Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class 2A Final: Owensboro Catholic/Russell discussion

Who wins the 2A State Title? 200 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins the 2A State Title?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Russell's bread and butter is the run, but they are also not afraid to go to the air. The Red Devils have been very successful throwing the ball this year.

 

If they are successful throwing the football this will be in their favor, however, the coaching staff may have to make a decision about whether that would be wise or not. As you know, when you pass the football it doesn't eat up the clock.

  • Replies 336
  • Views 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell's bread and butter is the run, but they are also not afraid to go to the air. The Red Devils have been very successful throwing the ball this year.

 

It would not hurt my feelings one bit if Russell goes to the air. Our secondary has over 30 int's.

It took me long enough to get in this post. The keys to this game are the same as the last three games.

1. Can Russel stay fresh throughout the whole game? If they play 8 or 9 guys both ways it will be difficult, but Russell has to have great athletes to be in the Pizza Box so I won't be surprised of they don't get tired.

 

2. Will OC make Russell pass? It's obvious Russel is a very good running team, and I would assume they don't want to have to throw. OC has made their last couple opponents, who weren't passing teams, try and pass the ball. Catholic can score very quickly and make a coach go to the pass more than he would like. Look at DeSales. They were not a good passing team and for some reason they got away from the run and decided to throw a lot more.

 

3. Catholic tackling. OC must tackle well to win. I have seen almost every OC game this year and very rarely have I thought the Aces were the better tackling team. The Aces better cowboy up and be ready to hit somebody if they want the hardware.

 

My prediction:OC 35 Russel 20

 

I guess the only team that was good tacklers against Catholic was OHS. That was the only time this year Catholic got out hit. When you see players from teh opposing team quit and take themselves out then you know they are quitting. There are times Catholic players have shown poor tackling. OH well it is just like offense, you play the next play.

Good luck to Russell. I hope they win the title that they've been so close to for years.

 

I cast my vote for O-Cath though, because I remember reading something about how they have progressed one step further in the playoffs every year for the past 4 or 5 seasons...the end of that progression is a state title this year.

 

Maybe that's a stupid reason, but that's all I got to go by.

Good luck to Russell. I hope they win the title that they've been so close to for years.

 

I cast my vote for O-Cath though, because I remember reading something about how they have progressed one step further in the playoffs every year for the past 4 or 5 seasons...the end of that progression is a state title this year.

 

Maybe that's a stupid reason, but that's all I got to go by.

 

You are right. Since 2000, Catholic has gone one step further each year:

 

2000 - Made it to the first round and lost to Caldwell Co.

2001 - Made it to the 2nd round and lost to Trigg Co.

2002 - Made it to the 3rd round (Regional) and lost to Webster Co.

2003 - Regional Champs, Made it to the Semi-State and lost to Etown

2004 - Semi-State Champs, Made it to the Final and lost to Belfry

2005 -- Who knows?

 

Interesting trend that everyone would have to agree would be kind of unique if it played out this year

Here's my two cents worth: Don't know anything about O-Cath other than what I've gleaned from posters but they are obviously a passing/spread offense type team. IMO, Russell has the most balanced offensive attack in recent years. The Wing-T has always been there for the Devils, but it seems we've found a whole new gear for our passing game in the playoffs. O-Cath posters have to understand that this is a great departure from the normal offense that Russell runs. If Tommy Brown can pass and connect like he has in recent games it will most certainly keep the O-Cath defense on their heels. Our defense has been solid all season long. (Except for a brief hiatus that was the Boyd Co. game and that has already been explained on this thread.) I do hope they work this week on getting to the QB. I think Ivan and the other coaches have to keep the stars out of our players eyes especially when they get to PJ Stadium. I'll give an edge to O-Cath in that their squad has been there before and know what to expect. I do know that Russell will show up and play their game. Hopefully, it will be good enough to collect some hardware and jewelry. I'm also predicting a very large fan base of support for the Devils. :devil:

Look for the Devils to go down Friday night and maybe visit the stadium during the 4A game.

Ocath is going to be too much for Russell to handle. Nuff said.

Thats a pretty big what if.

