Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class 2A Final: Owensboro Catholic/Russell discussion

Who wins the 2A State Title? 200 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins the 2A State Title?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

As much as I would have loved to have seen Newport beat Russell so they could be in the state game i'm gonna have to pull for Russell. Bring the title back to Region 3 so everyone in the state knows where the best teams come from. Go RUSSELL!!!!!!

:thumb: :ylsuper: :devil: :fire: :fire: :fire:

  • Replies 336
  • Views 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about it 2-shirts! If you speak objectively on here some fans think you instantly speak negatively of their team. Its called being sensitive. I agree with your points.

 

:walk:

 

When someone makes a statement like " I'm sure that Russell has good team speed, but I can assure you that they are not anywhere close to Ft. Campbell or Trigg County", it leads me to assume that a) that person has statistics to base this opinion on, or; b) that person has seen all of these teams play (that's where the "visual" part comes in).

 

I'm definitely not being sensitive, I just like to know what we are facing since I have neither a or b above. I am trying to plow through the opinions and hype and get to the true picture.

Well, that why fans, family, and friends get on here to tout their teams and have fun talking. Thanks for stating the obvious, that the game will be played and decided on Saturday.

 

:flame:

I'm glad we all acknowledge on the field because after reading the OCath post I was ready to hand them the Championship! ;)

Don't worry about it 2-shirts! If you speak objectively on here some fans think you instantly speak negatively of their team. Its called being sensitive. I agree with your points.

 

:walk:

 

This coming from a OC fan. :rolleyes:

When someone makes a statement like " I'm sure that Russell has good team speed, but I can assure you that they are not anywhere close to Ft. Campbell or Trigg County", it leads me to assume that a) that person has statistics to base this opinion on, or; b) that person has seen all of these teams play (that's where the "visual" part comes in).

 

I'm definitely not being sensitive, I just like to know what we are facing since I have neither a or b above. I am trying to plow through the opinions and hype and get to the true picture.

 

Hopefully, my points are clearer now.

I hope this game lives up to the dicussions!! Anyway good luck ACES and GO DEVILS! :devil: :fire: :devil:

What I want to know about this matchup is this --

 

For OC fans. Who was the last solid, true wing-T team you played that gave you some trouble and do you use that to prepare for this week?

 

For Russell fans. Who was the last no-huddle spread team you played that gave you some trouble and do you look at that gameplan to prepare for this week?

 

No copying off anyone else's paper either!!

 

Probably Fleming County was closest to that type offense :fire:

They also defend the wing-t very well. I think they gave up less than 20 points total in 3 games that I know the teams run that offense.

 

I don't know who the other two teams OCath played that ran the wing-T, but I can guarantee you that the offensive system Russell runs is NOTHING close to the wing-T run by DeSales. There are MANY variations of the wing-T. DeSales style is more like Greenup's under TJ Maynard, with double wing sets and many jet plays. They also like to run the half-back with a fullback lead block. What does that mean? Nothing really. However, to say "OCath has been successful defending the Wing-T, so they should have no problem with Russell" is like saying "Russell has been successful in defending the pass, so they should have no problem with defending OCath". The offensive system, sets, execution, blocking, etc. dictate your success, not just previous experience against a certain type of offense.

 

As far as bragging about having 30 int's, you should be proud of that fact. However, how many spread passing offenses has OCath played? I would say several. Playing those types of teams requires your defense to focus on the pass. Now getting 30 int's is EXTREMELY impressive, I'm taking nothing away from that. However, it is not even closely comparable and really shouldn't be brought up. What needs to be seen is how many int's can you get when you are focusing on the run and stacking 8-9 players in the box. If you don't stack 8-9 in the box, it will be a LONG night, er afternoon.

how many spread passing offenses has OCath played? I would say several.

 

Actually, they have only played 3 teams that we similar to OCath -- Edmonson Co. Daviess Co. and Hart Co. These teams were not very good, however, Edmonson did score 29 (?) through the air. Most of the teams that Catholic has played have been predominantly running teams.

I will have to say that I see O Cath coming out on top in this one. They made it to State last year and missed their chance but I don't think that they will slip up again.

Actually, they have only played 3 teams that we similar to OCath -- Edmonson Co. Daviess Co. and Hart Co. These teams were not very good, however, Edmonson did score 29 (?) through the air. Most of the teams that Catholic has played have been predominantly running teams.

 

I didn't say similar to OCath, I said spread teams that throw. Did you forget about Trigg? I saw them spread the field and throw the ball a TON!

I'm sure that Russell has good team speed, but I can assure you that they are not anywhere close to Ft. Campbell or Trigg County. I am including Catholic in my constructive criticism as well. They are not fast (compared to FC). Ft. Campbell & Trigg made Catholic look very slow. Russell may have more team speed than Catholic? When you see Catholic play, you won't be impressed by their athletic stature.

If you have seen Russell, Ft Campbell, and Trigg all three play in person I will take your word for it. Personally I have not seen the Western Ky teams except for highlights. I stand by my statement though. 1-11 I don't see any AA teams having better speed than Russell's. Maybe one or two players that are really fast, but 1-11 I don't think so.

If you have seen Russell, Ft Campbell, and Trigg all three play in person I will take your word for it. Personally I have not seen the Western Ky teams except for highlights. I stand by my statement though. 1-11 I don't see any AA teams having better speed than Russell's. Maybe one or two players that are really fast, but 1-11 I don't think so.

 

O.K., okie dokie, alrighty then! :thumb:

If you have seen Russell, Ft Campbell, and Trigg all three play in person I will take your word for it. Personally I have not seen the Western Ky teams except for highlights. I stand by my statement though. 1-11 I don't see any AA teams having better speed than Russell's. Maybe one or two players that are really fast, but 1-11 I don't think so.

 

That's the important point that I think people have been missing...Russell's team is not full of track stars...No one has stated that...You probably won't look at them, especially on film where everyone generally looks slower, and say WOW that's the fastest team I've ever seen...What Russell does have is several kids with above average speed who close to the ball well and no one who is fat and slow...It is rare that a team does not put anyone out there who has "questionable" mobility...So, what Fball says is pretty accurate about team speed 1-11...On the downside, you can sometimes give up some size & strength when you have this type of team...We very rarely play a game where we look bigger than our opponent...

 

Now, if I had a choice I'd take size and speed (wouldn't we all) but I will give up some size and "possible" strength for overall team speed...

one thing you will notice when you watch the Devils is that the big guys- Mell, Shafer are not BIG. They are solid and yet have great speed for lineman wqe do give up size to alot of teams BUT not strength. I think our kids have the total package when it comes to size. Of course we would love to have some 6'9" 4.40 40 runners or lineman. Hey have you seen any who dont have plans for Saturday ????? Joking- I think our boys are the best of both packages all rolled up into one. Onr thing to remember about the offense. Take the guards and put running back jerseys on them and they are backs. Take the backs and put lineman jerseys on them and watch them knock the living stuffing out of you. Our kids hit and they hit hard.... Alot of points in here but I feel that they are all true. Hey Devils58 correct me if I am wrong. I will use you as a sounding board because I know you know football and even if you are a Devils fan you can keep us iincheck with reality. I thank you for that and it is a pleasure to know you

 

Next .....

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.