Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class 2A Final: Owensboro Catholic/Russell discussion

Who wins the 2A State Title? 200 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins the 2A State Title?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Where did I say they didn't deserve credit? I picked them to win last night!!! I think your just trying to start something....... :rolleyes:

 

 

These are both very good teams. I just give the nod to Catholic. I just see them as the most balanced all around team that Catholic has had in all the years I have been watching them. You act like Im giving your team no respect just because I picked Catholic to win......

 

 

I owe you an apology aces03. I mistook aces62's post for yours, it was his post that were doing the trash talking, and not yours. Please accept my apologies.

  • Replies 336
  • Views 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No question Im rooting for our local team & Coach McGlone. Wish I could be there to add some maroon to their side.

 

That said, I think on paper most impartial folks will pick the OC due to several advantages (some which which may be discussed on another thread). However, we've all seen teams which are destined to win and perhaps aren't as good as some of their other teams (say last years Russell team?).

 

Russell has done or had occur what EVERY champion does - just what it takes to win it. Also, quite often the toughest match is before the final - Russell is definitely tested (it seems).

 

What if .......

Coach McGlone announces his retirement to the team and they send him out as he deserves :D

 

What if .......

Coach McGlone announces his retirement to the team and they send him out as he deserves :D

Thats a pretty big what if.

 

Also not likely.

How do you think playing on turf will effect the Red Devils? I don't think these players have ever played on turf. I could be wrong. Has O.C. played on turf?

How do you think playing on turf will effect the Red Devils? I don't think these players have ever played on turf. I could be wrong. Has O.C. played on turf?

I know O.C. played there last year on the turf for the state title. I would venture to think that Russell and O.C. will both get a couple days of practice on the turf before the big game next week.

It shouldn't be much different, just make you a little quicker

How do you think playing on turf will effect the Red Devils? I don't think these players have ever played on turf. I could be wrong. Has O.C. played on turf?

 

Our local College has a turf field. It will also be our new home next year.

Owensboro Catholic for sure, Belfry is not as stong as they once were, nor is the Eastern side of the state at all for that matter, for Owensboro Catholic to even come out of that side of the state laden with D-1 talent like it usually is speaks volumes for a team replacing a division 1 quarterback in Barnard. Russell always has a pretty good defense, but from playing against this offense one year ago, I don't think they're fast enough to handle how many angles Owesnboro Catholic can attack you from....inside screens, WR screens, crossing routes, draws, and fades in NO specific order, this offense is nearly impossible to stop at the HS level, especially on turf.

 

O'cath 42

Russell 14

I was in attendence for last years 2A final, rooting for the Pirates believe or not, and I was impressed with the Aces offense. Certainly we have " not seen " YOUR offense this year but we have had some very big games in the last several years with teams that run what sounds like similar styles including Breathitt Co., Mason Co., and Flemming Co. Our coaches know how to defend this, but if your players are so much better than ours it will not matter. The hurry up/no huddle offense should not bother us.

 

Russell has run the Wing-T since McGlone came to Russell and everybody on both sides of the ball knows what is coming, but executed properly it does not matter. After nearly 30 years our execution is generally pretty good. This is no different from your hurry up spread offense which probably relies more heavily on execution.

 

I expect a great game from two worthy opponents, even though you do not. I would imagine most Ace fans are expecting a devil of a fight, especially the coaches and players.

1- notre Dame, 1- louisville,Micah Johnson ( Mr. Football s/b between hime and Burke) has not committed, - I have not hears where the other 2 will be going -

 

I do not want to take anything away from Russell or O.C. - there's only one way to get this far - and that's to earn it. Both Russell and O.C. have defeated great football programs in Belfry and Fort Campbell to get to the carpet. I think many/most expected Ft. Campbell to win it all this year - as they had an incredible amount of talent on offense and defense.

I know Belfry has a great program - we watched them run straight down our throat time after time in last years 2a championship. I think the big difference this year will be our defense - they seam to dig in and rise to the occasion when it counts - I think last night Desales was denied either 3 or 4 times inside the 10 yd line. Last year - our defense was good - this year they are great!

 

Good Luck to both teams!

 

Okay that's two Micah Johnson and Burke. Who are the other Three D-1 players? I'm sure someone from O. C. knows.

How can Russell possible compete with O.C. when they have five D-1 players on there team? I'm not absolutely sure but I don't know of any D-1 players to come out of Russell in the last five years. So how can Russell play with the big teams like O.C.?

 

I think I know. The Coaching staff at Russell take a bunch of kids that are good football players and teaches them to work as a team somewhat like Belfry. Russell has had one GREAT player come along in the last 20 years in Josh Gross. Gross is not a D-1 player who I felt should have been. Yes Jones is a D-1 player from Belfry but he is the exception and was the only one on Belfry's Championship teams.

 

So how can these two teams Russell and Belfry possible compete with O.C. who is loaded with D-1 players (5) or so they say. I think that Belfry just took it to O.C. last year with Team work and a desire to win.

 

I'm not sure how this game will come out, but I know one thing for sure Russell will leave it all out on the field win or lose and I will be there supporting them. T

I may be a Belfry fan but LETS GO RUSSELL!!!! Keep the trophy in the moutains of east Ky... Go Russell!!!

There is no way Russell has seen an offense close to what the Aces have this year.

Fleming led the state in passing and Russell handled them.

Henry and Mercer had good offenses.

Belfry has been as good as anyone

Not to mention Newport who had a super offense

I may be a Belfry fan but LETS GO RUSSELL!!!! Keep the trophy in the moutains of east Ky... Go Russell!!!

 

Then how come you voted for OC? :sssh: ;)

Then how come you voted for OC? :sssh: ;)

 

They may hope Russelll wins but believe OCath will...Like today, my heart wanted Ky to win but my head said Tennessee would...I'm not agreeing with Pirates2005, just trying to explain their possible line of thinking...

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.