.

When I told them that UK didn't count those he said, "Why, cause you don't have any?"

I retorted, "No, UK has 2. If you want to count them that makes the Cats Count 9!" Remarkably the disagreement ended there. :lol: