Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Class 2A Final: Owensboro Catholic/Russell discussion

Who wins the 2A State Title? 200 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins the 2A State Title?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

From the story in the Owensboro newspaper, Desales Wing T offense moved the ball versus OC. They failed to score on three possessions inside the 15 yard line. Maybe Russell can convert if and when they get into the red zone.

You are right. They were able to find a few seams. I must tell you that the one RB (Harrett) was quick and good, but he was also so small that it was hard to see him in the land of the line men. They were able to be deceptive with him.. It froze the linemen a few times, because they were not sure if he had the ball or not. DeSales did shoot them selves in the foot with some misscues in the red zone. The Aces defense seemed to really step up also at the best times. Would DeSales had scored? I do not know, but I was proud of the defense nevertheless.

  • Replies 336
  • Views 30.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant see OC running 80 plays a game against Russell, Russell controls the ball toomuch and I dont care what type of no huddle offense they run I dont see it. Well if you run 3 and out 26 possesions that might give you 80 plays. I can see that happening if we played all day. Really I dont see OC running that many plays.

Without a doubt. Catholic will not run that many plays with the the way Russell controls the clock with the ground game. OC is going to have to make every procession count. My question is this: If OC gets down after a some long time consumming drive by Russell and then that quick strike offense turns the game around score wise in OC favors, will Russell be able to respond with little time left on the clock? I quess what I am asking is do they have the 50 yard td runner or is most of their stuff just 3-6 yards at a time running?

Without a doubt. Catholic will not run that many plays with the the way Russell controls the clock with the ground game. OC is going to have to make every procession count. My question is this: If OC gets down after a some long time consumming drive by Russell and then that quick strike offense turns the game around score wise in OC favors, will Russell be able to respond with little time left on the clock? I quess what I am asking is do they have the 50 yard td runner or is most of their stuff just 3-6 yards at a time running?

Yes we have some guys who can Run a 50 yard td if they get loose.

Yes we have some guys who can Run a 50 yard td if they get loose.

I think I was told that Russell does run some "jet sweep" plays at times, but that by and large they run between the tackles. I suppose they take what the defense gives or maybe better they take what they want with that running game. I do like a hard running team, pure football no doubt. In all fairness, how do the fans from Russell feel that the running game with the s compare to Belfry running game from last year?

I think I was told that Russell does run some "jet sweep" plays at times, but that by and large they run between the tackles. I suppose they take what the defense gives or maybe better they take what they want with that running game. I do like a hard running team, pure football no doubt. In all fairness, how do the fans from Russell feel that the running game with the s compare to Belfry running game from last year?

Sorry it should "say running game with the Russell team"

... If OC gets down after a some long time consumming drive by Russell

and then that quick strike offense turns the game around score wise

in OC favors, will Russell be able to respond with little time left on the

clock? I quess what I am asking is do they have the 50 yard td

runner or is most of their stuff just 3-6 yards at a time running?

 

Russell definantly has the ability to break a long run if they get into the

open field and yes, Russell has been able to score quickly if necessary

(see the game tying drive against Newport), but they would definantly

prefer to run between the tackles and grind it out. I will take into

account that OCath has a good defense, but I doubt it is any better

than any team that Russell has already played, though it is really impossible

for anyone to tell. The only team to beat Russell this year was Boyd Co.

and that was due to a few factors. First, it was a let down game after

playing Ashland. Second, Boyd had a coach that was a former Russell

player. Third, and perhaps most importantly, Boyd was able to spread

the Devil defense and run up the middle. This bothers me because it

would seem that OCath runs a similar offense. However, we must re-

member, that this is week 16 and that game was week 4, so many

things have changed.

 

If the Devils can control the clock like they did for the first half of the

Belfry game, they will win. If Russell can keep the ball for about 8

minutes more than OCath, they will have a shot. If Russell gets blown

off the ball for most of the game, they will be in trouble. I doubt that

will happen however as this o-line has held up well against some huge

and talented lines.

 

This should be a good one; I can't wait for Saturday.

I agree with the talent factor of other teams. Mercer's line was huge, They had kids that were 6'5" and around 320. The other kids were all around 290 to 330. They were huge. Devils were faster and even thou they were not as big, we blew them off the ball. As far as running the ball, every one of the backs have the ability to break big runs, Our fullback has broken HUGE runs righ up the middle. Focus on one back and the other 3 will burn you. Put 2-3 kids on a read for a back and that will open the other one. I am not saying that Russell will absolutely dominate the Aces for the entire game. The Devils will run the ball and control the clock. We will make you substitute on defense or we will wear you out. Granted haveing 2 seperate teams to play both sides is a gift. We dont have that. We play some sophomore already on the starting team. And to be honest we do not have a Senior stacked team.

