Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class 2A Final: Owensboro Catholic/Russell discussion

Who wins the 2A State Title? 200 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins the 2A State Title?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

  • Author

Except for Woodall from Trigg, Catholic hasn't seen a good, multi-threat quarterback in the playoffs. I think Brown from Russell will be the best they have seen in the postseason.

  • Replies 336
  • Views 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10. West is weak
Probably stronger than the east this year.

9. Don't have Barnard this year as Q.B.
Most of the rest of the team is back ... the defense is better and the offense is still very effective.

8. Belfry not in this year - we wanted a rematch!
I think Owensboro Catholic's players will somehow make the adjustment.

7. Private v/s Public - our scholarship budget was $0 this year
Owensboro Catholic's enrollment keeps dropping ... it isn't like the school is so well-funded.

 

And ... have you seen the public schools' record against private schools in this year's playoffs?

6. Russell "wants" it more
It's the freakin' state championship ... I suspect both teams "want" it.

5. Defense is no good
Really? DeSales scored 55 points last week and just seven this week. It must not be that weak.

4. Coaching staff is weak
Wasn't John Edge the BGP Coach of the Year last season? Haven't the Aces beaten three straight ranked teams?

3. O.C. fans not as rowdy and loud as Russell's
Judging from the OCath fans on this board ...

2. Offense only capable of passing
Spread the defense out, then, and see what happens.

1. Russell is the most physical team O.C. will face this year!
Possibly, but the Aces haven't faced a bunch of lightweights either ... South Spencer, Owensboro, Apollo, Trigg County, Fort Campbell and DeSales. Probably a tougher schedule than Russell has faced.
I can elaborate with more examples if you would like, but, I just want everyone from Russell to know that the "recruiting, private, money, etc. issue" is not the case at OCHS.
Well, some in the Owensboro area might disagree. Hasn't Owensboro High made some charges in recent years?
OCath had no success running the football against Trigg County in the second round except for a couple of runs around the end by Kamuf. If Russell has a pair of 300-pounders at DT who can play, they could stop OCath up the middle. But as they showed with Trigg, if they can't stop the pass, it will be a long night.

 

I think the main reason why Trigg was successful in stopping the run was because of their defensive style (and athleticism). Trigg had a great team.

Well, some in the Owensboro area might disagree. Hasn't Owensboro High made some charges in recent years?

Not against the football team. There was a charge against the basketball team a few years ago, but nothing materialized. If you have seen OCath play, you would have to agree that there's nothing that makes you say: Wow, they are physically impressive.

Probably stronger than the east this year.

Most of the rest of the team is back ... the defense is better and the offense is still very effective.

I think Owensboro Catholic's players will somehow make the adjustment.

Owensboro Catholic's enrollment keeps dropping ... it isn't like the school is so well-funded.

 

And ... have you seen the public schools' record against private schools in this year's playoffs?

It's the freakin' state championship ... I suspect both teams "want" it.

Really? DeSales scored 55 points last week and just seven this week. It must not be that weak.

Wasn't John Edge the BGP Coach of the Year last season? Haven't the Aces beaten three straight ranked teams?

Judging from the OCath fans on this board ...

Spread the defense out, then, and see what happens.

Possibly, but the Aces haven't faced a bunch of lightweights either ... South Spencer, Owensboro, Apollo, Trigg County, Fort Campbell and DeSales. Probably a tougher schedule than Russell has faced.

 

Please help a guy who just can't figure out what your point is? Not trying to be smart just don't understand.

Please help a guy who just can't figure out what your point is? Not trying to be smart just don't understand.
Most of his 10 points were pretty ridiculous ... I'm simply challenging them.
Well if you look at that DC/OC game last year, it is true that wing T was a problem, however what made that interesting was the QB from DC (Wimsatt) was a very effective QB with the arm and his running ability. While I admit I do not know that much about the Russell QB, if he is good as Wimsatt, then the Aces could be in for a long night. The defense from Catholic is definitely better and I think (hope) they will be able to adjust

 

I have no idea how good Wimsatt is but I suspect he is very good. I think Tommy Brown has what it takes. He broke one for 80 yards against Belfry.

Most of his 10 points were pretty ridiculous ... I'm simply challenging them.

 

Okay I got Cha.

Most of his 10 points were pretty ridiculous ... I'm simply challenging them.

Westsider -

I believe that the post that your response was meant for was made as a sarcastic stab by an OC fan - effectively mocking the Russell fans. The ten points he made were all "tongue-in-cheek", and were meant as hyperbole (again, mocking the Russell posts to that point in the thread).

 

Frances

 

PS - I could be wrong, but if you read the posts leading up to that one, that is the way I took it....

OCath had no success running the football against Trigg County in the second round except for a couple of runs around the end by Kamuf. If Russell has a pair of 300-pounders at DT who can play, they could stop OCath up the middle. But as they showed with Trigg, if they can't stop the pass, it will be a long night.

 

I don't know about either team seeing another team as physical, big, etc. But I'm fairly certain Russell has not seen this type of offense this year. Make no mistake, the no huddle wears a team down quick. Against a team that plays many both ways, it will take a toll.

 

My question for OCath fans is this. Is the loss to Daviess County last year the last time you played a quality true Wing-T team with an athletic quarterback? If so, I would go back to that game film and see how they picked you apart and plan for that this week because it appears as if Russell mirrors that scenario.

 

 

Daviess County Runs the same offense as Catholic. They threw the ball out of the gun all night. Barnes left the wing-t.

Westsider -

I believe that the post that your response was meant for was made as a sarcastic stab by an OC fan - effectively mocking the Russell fans. The ten points he made were all "tongue-in-cheek", and were meant as hyperbole (again, mocking the Russell posts to that point in the thread).

 

Frances

 

PS - I could be wrong, but if you read the posts leading up to that one, that is the way I took it....

Probably true, Frances. I wasn't analyzing jman's previous posts. I just get tired of reading ridiculous assertions instead of rational, coherent analysis.
... I just get tired of reading ridiculous assertions instead of rational, coherent analysis.

 

I'll have to climb on that bandwagon with you, westsider. Some of these posts seem to be written by eighth graders that have never been outside of their county lines.

 

Frances

I'll have to climb on that bandwagon with you, westsider. Some of these posts seem to be written by eighth graders that have never been outside of their county lines.

 

Frances

Well said by both Aunt Bee and Westsider. Nothing said on these boards will alter what happens on the field. There should be two boards. One for the usual usless banter between fans and one for the discussion of the X 's and O's.

There would only be four Russell fans and two OCath fans posting about Xs and Os if we did that.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.