Do Duke fans hate UK the way UK fans hate Duke

jericho

Considering UK and UNC have maintained a yearly series for the past couple decades, that's more understandable than the nonexistent Duke-UK "rivalry."

Plus, while there is indeed nationwide animosity toward Duke, I would argue that UK is likely pretty high on the list of "most-hated" teams across the college hoops landscape.

I'd love to see a poll. UK is more loved than you think. Especially now that Cal is there. Cal brings street cred and when you have rappers like Drake who loves UK/Cal and now Jay-Z is visiting the locker room you kids notice those things. LeBron James is a UK fan. TMac is tweeting support for UK the whole tourney. Add in last year's likable class and this year's success UK is likely to be one of the top 5 most liked programs nationwide.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumb:

As to the dominance of Duke it's similar to pre- '80. Duke only won 1 of 5 meetings or so.

My reasons of dislike for Duke have more to do with my geography than any team rivalry. (Same for UNC) In other words, I have to live among these people and like Jim Schue can probably attest: That Ain't Easy Sometimes. :D

I'm sure Jim would disagree that you know what it feels like because only UK fans (and every single one of them) are dumb enough to bring out such feelings.

I'd love to see a poll. UK is more loved than you think. Especially now that Cal is there. Cal brings street cred and when you have rappers like Drake who loves UK/Cal and now Jay-Z is visiting the locker room you kids notice those things. LeBron James is a UK fan. TMac is tweeting support for UK the whole tourney. Add in last year's likable class and this year's success UK is likely to be one of the top 5 most liked programs nationwide.

Honestly, do you really think they're associating themselves with UK for any reason other than the WWW/Calipari connection? And that's not what I'm talking about anyway. I'm talking about your average college basketball followers.

UK has one of the largest followings of any program, to be sure. But they also inspire a great deal of animosity, much the same way the Dallas Cowboys can both be mentioned as the most hated and most loved NFL team.

I'm sure Jim would disagree that you know what it feels like because only UK fans (and every single one of them) are dumb enough to bring out such feelings.

Sounds like you're read what you wanted to read and skipped over the rest. Your score is not good enough to advance to the next round; thanks for playing.

Honestly, do you really think they're associating themselves with UK for any reason other than the WWW/Calipari connection? And that's not what I'm talking about anyway. I'm talking about your average college basketball followers.

UK has one of the largest followings of any program, to be sure. But they also inspire a great deal of animosity, much the same way the Dallas Cowboys can both be mentioned as the most hated and most loved NFL team.

I don't deny any of that. That is why I'd love to see a nationwide poll. I am curious to see.

Sounds like you're read what you wanted to read and skipped over the rest. Your score is not good enough to advance to the next round; thanks for playing.

You can make witty, snide comments all you want, but a vast majority of your posts suggest that you view the UK fan base as a congregation of ignorant hillbillies that are to be looked down upon, and virtually anyone who supports the basketball team is lumped into this category. I wasn't referring to your stance in this thread because I actually agree with your sentiments about a good deal of UK fans having an unsubstantiated dislike for Duke. I probably should have made the comment in a thread other than this one. My apologies.

You can make witty, snide comments all you want, but a vast majority of your posts suggest that you view the UK fan base as a congregation of ignorant hillbillies that are to be looked down upon, and virtually anyone who supports the basketball team is lumped into this category. I wasn't referring to your stance in this thread because I actually agree with your sentiments about a good deal of UK fans having an unsubstantiated dislike for Duke. I probably should have made the comment in a thread other than this one. My apologies.

No, actually I split time between straight analysis and exposing the 18-percenters. I live in Kentucky, and have all my life. As a result, most of my friends are Kentucky fans, and most are quite reasonable. The 18-percenters -- the wackiest of the wacky -- are who my disdain is reserved for. If I thought the entire fan base was "a congregation of ignorant hillbillies" to be looked down upon, I wouldn't have many friends. And I have lots of them.

No, actually I split time between straight analysis and exposing the 18-percenters. I live in Kentucky, and have all my life. As a result, most of my friends are Kentucky fans, and most are quite reasonable. The 18-percenters -- the wackiest of the wacky -- are who my disdain is reserved for. If I thought the entire fan base was "a congregation of ignorant hillbillies" to be looked down upon, I wouldn't have many friends. And I have lots of them.

That's fair and I definitely agree that UK has plenty of whackos pulling for them. When you do provide analysis, I almost always agree with it. I think the exposure of the 18% is when you rub UK fans the wrong way because it may seem like it is an attack on the entire fan base, not just the unreasonable ones. What you say about them is true IMO, but I've always felt like it seems like a shot at all UK fans. I'd have to see that last part for myself to believe it.:D

That's fair and I definitely agree that UK has plenty of whackos pulling for them. When you do provide analysis, I almost always agree with it. I think the exposure of the 18% is when you rub UK fans the wrong way because it may seem like it is an attack on the entire fan base, not just the unreasonable ones. What you say about them is true IMO, but I've always felt like it seems like a shot at all UK fans. I'd have to see that last part for myself to believe it.:D

Well, if we were to get together for an adult beverage or two, you'd find that I can be a pretty likable guy, despite my sometimes confrontational style ... :D

Well, if we were to get together for an adult beverage or two, you'd find that I can be a pretty likable guy, despite my sometimes confrontational style ... :D

I'd be happy to take you up on that offer, but it might have to wait about 2 years.:lol: Who am I kidding that hasn't exactly stopped me before!

I don't know if Duke fans hate UK as much or not but I do know that when Duke loses my facebook lights up with posts about it. That happens with no other team.

No doubt. I haven't posted much since Friday on Facebook because people are still talking about what Duke didn't do. As soon as they see me I am fresh meat now that UK is in the Final Four. To avoid verbal confrontations that may involve hurt feelings I say nothing. The folks I talk junk back and forth is cool but I never posted on anyone's wall when UK lost last year. I never openly enjoyed the fact that the whole state was sad and shocked at that loss. When Duke lost their games this year people who never talk to me had a lot to say all of a sudden. That grates me. I let them lose in peace. Why can't I?:D

No doubt. I haven't posted much since Friday on Facebook because people are still talking about what Duke didn't do. As soon as they see me I am fresh meat now that UK is in the Final Four. To avoid verbal confrontations that may involve hurt feelings I say nothing. The folks I talk junk back and forth is cool but I never posted on anyone's wall when UK lost last year. I never openly enjoyed the fact that the whole state was sad and shocked at that loss. When Duke lost their games this year people who never talk to me had a lot to say all of a sudden. That grates me. I let them lose in peace. Why can't I?:D

It's simple PP. You have class and are mature.