Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class 2A Final: Owensboro Catholic/Russell discussion

Who wins the 2A State Title? 200 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins the 2A State Title?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Except for Woodall from Trigg, Catholic hasn't seen a good, multi-threat quarterback in the playoffs. I think Brown from Russell will be the best they have seen in the postseason.

There is no question that Brown is IMO the X factor is this game...If you stack the defense he can get you with a pass. DeSales and Fort Campbell was a one way offense (run), but this Russell team can go to the pass if needed and by all indications they have not needed it much at least in the playoffs. Russell fans correct me if I am wrong about this.

  • Replies 336
  • Views 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There would only be four Russell fans and two OCath fans posting about Xs and Os if we did that.

I agree. Well the post would at least have some meaning...Throw the emotions out and let pure football talk in.

You make a good point about Brown. I see Russell's defense as the key to this game. The Aces scored 35 against a big, athletic Trigg team and 28 against a big, athletic x 2 Fort Campbell team. If Russell gives up more than 21 points, they lose. If they hold the Aces under 21, they win.

There is no question that Brown is IMO the X factor is this game...If you stack the defense he can get you with a pass. DeSales and Fort Campbell was a one way offense (run), but this Russell team can go to the pass if needed and by all indications they have not needed it much at least in the playoffs. Russell fans correct me if I am wrong about this.

 

 

No correction needed. You are right on target.

You make a good point about Brown. I see Russell's defense as the key to this game. The Aces scored 35 against a big, athletic Trigg team and 28 against a big, athletic x 2 Fort Campbell team. If Russell gives up more than 21 points, they lose. If they hold the Aces under 21, they win.

 

Someone made the comment that OCath had difficulty with the

athleticism of the defensive line, and not necessarily with the size.

This characterizes Russell's lines as well. They are not particularly big,

but they are smart, quick, physical (at least as physical as anyone we

have played this year, but not necessarily as physical as anyone OCath

has played), and athletic.

 

What is yet to be seen is how well OCath will match up against the

balanced (relative to previous Russell teams) Red Devil attack. Brown

may well be the best multi-purpose QB OCath has seen this year and

that may present the most problems for the ACES' defense.

Someone made the comment that OCath had difficulty with the

athleticism of the defensive line, and not necessarily with the size.

This characterizes Russell's lines as well. They are not particularly big,

but they are smart, quick, physical (at least as physical as anyone we

have played this year, but not necessarily as physical as anyone OCath

has played), and athletic.

 

What is yet to be seen is how well OCath will match up against the

balanced (relative to previous Russell teams) Red Devil attack. Brown

may well be the best multi-purpose QB OCath has seen this year and

that may present the most problems for the ACES' defense.

Not to mention Brown can hurt a team with the qb Keeper also with his speed.

You make a good point about Brown. I see Russell's defense as the key to this game. The Aces scored 35 against a big, athletic Trigg team and 28 against a big, athletic x 2 Fort Campbell team. If Russell gives up more than 21 points, they lose. If they hold the Aces under 21, they win.

I am not real good at predicting score and such, but I do not see either team scoring 21 points, unless by turnovers early in the game or special teams having big games. Russell can and will control the clock with the running game, no question. If the rushing game is not getting the job done (unlikely) the second option of Russell (passing) negates the clock issue. It is up to the Aces to not let Russell control the clock by having the defense ready to do just that. I do believe that the defense for Russell is capable of stopping the run, but what about the pass. With Horn out, and IF the Aces O line can hold the blocks how successful will the OC passing game be. Was Horn more of an asset on defense of offense? I know I am playing out a few "what if's", just trying to get some prospectives. Also can someone tell me about the special teams of Russell. It is known they have a very good kicking game, but what about KO coverage and scoring (punts and kickoffs). Do they have many yards/TD's from special teams?

Someone made the comment that OCath had difficulty with the

athleticism of the defensive line, and not necessarily with the size.

This characterizes Russell's lines as well. They are not particularly big,

but they are smart, quick, physical (at least as physical as anyone we

have played this year, but not necessarily as physical as anyone OCath

has played), and athletic.

 

What is yet to be seen is how well OCath will match up against the

balanced (relative to previous Russell teams) Red attack. Brown

may well be the best multi-purpose QB OCath has seen this year and

that may present the most problems for the ACES' defense.

Brown sounds like Timmy Wimsatt from Daviess Co. last year. How do you defend a guy that, if you freeze the LB's he passes. If LB's drop back the running game (either the qb or rb's) will benefit. I think that both teams defensive coach are having nightmares right now!!

This is a very close poll

Good for the fans to have something to talk about. I wonder how many fans have seen both teams. I know I have not.

I am not real good at predicting score and such, but I do not see either team scoring 21 points, unless by turnovers early in the game or special teams having big games. Russell can and will control the clock with the running game, no question. If the rushing game is not getting the job done (unlikely) the second option of Russell (passing) negates the clock issue. It is up to the Aces to not let Russell control the clock by having the defense ready to do just that. I do believe that the defense for Russell is capable of stopping the run, but what about the pass. With Horn out, and IF the Aces O line can hold the blocks how successful will the OC passing game be. Was Horn more of an asset on defense of offense? I know I am playing out a few "what if's", just trying to get some prospectives. Also can someone tell me about the special teams of Russell. It is known they have a very good kicking game, but what about KO coverage and scoring (punts and kickoffs). Do they have many yards/TD's from special teams?

Yes Russell blocked a punt against Ashland and took it in for the score. Russell also blocked two extra points against Newport.

I look for Nick Lewis to come in and have a Big game next sat for the injured Horn.

I look for Nick Lewis to come in and have a Big game next sat for the injured Horn.

Is that from the offensive side or defensive side of the ball or both?

Is that from the offensive side or defensive side of the ball or both?

Both I believe not sure but thats who replaced him when he got hurt and I assume thats who will replace him sat, there about the same height and weight.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.