 

Also not likely.

 

 

Why are you so sure of that?

Wasnt he possibly going to retire last year ?

and do you really think he will coach into his 70's ?

 

 

I like McGlone, just believe it is not out of the realm of possibiliies - and certainly not that big an "if" considering is age, length of tenure, and other non-football concerns which Im sure are more important to him.

 

1 thing against it is his demeanor. he's more likely to just wait until months after a season & just say adios with no fanfare. Hes old school - Im just hoping he decides to let the team go down the day before and/or take a nice bus rather than just hopping on an old school bus & showing up for kickoff :D

 

Cheers, Woody Jr

Someone made the comment that OCath had difficulty with the

athleticism of the defensive line, and not necessarily with the size.

This characterizes Russell's lines as well. They are not particularly big,

but they are smart, quick, physical (at least as physical as anyone we

have played this year, but not necessarily as physical as anyone OCath

has played), and athletic.

 

What is yet to be seen is how well OCath will match up against the

balanced (relative to previous Russell teams) Red Devil attack. Brown

may well be the best multi-purpose QB OCath has seen this year and

that may present the most problems for the ACES' defense.

 

I don't think Catholic had any problems with Ft.Campbell D Line. They had over 189 yards rushing against Ft.Campbell. Something nobody has done this year. In the Trigg game they had only 121 yards, according to the Messenger-Inquirer and alot of that was Woodward, but rushing yards are rushing yards. Anyway, I don't think a Athletic D-Line will be a problem for Catholic. Especially if Catholic's O-Line is considered the best in AA, if not the best in KY. Oh one kid going both ways and Russell has 7. That is going to be trouble.

I don't think Catholic had any problems with Ft.Campbell D Line. They had over 189 yards rushing against Ft.Campbell. Something nobody has done this year. In the Trigg game they had only 121 yards, according to the Messenger-Inquirer and alot of that was Woodward, but rushing yards are rushing yards. Anyway, I don't think a Athletic D-Line will be a problem for Catholic. Especially if Catholic's O-Line is considered the best in AA, if not the best in KY. Oh one kid going both ways and Russell has 7. That is going to be trouble.

I totally agree, I bet Russell is spent by midway thru the 3rd quarter. If they are then the romp will be on!

Why are you so sure of that?

Wasnt he possibly going to retire last year ?

and do you really think he will coach into his 70's ?

 

 

I like McGlone, just believe it is not out of the realm of possibiliies - and certainly not that big an "if" considering is age, length of tenure, and other non-football concerns which Im sure are more important to him.

 

1 thing against it is his demeanor. he's more likely to just wait until months after a season & just say adios with no fanfare. Hes old school - Im just hoping he decides to let the team go down the day before and/or take a nice bus rather than just hopping on an old school bus & showing up for kickoff :D

 

Cheers, Woody Jr

:rolleyes:

I know better than you. You can make all the speculations you want.

Rafterman,

 

Your last 2 points are good ones and I would have to agree. IMO the Catholic defense has done a good job against the run this year. At times, they have given up yards, but they have contained some really good running teams. I don't think Russell will have the same team speed as Ft. Campbell. Catholic's weak spot is their pass defense IMO. Russell may not want to go to the air much, but this is where they might have some success.

I would say Russell's team speed is as good as anybody in AA.

LOL - after reading all of these posts, I bet Ivan McGlone wishes he had some athletes with some stamina, instead of all of the asthmatic kids that have to wear corrective shoes and suffer from scoliosis.

 

I'd be willing to bet that some of the kids that play for Russell don't even realize just how out of shape they are. Poor fools...

 

No question about it - it'll be like lambs to the slaughter.

 

Frances

Woody,

 

I totally understand your line of thinking, but I really don't believe that Coach McGlone is ready to hang it up, win or lose Saturday. I honestly thought that Coach McGlone and my uncle (Grady Walter) would retire together, but as long as Coach McGlone is having fun at what he is doing, then I see no reason for him to call it quits. I don't know if you have to retire before you are eligible, but if you do then Coach McGlone should be escorted straight to the Hall of Fame as soon as he does decide he's had enough.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.