This game could be a classic and go down to the wire. I know nothing about O.C. but listening to the BGPers on here they are without a doubt the real deal and thier record stands for itself. This game could vertually come down to the kicking game. The Evans kid has become an exceptional kicker for the Red Devils after following in the foot steps of the Meko kid who owns the Russell school record for longest field goal. Evans is a very consistant kicker and has made some key kicks in crucial situations for the Red Devils. Winning kick over Newport!! Evans wins this one for the Red Devils.

 

Russell 28

O.C. 27

 

:fire:

When OC is in the spread how successfull thru the season has OC been running with single back between the tackles?One example did OC have success running up the middle against Fort Campbell?

I know OC is a passing team ,but can they hit it up the middle and move the football when needed with the defense is spread out thin?

  • Author

OCath had no success running the football against Trigg County in the second round except for a couple of runs around the end by Kamuf. If Russell has a pair of 300-pounders at DT who can play, they could stop OCath up the middle. But as they showed with Trigg, if they can't stop the pass, it will be a long night.

 

I don't know about either team seeing another team as physical, big, etc. But I'm fairly certain Russell has not seen this type of offense this year. Make no mistake, the no huddle wears a team down quick. Against a team that plays many both ways, it will take a toll.

 

My question for OCath fans is this. Is the loss to Daviess County last year the last time you played a quality true Wing-T team with an athletic quarterback? If so, I would go back to that game film and see how they picked you apart and plan for that this week because it appears as if Russell mirrors that scenario.

The way Daviess County burned Catholic last year was with the pass. They threw all over Catholic with Wimsatt just throwing as far as he could and letting Logsdon run under it. I don't think they even used the wingT that game at all.

 

I agree that Catholic didn't have much success running against Trigg but the aces had a lot of success against both Fort Campbell and Desales.

Agreed w/ Jeepman. Could very possible come down kicking game. Russell kicking game has not been utilzed to it's fullest in past few weeks. #23 Evans has kicked 40 -45 yrds in many practices and is hitting mid 90% PAT's. Dolley has improved on the kickoffs also. Meko tied the record of 47 yrds in 1974, Clyde Waggoner agaisnt Raceland and bounced off goal posts and went in. But thanks for recognizing the kicking game.

When OC is in the spread how successfull thru the season has OC been running with single back between the tackles?One example did OC have success running up the middle against Fort Campbell?

I know OC is a passing team ,but can they hit it up the middle and move the football when needed with the defense is spread out thin?

 

Catholic ran very well against Fort Campbell. Ijames and Kamuf combined for around 150 yds. FC was giving up less than 75 yds on the ground per game.

The way Daviess County burned Catholic last year was with the pass. They threw all over Catholic with Wimsatt just throwing as far as he could and letting Logsdon run under it. I don't think they even used the wingT that game at all.

 

I agree that Catholic didn't have much success running against Trigg but the aces had a lot of success against both Fort Campbell and Desales.

 

Last year is history....but your right they threw all over us that night. They did not beat us with the run. Difference is this Defensive unit has over 30 int's. So I dont see any team passing too much on us.

OCath had no success running the football against Trigg County in the second round except for a couple of runs around the end by Kamuf. If Russell has a pair of 300-pounders at DT who can play, they could stop OCath up the middle. But as they showed with Trigg, if they can't stop the pass, it will be a long night.

 

I don't know about either team seeing another team as physical, big, etc. But I'm fairly certain Russell has not seen this type of offense this year. Make no mistake, the no huddle wears a team down quick. Against a team that plays many both ways, it will take a toll.

 

My question for OCath fans is this. Is the loss to Daviess County last year the last time you played a quality true Wing-T team with an athletic quarterback? If so, I would go back to that game film and see how they picked you apart and plan for that this week because it appears as if Russell mirrors that scenario.

Well if you look at that DC/OC game last year, it is true that wing T was a problem, however what made that interesting was the QB from DC (Wimsatt) was a very effective QB with the arm and his running ability. While I admit I do not know that much about the Russell QB, if he is good as Wimsatt, then the Aces could be in for a long night. The defense from Catholic is definitely better and I think (hope) they will be able to adjust

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.